Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 289318 times)

I saw about five minutes of it. That was enough for me.

Back in 1992 it was part of the Saturday evening ritual in my student house before we went out. The world and I have both changed a lot since then.

The trouble is, if TV is so bereft of ideas it thought exhuming Gladiators was a good idea, what odds do we give on someone, somewhere (probably deep in a coke or ether binge), suggesting bringing The Word back?

Or Jim'll Fix It.

I suspect that the "resurrecting Jim'll Fix It seems reasonable" dose for most drugs is so close to the median lethal dose that it's a self-solving problem.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
There is an artist in Bristol who goes by the name Jim'll Paint It, which seems dangerous, but he's still around.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/jimll-paint-it-needs-suggestions-bristol-themed-illustration/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Cor, I though he gave up around the time Twitter stopped being fun.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Seldom have I have been so pissed off with the deteroration of a TV show (I didn't watch most of GoT).

Killing Eve seasons 1 & 2 were funny, dramatic and interesting.

Season 3 was a bit odd.

Season 4 (last) was utter shite.

Let me count the ways . . .

(click to show/hide)

If you were a fan of KE, don't bother with season 4. Just remember it how it was.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Garnet Mimms, singer of the all-time classic Cry Baby, is still alive :)

Isn’t Garnet Mimms a service station on the M1?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Soul Singer or Service Station would be a great round in a pub quiz ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded

That late, great maestro, Charnock Richard.
It is simpler than it looks.

That late, great maestro, Charnock Richard.

<Vivian Stanshall>

... on the bongos...

And here's Gordano on the alto saxophone...

Followed by Leigh Delamere on bass guitar...

<Vivian Stanshall>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

With special guest Hilton Park on marimba.

And here's Taunton Deane on the kazoo.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Frankley goes to Hollywood.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Mrs n had a friend called Richard Charnock.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Charnock Richard was a rejected song title for a Faces song.

The above may contain traces of LIE...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I don’t want to know about Norton Canes…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I don’t want to know about Norton Canes…

Viv Stanshall: On the theremin...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
I am bine watching on catch up the Canal+ co production of War of the Worlds. It obviously has nothing to do with the original, But...
1. The acting is superb
2. The 'emotional hits' are heart rending
3. The French is a challenge, due to strong accents, but I can cope
4. I am doing my normal US horror film reaction: "Why are you being so STUPID?"
(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Watching Dirk Gently for the nth time (being enflued it doesn't matter if we fall asleep 'cos we already know it, but it's fun to watch) we both noticed last night that although Bart doesn't mind walking around with rats'-nest hair and a blood-caked shirt she still shaves her armpits.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I have uncovered a trove of my old albums, wot I prolly need to sell now. Only, I'm going through them. This is not a good idea, but it is kinda fun and proof if I needed it that I have always had somewhat esoteric taste (if with a slightly unhealthy tendency to prog rock)

Anyways up, a load of my old stuff doesn't seem to have made it into spotiface (my current choice for digital), which is a bit of a shame. Tracking down digital versions will keep me out of mischief. Some, like Longdancer, I am a little surprised about, not only are they bloody good (Trailer For a Good Life) but this was Dave Stewart's first outing, you would have thought that would have generated interest. Another of my slightly esoteric albums is Lost At Sea, by Glen Philips from 1975, which has possibly the best track dedication of all time:

Track #1 is "I've got a bullet with your name on it" - "is for all the cowboys who have actually caused me to say "whoa boy" to my bicycle"

I think it's quite good, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUJG4xaRRM4

ETA with the glory of t'Internets, I find out the back story

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Ah, Longdancer.

I thought I remembered the name.

Saw them in the early 1970's

It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I have uncovered a trove of my old albums, wot I prolly need to sell now.

Well, they are sold, at an average of £2/album. Apparently there are some others who think stuff like Amon Duul is worth buying, who knew? (the value for about 100+ was in about half a dozen oddities)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Hurrah: joke comedy pirate metal bozos Alestorm are playing the Forum in Kentish Town a week today :thumbsup:

Bah: Forty-two quid >:( I know they’re into stealing treasure but srsly?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

Hurrah: joke comedy pirate metal bozos Alestorm are playing the Forum in Kentish Town a week today :thumbsup:

Bah: Forty-two quid >:( I know they’re into stealing treasure but srsly?

The other day, I bought tickets to see David Sedaris - £50 each, and that's just some bloke telling stories. He doesn't even sing or play guitar. I balked at paying that much to see Kate Bush a few years ago but times have changed and it doesn't seem so outlandish now.

That said, I still very rarely pay more than £15-£20 for a gig ticket - but that's because I mostly prefer to see up and coming bands in small independent venues and generally avoid the really big names and arena gigs.