Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289659 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
I don't know what goes through the minds of T.V. schedulers, but showing , "The World at War" (yet) again through Xmas seems a little "off" to me.  There's more than enough contemporary misery to be going on with, without rehashing historic pain.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

It's become a catch phrase in our house - "It was the Nazis". From watching too many episodes of things like Abandoned Engineering, where they show you some big concrete structure and ask the question "What could this have been for?" - the answer to which almost always involves the Nazis or defence against the Nazis. So now, whenever some big bit of engineering is shown on just about programme regardless of genre, someone will pipe up "It was the Nazis".

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I've just had a minor disagreement on Twitter about wildlife accuracy in a recent Agatha Christie adaptation. With Philip Pullman (yes, that one).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Well done to the BBC last night. Flipped over to watch the fireworks, and as soon as it was over got Rickrolled.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Well done to the BBC last night. Flipped over to watch the fireworks, and as soon as it was over got Rickrolled.
;D
The BBC ain't going down without a fight  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Arguably, this belongs in POBI but as it is real radio, I was fortunate to hear Women's Hour yesterday, covering women's role in negotiations, I recommend it especially the piece about a back channel negotiation convener, how DO you get opposite sides talking?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ts51

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I have found When The Boat Comes In on some catch up service or other.

This is a good idea thing. Bonny Lad.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I've just learned that a colleague is on the new series of Traitors, which starts tonight. I really can't imagine why anyone would want to subject themselves to that but good luck to her. I can see her being good on it. I wasn't planning to watch it but now I think I might.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

To be followed by the Beiderbecke trilogy perchance, on ITVx.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

If you're doing the Bolam timeline properly, you need to do Only When I Laugh before moving on to Beiderbecke.

If you're doing the Bolam timeline properly, you need to do Only When I Laugh before moving on to Beiderbecke.

I have to confess I was thinking more of Barbara Flynn....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

I have to confess I was thinking more of Barbara Flynn....

Understandable.

citoyen

I've just learned that a colleague is on the new series of Traitors, which starts tonight. I really can't imagine why anyone would want to subject themselves to that but good luck to her. I can see her being good on it. I wasn't planning to watch it but now I think I might.

Turns out m'colleague is one of the traitors and she's very good at it.

I had a look back at what I said about the first series when it came up for discussion - I was pretty scathing, not entirely surprisingly. But I found it rather enjoyable last night - though I'm sure that's only because of m'colleague being in it.

I've always assumed that these type of programmes are deliberately edited to make the contestants look as bad as possible but m'colleague came across on last night's episode exactly as she is. So maybe the people who look awful really are that awful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I saw an album I would quite like in a picture on Facebook posted by a local vinyl store. I PM'd them to express an interest in purchasing said item. Nae bother, we'll keep it for you, it costs £150. Jings!  :o :hand: No thanks.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Watching Richard Osman's House of Games just now. In answer to the question "In miles per hour, what is the record for the fastest speed at which humans have traveled, set by the crew of Apollo 10 during re-entry?".

One contestant said 300mph. Another said 700mph. Baffling.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Richard Osman's House of Games

*googles*

Quote from: Wikipedia
The show is played on a weekly basis, with four celebrities playing on five consecutive days to win daily prizes...

Not so baffling...

citoyen

Afasoas

I received a second hand copy of Tears For Fears – Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92) on CD for a recent birthday.

Looks to be in very good condition aside from what looks to be a fairly inconsequential scratch on the outside edge of the CD laminate. I've ripped all the tracks, aside from track 12.
I don't suppose anyone has this already ripped as a FLAC file?

Beardy

• Shedist
Well, this is very bit as daft and just as camp as I remember and I don’t think I’ll be making much effort to watch it again any time soon. The children loved it when it was last on, but pop and crisps were as much part of the weekly treat I think. 

It’s Gladiators I’m talking about.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I was a bit old for it, but I remember my younger brother replacing his Wolf poster with a Jet poster, as a precursor to discovering Lynx and Pamela Anderson.

citoyen

I saw about five minutes of it. That was enough for me.

Back in 1992 it was part of the Saturday evening ritual in my student house before we went out. The world and I have both changed a lot since then.

Back in 1992 it was part of the Saturday evening ritual in my student house before we went out. The world and I have both changed a lot since then.

The trouble is, if TV is so bereft of ideas it thought exhuming Gladiators was a good idea, what odds do we give on someone, somewhere (probably deep in a coke or ether binge), suggesting bringing The Word back?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

The trouble is, if TV is so bereft of ideas it thought exhuming Gladiators was a good idea, what odds do we give on someone, somewhere (probably deep in a coke or ether binge), suggesting bringing The Word back?

Or Jim'll Fix It.