Author Topic: Cyclotricity e-bike conversion kit  (Read 2446 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Cyclotricity e-bike conversion kit
« on: 09 March, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »
https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/custom/mix-match-your-own-conversion-kit.html

Miss von Brandenburg is contemplating the acquisition of one of these to fit to an old Spesh Stumpjumper that she has inherited.  Any thoughts and/or experience?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: Cyclotricity e-bike conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2019, 03:54:39 pm »
Although I haven't used Cyclotricity, I've done a couple of conversions with similar kits. Front hub drive suits an MTB as it gives all wheel drive that helps off road. If budget isn't a factor, a Bafang mid drive is probably better. There is a bloke darn sarf who builds up top notch batteries using decent cells. Get the largest capacity battery budget will allow. PM if any specific questions. If aesthetics are a factor, bear in mind the cabling rarely adds to the looks of a bike.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2019, 03:56:21 pm »
A throttle control is illegal for on-road use. It needs to be pedal assist.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2019, 04:08:24 pm »
Although I haven't used Cyclotricity, I've done a couple of conversions with similar kits. Front hub drive suits an MTB as it gives all wheel drive that helps off road. If budget isn't a factor, a Bafang mid drive is probably better. There is a bloke darn sarf who builds up top notch batteries using decent cells. Get the largest capacity battery budget will allow. PM if any specific questions. If aesthetics are a factor, bear in mind the cabling rarely adds to the looks of a bike.

Budget is sort-of a factor coz she doesn't want to spend a four-figure sum on something that she then decides she doesn't like.  It's not likely to see any off-road use, it's more because Crystal Palace is on top of a mountain...  And we've just bought some slicks, non-SPD pedals and a non-Brooks saddle for it :D

Such a thing is available.

« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2019, 04:31:33 pm »
I used what was apparently a Cyclotricity kit to motorise my Big Dummy a couple of years ago. I used a front hub motor- except that I have installed it as a "stoke motor" (as per the Stockmonkey kit available from t'other side of the pond, using a special Stokemonkey bracket for the BD that I bought from them).

I had the motor kit from with Electric Bike Conversions- they both install kits and sell them for DIY conversions, see here: http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/acatalog/electric-bike-kits.html The chap who runs it seems knowledgable and you can visit them- they are very accommodating. (I wanted to buy from somewhere I had recourse if things were wrong). The battery packs they do seem at the better quality end of the market. Not sure they source their current kit range from cyclotricity now though, they have fewer options on their website than when I bought a couple of years ago.

There's a range of stuff you can add to a basic kit- sensors that cut the motor at 15mph for example. I have the pedal assist sensor on the Big Dummy, it works fine- assuming you have a square taper BB it fits with no bother.

What is really good to have/install is the "motor-cut" brake levers. When stopping pedalling, the motor will stop but there's a slight delay plus some back pressure, so a flick of the brake lever cuts the motor as you start to freewheel or if you need to change a hub gear.

It is worth getting a reasonable display unit which allows different levels of input on the move. A decent kit makes installation east BUT don't assume the gubbins will all fit easily into the supplied box, you may need some fettling. 

GC

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2019, 05:45:48 pm »

Not quite.  It's illegal for any new bike sold from 1st January 2016 to have a throttle and not require the pedals to be turned, but any e-bike which had a throttle before then remains legal to use.

If you convert a normal bike by adding on a conversion kit, it would be illegal to have a throttle on that, even though the bike might be an old one, as it wouldn't conform to the EAPC requirements for e-bikes.  Although as with most things, how are they going to prove the kit wasn't on there before 1/1/16?

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2019, 01:08:58 pm »
Front hubs on MTB-type bikes don't usually suffer from tyre slip, cos the weight is over the front wheel rather more than more upright bikes. It isn't a major issue often either, but worth bearing in mind.

Go for a frame-mounted battery - if there is room in the triangle (check first!) - as that helps move the weight forward too.
The main recommendation I would make would be to try to get hold of one of these sensors instead of the two-part magnet type  as long as the bike has a square taper BB. Far less fiddly and more stable. Make sure the connector suits your controller's.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2019, 01:54:42 pm »
Well, she's bitten the wossname and ordered the wheel, rack battery and related gubbins (including BB-mounted sensor thing) so there will be a weekend of bike-fettling and queueueueueueueing for the Blackwall Tunnel coming up soon.  Plus changing the bars for ones that don't have each end in a different parliamentary constituency,  swapping the brakes over to Continental-stylee operation and fitting road tyres.

« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2019, 02:14:18 pm »
If it's anything like the Panda kit I bought there won't be a 25Km/h limit programmed. I never bothered...