Author Topic: Unexpected folding on a Dahon  (Read 2371 times)

Unexpected folding on a Dahon
« on: 26 January, 2018, 10:03:54 pm »
I've had a number of incidents of the handlepost on my Vitesse folding unexpectedly (at the bottom joint). I know I can adjust the tension with the hexagonal bar in the joint, but is this likely to be a sign of wear? Will replacing the joint kit help?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Unexpected folding on a Dahon
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2018, 11:17:48 pm »
Had that myself onceā€¦rather unnerving when your handlebar's being held up by the safety catch! Tighten the handle post up (take care not to over-tighten!) and that should sort it out. If it keeps happening, then I'd think about replacing parts (if you can get hold of them...).

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2018, 08:18:54 am »
It does keep happening. I thought it was me, forgetting to put the lock in place. However, yesterday I checked that I had locked it, and it still happened.

I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with the parts I have, which is why I raised this. The only thing is that the hexagonal screw bar moves very freely.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »
It does keep happening. I thought it was me, forgetting to put the lock in place. However, yesterday I checked that I had locked it, and it still happened.

I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with the parts I have, which is why I raised this. The only thing is that the hexagonal screw bar moves very freely.

That hexagonal bar is the bit you need to tighten (well, the nut on it)! The latch should be firm, but not too stiff, to close.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:54:18 am »
Think you might have your explanation. #justsayin
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.