Author Topic: Luxeon 3W LED Torches in Tesco  (Read 21380 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Luxeon 3W LED Torches in Tesco
« Reply #50 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:48:29 pm »
Off topic but....

I've just ordered me one of these...

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

« Reply #51 on: 21 July, 2008, 01:04:25 pm »
Just to report back - Nutkin did indeed get me one, and it changed hands at Norfolk.

I used it on the FNRttC, switching it on in the really dark bits, and it was a great supplement to my front light, which is really only much good for lit rides. Really made a difference.

As I am useless with O-rings and bodging stuff etc I bought one of the velcro-y bracket things linked above, which is good but I don't think I tightened it enough, about 50 miles into the ride the torch made a bid for freedom and hit the road. It still works though, apart from a slightly chipped outer.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #52 on: 21 July, 2008, 01:05:40 pm »
Are you chaps using the AA ones or the c/d ones?

« Reply #53 on: 21 July, 2008, 01:39:58 pm »
I use the AA ones. But I think they only give you 2 - 3 hours light.

The adapted one runing on dynamo did a great job on the Dun Run, but the shadows from having it poking above the bar bag made it feel as if my cheeks had swollen up and were obstructing my view.

I had a second battery one as backup (used it on a couple of downhills) and that was held on with a rubber 'charidee wristband' (with a couple of inches of old inner tube to protect the bars from the knurlled bit of the torch).
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #54 on: 21 July, 2008, 05:10:55 pm »
I got the AA torch because it's a quite a bit lighter than the C version, and I've already got loads of AA rechargables and 2 chargers. I suppose the advantage of the C one is the slightly bigger lens and maybe a longer running time.

I just use a few thick ordinary elastic bands to hold it on to the bars.

Zoidburg

« Reply #55 on: 01 February, 2009, 05:25:55 pm »

cc93

« Reply #56 on: 01 February, 2009, 05:38:07 pm »
Interesting - but I distrust separate power supplies and cables after the Dinotte experience

DealExtreme: $18.99 UltraFire WF-502B Cree R2-WC 5-Mode Memory 250-Lumen LED Flashlight with Clip (1*18650/2*CR123A)

Add 18650 batteries (much better than AA's) & a bike mount

I have 3 and they are great.

UltraFire WF-502B Cree R2-WC LED Torch

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #57 on: 09 February, 2009, 04:39:14 pm »
The larger Tesco Cree torch (C cell) is discontinued although you may be lucky and still get them.

I have bought the smaller AA one and will test it out this Wednesday night (weather permitting).

H

« Reply #58 on: 09 February, 2009, 07:48:15 pm »
The larger Tesco Cree torch (C cell) is discontinued although you may be lucky and still get them.

I have bought the smaller AA one and will test it out this Wednesday night (weather permitting).

H

I prefer the AA ones. A broader beam.
The batteries won't last for very long (about 1-2 hours with alkaline), unless you have lithiums. Or you could wire two up to a dynamo.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #59 on: 09 February, 2009, 10:16:01 pm »

H

I prefer the AA ones. A broader beam.
The batteries won't last for very long (about 1-2 hours with alkaline), unless you have lithiums. Or you could wire two up to a dynamo.

I'd disagree, having got both types.  The C cell ones give a much wider & brighter beam.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #60 on: 11 February, 2009, 09:36:19 am »
Bah!

My 8 quid AA torch fell off during my commute this morning.  I think the chances of finding it again ( a black object that is 6" long) on the country lane in the dark tonight are low.

Chris N

« Reply #61 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:08:22 pm »
My Tesco torch is still going strong - not as good as my newer Fenix LD20, but ok.  Unfortunately the barrel is a little smaller than the Fenix and my Uniross 2700mAh rechargeables wouldn't fit.

Half an hour mucking about with an adjustable reamer to open it up to Ø14.8mm soon fixed that.  All set for some MTB night rides now. :thumbsup:

« Reply #62 on: 20 January, 2011, 01:06:13 pm »
My C cell one is working well. I put an O-ring behind the batteries to stop them bouncing and it's been 100% reliable since. I mount it with a Fenix torch mount. I used this on last year's Mersey Roads and the batteries lasted all night and for several rides after that.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #63 on: 20 January, 2011, 01:55:28 pm »
My Tesco ones are working well although the Aldi ones I got a short while ago are even better. They even have a flashing mode.
The C cell Tesco one had to have a washer put in the barrel to make a better contact, that was one fettle which has worked really well.

« Reply #64 on: 02 June, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »
An update on the Tesco Luxeon torch thread.

The original one of these that I bought (back in 2007?) and turned into a mini version running on the dymano failed at the end of last year. As I mainly use the fixie over winter (running a pair of Tesco Cree torches on the dymano), I've only just got round to repairing the Luxion one.

I had added a box to the circuit that contained the bridge rectifier and a dpdt switch to swap the power to a charger for my phone.

I found a 'leg' had broken off the rectifier, and decided to start from scratch with a better box, a new rectifier and a single pole switch to turn the light off.  :smug:

The light still wouldn't work, so I took it apart and found it had got damp. The spring had rusted and the contact on the back of the LED was disintergrating and fell off in my hand.  :o

I peeled the circuit board with the battery contacts off the backof the LED and found that it had a 'buck puck' circuit on it. Being unable to get a solder connection on the board, I decided to run wires straight onto the LED, and guess what...

...it works!  :D

And I can run the light and power my phone as a GPS at the same time.  :thumbsup:

I've only tried it on a short (6 mile) ride into the wind - It might blow the LED hen I get to a downhill.  :facepalm:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #65 on: 02 June, 2013, 11:34:37 pm »
For a different project I have bought a bag of 3W LEDs. Running them without a load resistor is interesting. "Do not look at with remaining eye".
A 1.5 ohm resistor provides some minimal attenuation (with a 4.8V supply).
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #66 on: 02 June, 2013, 11:43:19 pm »
I just did a search of all the 'Tesco torch threads' and found Peterc has found the same thing as I've just written about.  :facepalm: