Author Topic: Luxeon 3W LED Torches in Tesco  (Read 21383 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Luxeon 3W LED Torches in Tesco
« on: 12 June, 2008, 12:51:00 am »
I noticed today that my local Tesco (Musselburgh) has got the Luxeon 3W LED Torches in for father's day.  IIRC there was a bit of excitment the last time these were available due to the £12 price tag, brightness and the fact that you also go batteries and a keyring torch too.  People were talking about using them as bike lights.

Did anyone buy one of these the last time around and if so what are your experiences of it?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Luxeon 3W LED Torches in Tesco
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2008, 06:36:12 am »
I noticed today that my local Tesco (Musselburgh) has got the Luxeon 3W LED Torches in for father's day.  IIRC there was a bit of excitment the last time these were available due to the £12 price tag, brightness and the fact that you also go batteries and a keyring torch too.  People were talking about using them as bike lights.

Did anyone buy one of these the last time around and if so what are your experiences of it?
There was certainly a thread in the Other Place around Christmas, if you have an account to search with.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Actually, it is rocket science.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:07:45 am »
I bought one.  Combined with some zip-ties and a pump bracket it functions rather well on my helmet.  Great for getting oncoming cars to realise there is a bike ahead of them and they should dip their lights.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:40:37 am »
Went caving at the weekend; one of our members' daughter had one zip-tied to her helmet and it out-performed all of our expensive Oldham and  Speleo Technics Li-Ion jobs  :-[

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:51:55 am »
That's just tech progress for you.  The Luxeon 3W LED is a kick-arse bit of kit.

They are excellent and excellent value.  Grab one.

You can bodge a mount with one of those rubber wristbands.  Mine has become my EDC torch.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:58:28 am »
Can anyone link to a picture of one so I know what I'm looking for if I'm in Tesco?

Oh.  That means I have to go into Tesco, doesn't it?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2008, 09:33:29 am »
The link to the second acf thread that I posted has a picture from Wobbly John of the kit he got from Tesco's, still in it's box.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:17:29 am »
...and it was in use on last nights ride  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:56:37 am »
Is this the one?

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx

It's described as a 3W Cree LED torch.
a great mind thinks alike

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:00:49 pm »
I'm not sure - the one WJ's got takes 2xAA batteries, that takes 2xD.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:04:04 pm »
I don't use mine on the bike but as a replacement for a mini maglite. Excellent torches.

Get one. Or even, get two.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:23:09 pm »
I'm not sure - the one WJ's got takes 2xAA batteries, that takes 2xD.

Oh yeah. On Saturday I bought a 3W Cree torch which takes 2xAA for about a tenner. I presumed this was the same.
a great mind thinks alike

rr

« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:12:55 pm »
There are 2 3W 2AA torches in Tesco, one on its own described as having a 3W cree Led for £10 and another described as a 3W Luxon in a case with a single AAA key ring torch for £12.

I seem to recall that the Cree is better so I have bought one to replace my Cateye 135 that disappeared with its cheese bracket at the weekend

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:24:26 pm »
I bought the Luxeon set last night, the key ring one to replace an ageing mini-mag that the battery had leaked in and seized the end cap on, the bigger one to keep on my bike as an emergency back up light (I use a Cateye single shot as my primary)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

simonali

« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:09:25 pm »
Cree LEDs are brighter than the Luxeon type, I believe. Might order one of those 2D ones for my work kit. If it is 2D then the battery life should be really good!

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »
I just got the 2xAA one today, it's a 3 watt Cree and £10.  There's also larger version at £12, also with the 3 watt Cree, takes 2xC batteries, you also get a pouch.

It is bright! Certainly much brighter than any of the lights I've used before, but they've only been the "for being seen" type. It actually lights up the road with a patch of white light. And of course more robust than any plasticky Cateye light.

« Reply #17 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:36:04 pm »
The 3W Luxeon with the keyring light is now on offer at £6

« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:27:52 pm »
Bargain. I saw them last week at £12 and they were the same as the ones we got before Christmas at £7.50. I expect they had them in as Fathers' day gifts and have now reduced them.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #19 on: 18 June, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »
I was just in my local tesco and couldn't resist the £6 price tag.  My first impression is that it's not as bright as my fenix L2D but it is pretty damn bright and you could buy 7 of them for the same price as the fenix.  I might actually keep it to use as a torch because it's a pretty good torch.

cometworm

« Reply #20 on: 18 June, 2008, 10:29:19 pm »
I looked for this at our local(ish) Tesco but only found the rubberized "impact" torch. Will head to the scary-big-tesco-in-scary-south-london tomorrow to look for the right one, so I have it as a backup for the FNRttC.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #21 on: 20 June, 2008, 03:54:39 pm »
It's a brilliant little torch, mine lives in my rucksack as an emergency light/torch, it pisses all over the Cateye EL530.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

bobajobrob

« Reply #22 on: 20 June, 2008, 04:22:02 pm »
Which aisle should one be looking in for these torches? Are they with the general hardware or will they be with the gadgets?

BTW, the BOGOF offer on malt loaf is still on at my local :thumbsup: *eyes up malt loaf sitting on desk*

« Reply #23 on: 20 June, 2008, 06:01:36 pm »
I've never seen the Luxeon torches in the local Tesco, only the 2xAA and 2xC 3W Cree ones. I've just bought another one (2xAA 3W Cree). In my local Tesco, they're placed with household electrical bits like light bulbs etc, in the aisle in between clothing and fruit & veg.

bobajobrob

« Reply #24 on: 20 June, 2008, 06:24:08 pm »
I could only find the 2xAA ones.

I bought an LED headtorch from Tesco for £8. It looks quite similar to a Petzl, a little bulkier and with 3 tiny red LEDs. It takes 3xAAA batteries and has three modes - 2 LEDs on, 4 LEDs on and 3 red LEDs on. Ouput is *very* similar to my Petzl in low/high modes, only with a slightly more blueish hue. It's just missing a medium and flashing modes that I don't really use anyway. Seems like a good buy for less than 1/3 of the price of a Petzl, assuming the battery life is good :thumbsup: