Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289383 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Following on from her triumphant, or at least not-coughing-too-much, appearance on “Start The Week” yesterday Professor Larrington is:

[…] on the Colin Murray show on BBCRadio5live, debating the superiority of Norse gods over the Greek gods. The apotheosis of #mediatartery says my dear husband ...

That’s tomorrow, BTW.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
One of those 'this'll make you feel old' type things...

The FT crossword the other day had TUBULAR BELLS as one of the solutions. It crossed my mind that there might be some date-related significance to the inclusion, so I looked it up...

Original UK release was 25 May 1973, so they missed the 50th anniversary by a few weeks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/may/01/michael-j-fox-describes-struggles-with-parkinsons

He has had a long struggle.

I found this astonishing:

Fox founded the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research in 2000 which has raised more than $1.75bn (£1.39bn) for research

$1.75 billion!

Ed Sheeran wins his case.

Not a huge fan but pleased he won.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Ever noticed how you never see a dirty car in what Netflux calls a "period piece" film?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ed Sheeran wins his case.

Not a huge fan but pleased he won.

I wonder if the plaintiffs will appeal? Or if the hedge fund manager who’s also suing as he owns the rights to Gaye’s music will continue after that verdict? And if no appeal, then do they get to pay costs from a previous $5 million odd settlement they got in another case to protect their father’s legacy?  (May contain traces of cynicism).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I suspect this one of those how old am I moments, but WTF £45 for an album  :o

citoyen

I suspect this one of those how old am I moments, but WTF £45 for an album  :o

Must be for some special edition coloured vinyl type thing, surely?

I go to quite a few in-store album launch events at Rough Trade, for which the price of entry is the cost of the album and you get to see the band performing it live at same time (and even get it signed if you’re prepared to queue afterwards).

If you opt for the CD, it’s generally around £12. The vinyl options tend to be upwards of £30, and £45 is not unheard of.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
He (Gid) was very magnanimous about the proposed changes. Words to the effect that his current show is his dream job in music and dream jobs don't last for ever. What this new time share format with Marc Riley will be like he doen't know but he'll do his damndest to make it work. 

Side note: Last night's show, with a tribute to his Dad (Jazz saxophonist Tony Coe) was fabby.

Nighty-night Gideon.

Hope the new collaboration works out.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Roger Taylor on drums for Sam Ryder's Eurovision piece...  ;D
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Concert tonight. Bach motet Jesu Meine Freude in part 1, Beethoven Mass in C in part 2. Not in the best fettle - I've been suffering from a dry wheezy cough for a few days. I decided I had enough voice to make some contribution, even though I had to stop a few times to suppress a cough. Standing up through the Beethoven was something of a challenge. It goes on a bit.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Roger Taylor on drums for Sam Ryder's Eurovision piece...  ;D

Spotted that.

And the final votes are announced…
It is simpler than it looks.

Another travesty at Eurovision.  Croatia robbed!  How Austria didn't win it? I neither understand the public nor the jury vote - clearly we were watching something completely different.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I had news alerts this morning about “Eurovision”. Why is this considered to be news?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
It is a significant international music competition, m'lud.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

Yeah, but *I* don’t care about it, therefore it is unworthy of coverage.

German Rammstein-esque group finding out the Eurovision appreciates it slightly less than a lack lustre British effort...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

I had news alerts this morning about “Eurovision”. Why is this considered to be news?
A competition to promote peace throughout Europe which dates back to 1956 ... so probably a couple years before you retired.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

It infuriates the Gammonariat, m'lud, because they believe that anything whose moniker contains the phrase “Euro” MUST be pArT oV tEh ,,,,,,,,,,,,, eU.

See also: ECHR, Council of Europe, etc &, moreover, ect.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/16/nations-favourite-cocktail-phillip-schofield-holly-willoughby-on-the-rocks

All rather over my head because I have no knowledge about any of the people named in the article, save that my younger son (aged 38 3/4) used to be quite enthusiastic about Philip Schofield when he used to occupy a broom cupboard with Gordon the Gopher. But is seems that people are reading it avidly. Reminds me rather of Rooney v Vardy.

ian

Yeah, but *I* don’t care about it, therefore it is unworthy of coverage.

As I missed it, on account of dutiful attendance at one of my wife's concerts, I now feel socially adrift since every conversation for the last three days has started and ended with Eurovision.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
So I got my sister's old (somewhat basic) musical keyboard she bought a while back, to teach herself keyboard playing.

A Pitchmaster PM54KSB, which had a weird 3.5mm mono jack as a power socket... So after a bit of hunting on Amazon for a replacement PSU, it's now working...

And here is me doing a bit of badly played Oxygene IV.

My neuro physio did recommend I try and learn to play an instrument of some sort.

So I think this is just what the neurophysio ordered, to hopefully lesson my gammy hands FND symptoms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXHw1jOjSKc

Now I'm looking at fancy Yamaha E473 61 Key synths on music gear retailers....  Perhaps a nice post redundancy treat for myself?

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Rather interesting series of tweets coming out from Mr E Idle about his Python colleague, the increasingly unpleasant twll tin Mr J Cleese, and the proposed stage version of 'Brian'

Mr C appears to be a splittist as well as a knob.
https://twitter.com/StephAcalvert/status/1659793138200739840
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i