Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289234 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
New series of "The Infinite Monkey Cage" starts tomorrow on R4.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
And “The Dead Of Winter”, the latest tome from Mr S MacBride of Scotlandland, is just out.  Neither Logan McRae nor Oldcastle though it’s still set in the vicinity of Furryboottoon.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
I am now binge watching a BBC show, oddly on ITV catch-up: being Human

There is some astonishingly good writing in there, reasonably often matched by the performances.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I left the messages on my B2C machine's display in the original Italian because when you sing them it sounds like opera.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I'm not a particular fan of U2 (R pretentious) but their tiny desk performance is entertaining, largely because of Edge and the choir I suspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxo-loXdcH0

I just played "Banging In The Nails" by the Tiger Lillie's to a former monk.   He loved it.... :jurek:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Hurrah: The lovely chaps at Rockosmos have just informed me that my copy of “Hologram”, the new album by the mighty Amplifier, is on its way to Larrington Towers :thumbsup:

Bah: I'm away cat-sitting for the thick end of a fortnight starting tomorrow  :'(

I'm always on the lookout for new authors in my preferred genre (crime/thriller basically, easy reading mostly) and trawl Fantastic Fiction for inspiration. An I right to be prejudiced against those authors who's publication history shows 3 or 4 books in a single year?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Depends which year ;D  Some of them kept very busy during the Plague Season.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
BBC 6 Music are dicking around with their evening schedule. This means that from June (I think) Gideon Coe's show is mostly axed and he's going to do a time share with Mark Riley.

Arse.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
BBC 6 Music are dicking around with their evening schedule. This means that from June (I think) Gideon Coe's show is mostly axed and he's going to do a time share with Mark Riley.

Arse.

I saw this mentioned elsewhere. Riley's slot is being taken over by Tom "Ravers" Ravenscroft and Deb Grant, both of whom I like but not as much as I like Marc Riley.

I've been following Gideon Coe's career since he was on Why Don't You? and fondly remember his morning show on GLR with Fi Glover. It's disappointing that he has been increasingly marginalised in recent years.

It's bad enough that we only get RadMac for a couple of hours on weekend mornings now. No doubt they'll all be shuffled off to Radio 2 before long.

Tenuous claim to fame corner: Gid Coe went to the same school as my son. And Robert Wyatt.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
He (Gid) was very magnanimous about the proposed changes. Words to the effect that his current show is his dream job in music and dream jobs don't last for ever. What this new time share format with Marc Riley will be like he doen't know but he'll do his damndest to make it work. 

Side note: Last night's show, with a tribute to his Dad (Jazz saxophonist Tony Coe) was fabby.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
You could argue that the link below is more properly something for ctrl-alt-del, but I reckon those of us who spend our days nose-deep in the IT slurry will already be well aware of the issues regarding ownership of digital products and, as the article makes clear, it's not just what we usually think of as software (operating systems, applications) that's affected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/04/arts/dahl-christie-stine-kindle-edited.html
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter

Arse.

:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

BBC manglement seem determined to piss off their audience.  https://twitter.com/christt/status/1643907076626718722

"I hear that in a BBC radio staff meeting yesterday, management told staff to reduce the age of people listening to
BBC6Music by 5-10 years, with an optimum of listeners in their early 30s. If true, this is madness: an utterly skewiff corporate notion of who might listen or why."

It's a Tory plot to make everything non viable so they've an excuse to kill it off....

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It's a Tory plot to make everything non viable so they've an excuse to kill it off....

"Managed decline" is the term you're after.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

"Managed decline" is the term you're after.
"C*nts" is actually the term you are after.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

You could argue that the link below is more properly something for ctrl-alt-del, but I reckon those of us who spend our days nose-deep in the IT slurry will already be well aware of the issues regarding ownership of digital products and, as the article makes clear, it's not just what we usually think of as software (operating systems, applications) that's affected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/04/arts/dahl-christie-stine-kindle-edited.html

Paywalled. I’ve “reached my limit of free articles” despite never reading the NYT.  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Switch Javascript off.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Beardy

• Shedist
Why is the Now TV TV app for LG TVs such a bag of crap. It’s bad enough that I have to tell it to display subtitles every time I start the app, but it also seems to pick and choose which programmes it’s going to remember you are watching. It’s garbage.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Mr von Brandenburg and chums on stage in Hoorn (.nl) last Friday.

L-R: Misha Nikolic, Martin Turner, Sonny Flint (aka Mr von B), Danny Willson

Viddied by Miss von Brandenburg, on an iPhone!