Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289255 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We are just beginning a process in which I hope to remove from this house several Teetering Piles of Crap.

Is there any value at all in cassette tapes from yesteryear? I have a carton full of them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I think some charity shops might take them, but ask first cos most probably won't.

If you want them to have value, you'll need to hang on to them for a few more decades at least.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
No, I suspect most of this stuff is for landfill. I have several photo albums of Phyllis's. She mostly took photos of her foreign holidays with her sister Glenys. Both dead - no-one from that generation left alive. I think they will ultimately be for the tip.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
You could unspool a couple and chuck them in a hedgerow for old time's sake...

Cudzoziemiec

Unspool them and use them as streamers or ribbons for the next significant birthday, weeding, art installation, granchild, etc. Or just give them straight to the grandchildren (in small doses) as a toy. A toddler could have great fun with an opened-up tape!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Unspool them and use them as streamers or ribbons for the next significant birthday, weeding, art installation, granchild, etc. Or just give them straight to the grandchildren (in small doses) as a toy. A toddler could have great fun with an opened-up tape!

Our grandchildren are both in double figures. Indeed, Martha, the older, will be 13 later this month.

Talking of weeding, the onions and parsnips need some attention. I know some people hang CDs up to try to scare birds away. Would old cassette tapes be equally ineffective? Might they work with cats?

Cudzoziemiec

Talking of weeding, the onions and parsnips need some attention. I know some people hang CDs up to try to scare birds away. Would old cassette tapes be equally ineffective? Might they work with cats?
I suppose it might do, on the random movement principle. More on birds than cats I'd imagine. Only one way to find out for sure.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I'm sure we have an iffy lyrics thread somewhere, but Heaven 17's "Come Live With Me" hasn't dated well in that respect.  It's a good song if you ignore the, er, cradle snatching.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

No, I suspect most of this stuff is for landfill. I have several photo albums of Phyllis's. She mostly took photos of her foreign holidays with her sister Glenys. Both dead - no-one from that generation left alive. I think they will ultimately be for the tip.

My extended family have been digging out old photos and putting them on a private fb group.

We have family photos back to the 1800s, some on tinplate.

It is fascinating trying to work out bits of family history.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

My neighbours from upstairs have today, left for a long weekend at Glastonbury.
Methinks that they will be hot.
Very hot.

https://www.livpost.co.uk/p/two-russian-sailors-walk-into-a-bar   A nice  little article about the filming of 1985's "Letter to Brezhnev" .
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
https://www.livpost.co.uk/p/two-russian-sailors-walk-into-a-bar   A nice  little article about the filming of 1985's "Letter to Brezhnev" .

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ta for that andrewc

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jul/01/pj-harvey-interview-i-inside-the-old-year-dying

An interview with PJ Harvey.    I saw her at the Manchester Academy in 1995, the ticket was probably a tenner.   She's now at the Manchester Albert Hall and tickets start at £121   :jurek:   https://www.manchestertheatres.com/event/pj-harvey
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
An interview with PJ Harvey.    I saw her at the Manchester Academy in 1995, the ticket was probably a tenner.   She's now at the Manchester Albert Hall and tickets start at £121   :jurek:   https://www.manchestertheatres.com/event/pj-harvey

I saw her at Glastonbury in 1992, which cost £50 iirc. Never managed to see her on her own, much to my regret.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Beardy

• Shedist
What is is it about cascades of sparks that all film directors think that they add something to a disaster scene or a fight scene or just a basic crash scene. They never look like anything other than a stage pyrotechnic. It’s daft.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
What is is it about cascades of sparks that all film directors think that they add something to a disaster scene or a fight scene or just a basic crash scene. They never look like anything other than a stage pyrotechnic. It’s daft.

See also cars that drive off cliffs and immediately burst into a fireball of flame before falling n-1 feet 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
Lights turning on or off are accompanied by 'CLUNK'

Basil

• Help me!
Bicycles entering scene accompanied by 'Tring tring' when there is obviously no bell on the bike.

Basil

• Help me!
Cat in view?
'Yowl!'

Basil

• Help me!
I could go on.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Computers going biddly beep beep.

Basil

• Help me!
Huge great screen graphic of rocket/bomber/alien going somewhere.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
AI-generated trailer for a Heidi movie...

https://youtu.be/0A2-Af5JEWU

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Know any way to block those wretched "cards" that cover up the ends of YT videos nowadays?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight