Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289274 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The great love triangle/rivalry there is Scooby and Shaggy over the Snacks, of course.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Velma from Scooby-Doo is now a lesbian.

I'm confused; was she ever not?

Not in 1969 I don’t think.

As the article says, it seems that many viewers always recognised her as a lesbian even if it was never explicitly stated.

Completely over my head - I don't think I ever gave a moment's thought to the sexuality of the characters when watching Scooby Doo as a kid.

If they want to be really subversive, they should make Fred come out as non-binary.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

It's one of those questions about autonomy of fictional characters. The writers may have never intended her to be lesbian (probably they never considered it either way) but then as the story goes on, she gains various characteristics which lead first a section of the audience and ultimately the writers to see her that way. Or maybe they had this in mind all along, but back in 1969 it was just too controversial to be openly stated. My guess though is it was irrelevant back then and has only come about more recently, whether deliberately or just evolved.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I believe she was originally inspired by someone else's character, and the queer-coding was entirely accidental.

Add an audience deliberately deprived of positive representation (for decades, deliberately queer-coded characters tended to be villains or comic relief, and explicitly LGBT characters tended to come to a tragic end), and this sort of thing's bound to happen from time to time.

I can't believe that Shaggy wasn't intended to be a stoner, thobut.  Scruffy, drives a van with a custom flowery paintjob and constantly hungry?  They knew all about hippies in the sixties.

citoyen

Lovely clip I just saw on Twitter from a time* when science on telly was done proper:

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/status/1581790453867089920?s=20&t=A0bxcBEYaS4ORjLorAYQTg

*1977, clip is of the Voyager 2 launch, presented by James Burke

Awesome timing.  :thumbsup:

citoyen

I was slightly mean about Radio 4 elsewhere, but they can be forgiven a lot for giving us John Finnemore - a friend just reminded me of this timely sketch…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LDoBVbmWxxM

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
RIP Mimi Parker of Low.  Fuck cancer >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Just watching the wonderful Richard Osman's House of Games.

Blimey, that Jamie Laing is as thick as whale omelette.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I hope forummers are aware of the excellent Brian Bilston, 21st century bard. This morning's efforts were some haikus, and one I thought was superb. It's entitled "The Constraints of Haiku".

Tied up all night with
A haiku dominatrix
And her three-line whip.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I've just seen the Nike World Cup advert.
My old office features heavily in it.
The ad was filmed on our premises during the summer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I hope forummers are aware of the excellent Brian Bilston, 21st century bard. This morning's efforts were some haikus, and one I thought was superb. It's entitled "The Constraints of Haiku".

Tied up all night with
A haiku dominatrix
And her three-line whip.

I see you've given him his own thread…

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Mike Batt's Festive Schmaltz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oTwnD1zBZM

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

I heard there was going to be a Barbie movie out next year. Normally, this wouldn’t be of much interest to me. But then I heard it was being directed by the brilliant Greta Gerwig. And then I saw the trailer…

O. M. F. G.

This looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/8zIf0XvoL9Y

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's going to be hard to beat that trailer, certainly.

Cudzoziemiec

They could have improved the trailer if, when the doll is launched into the air, one of he other Little Girls shoots it down with a crossbow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
They could have improved the trailer if, when the doll is launched into the air, one of he other Little Girls shoots it down with a crossbow.

Isn't that traditionally Action Man's job?

Cudzoziemiec

Isn't that traditionally Action Man's job?
I've just been reading What the *** is normal anyway? by Francesca Martinez, in which she describes falling for her first 'boyfriend' at the age of 3 or 4 because he had... a He Man castle with Skeletor!

citoyen

It's going to be hard to beat that trailer, certainly.

The film probably won't be anywhere near as good as the trailer.

I'm genuinely intrigued though - it's a product tie-in, which is always* a recipe for disaster, but Greta Gerwig directing suggests it might even be worth seeing.

*yes, including the Lego movie

Free Tom Lehrer.   

https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1604148566804819970

"Tom Lehrer has put all his songs online (including lyrics & sheet music), and given away all rights to them. The site will only be up for a limited time. This is a very niche tweet that will make a small segment of people very happy. https://tomlehrersongs.com "

https://tomlehrersongs.com/send-the-marines/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark