Author Topic: Set Route to invisible  (Read 1712 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Set Route to invisible
« on: 25 July, 2009, 09:34:04 am »
Set the route to invisible

How?

Please!

J  ???

I can't find a way of doing it, using Mapsource (versions 6.13 and 6.15) and a Legend HCx (software version 2.60 - not the latest).  I assume it may be possible on the Edge models, and other newer Garmins.

In the newer version of Mapsource you can set a colour for each Route, in the same way as for Tracks.  The colours available include white and 'transparent'.
This information doesn't seem to be picked up by the Legend HCx, after transferring the routes in the usual way - they all display in the default purple.

You can change the general 'Routing colour' on the HCx models - in Setup, Routing - to any one of several colors including white (but not transparent**) - and this will apply to any route in 'Follow Road' but not, AFAICS, in 'Off Road' where it stays in purple.  
In any case on the GPS display the Route sits 'under' any track that is also displayed - so maybe its just a matter of choosing 2 suitably contrasting colours.   In 'Follow Road' it also sits under map features such as roads and road names, which all works pretty well (if you like follow road!).  In Off Road it is a narrower line that obscures map features (but still sits under tracks).

[**edit] You can get the 'invisible' or 'transparent' effect by setting the Route colour to be the same as the map general background colour.  Again this works better in Follow Road than in Off Road, because the route seems to occupy a different 'overlay' depending on which mode its in.  In Follow Road its above the map background (inc forests etc) but below all other features - in Off Road its above some map features but still below any visible Track.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Set Route to invisible
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2009, 05:22:02 pm »
In the newer version of Mapsource you can set a colour for each Route, in the same way as for Tracks.  The colours available include white and 'transparent'.
This information doesn't seem to be picked up by the Legend HCx, after transferring the routes in the usual way - they all display in the default purple.

You can change the general 'Routing colour' on the HCx models - in Setup, Routing - to any one of several colors including white (but not transparent**) - and this will apply to any route in 'Follow Road' but not, AFAICS, in 'Off Road' where it stays in purple.  

I found the same thing (mapsource supports 'invisible' route but my Vista HCX does'nt).

My solution which was to use light green for the track and white for the route which worked really well, as the wider white route had the effect of highlighting the track so that it was easier to see without obscuring other map features, which darker route colours tend to do. This was especially beneficial when running with backlight off during the day at times with iffy ambiant lighting.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2009, 11:17:03 am »
Yes I agree, white works well.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2009, 01:51:50 pm »
My solution which was to use light green for the track and white for the route which worked really well, as the wider white route had the effect of highlighting the track so that it was easier to see without obscuring other map features, which darker route colours tend to do.
That sounds like a good idea - I often find the Track line a little difficult to see (more my ageing eyes really) but it occurs to me that this could perhaps go pear shaped if the Route path varies from the Track. I realise a lot depends on how thoroughly you build the Route but I have found the auto-routing function very unreliable regardless of which settings you select. It will also consume more battery power, which may or may not be a factor.

JJ

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2009, 12:59:46 pm »
Thanks for this.  I ran out of surfing time before LEL, hence my lack of response. 
I never did find a way to set even general routing colour on my Legend Cx.  I guess it's a feature that appeared later.

In the event my routes were useless as for some reason only a couple of points loaded for each, so I reverted to tracks alone.