Author Topic: Getting new Android on old phone  (Read 3121 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Getting new Android on old phone
« on: 17 July, 2019, 09:40:15 am »
A useful app on my phone has stopped running. I've been told this is because my phone's running Android 4.2.2, which is apparently seven years old and no longer supported. The phone itself is about five years old. I don't want to get a new phone for several reasons (this one still works fine otherwise, a new phone would inevitably be bigger – more pocket space!, expense, and if this one lasts till next summer – which I've no reason to think it won't – I might be able to get a free phone). So apparently I can upgrade the Android version to a newer version. But how on earth would I go about doing this? I have no idea whatsoever...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Getting new Android on old phone
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2019, 09:58:13 am »
Pretty much every Android phone ever has been upgradeable to OS versions past those supported by the manufacturer (and certain phones never got official updates).
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ is probably going to be a good place to start. Lots of downloads, instructions, etc, for lots of phones.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2019, 10:42:55 am »
There is a "system update" button but it always tells me there no updates found.

madamemugwump

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2019, 11:18:41 am »
The XDA site/forum is the place to start your investigations... but it's a bit techie. Putting a new OS (or version of) on your phone is not always straightforward and you do risk knackering your phone entirely. I've upgraded a few phones/tablets now (because, well, just because and I'm a bit geeky like that!) but I've had a few close calls where I've thought I've buggered the device.

On top of that, sticking a newer version on the phone may not be the answer. Even IF there is a later version available AND it works, it could well grind your phone a halt, making it practically unusable. There are hardware limitations as to what version OS a device can happily, responsively run.

In short, if you're otherwise happy with the phone then I'd seriously consider living without that one app. OR - you might be able to downgrade that app and 'freeze' it - stop it being automatically updated. That's not always possible, it depends on the app. 

It's of no help I know but I'm in the same boat as you with an old tablet I have - an LG Pad 7, it's running version 4 like your phone is. There are no manufacturer supplied updates available for it, it long since having been ceased. Looking at XDA, I can find no upgrade candidate for it, not that looks 'safe' at any rate. I also have a Sonos sound system and the latest Sonos android app will not run on android 7 - and because of the Sonos side software changes, the version 7 compatible Sonos app wouldn't work with the system anway. I've simply had to live without that app on that tablet. Damned annoying but sometimes you do have to accept the end of the road (for all practical purposes anyway)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2019, 01:09:23 pm »
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ is probably going to be a good place to start. Lots of downloads, instructions, etc, for lots of phones.

Hefty disclaimer:  Mobile phone forums are inhabited by the sort of people who hang around on mobile phone forums.  For every genuine Android expert, there are dozens of script kiddies - whose primary interest is in customising their launcher with the latest bling - offering semi-literate cargo-cult solutions to NP-hard-to-diagnose problems.

I know a bit about fettling operating systems, and I find the whole thing soul-destroyingly tedious.  The only thing worse is having to buy a new phone...

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:00:55 pm »
Could you get one of the techies at the local store of your network provider to help?

A

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:08:29 pm »
The rule of thumb with most Android devices is the version they leave the factory with is very likely to be the one they die with, give or take some minor patches.

On the other side of the fence Apple normally support devices for 3-5 releases after they're discontinued. The flipside of this is that app developers have essentially no incentive to support old OS versions, since almost all devices in use are upgradable to the current OS, so you don't necessarily get a longer useful lifespan.

(Apple do have a feature where if a new app version drops support for an old OS, they'll let the user download the last version that did. I don't know if this exists on Android)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:13:26 pm »
Could you get one of the techies at the local store of your network provider to help?

A
Possibly, I just thought it would be easier to ask the techies on here rather than fend off suggestions to buy a new phone!

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »
What phone do you have?

I have had success with Team Win Recovery project

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.twrp.twrpapp

and

Lineage OS

https://www.lineageos.org/

on a Samsung S4 Mini

I am on Android Oreo (version 8.0) now.

The basics are

Install above app (or equivalent)
Through the app download and install / flash the appropriate version of it for your phones architecture
Connect phone to PC and place two zip files on phone, one is new Android OS, the second is Google apps.
Boot to recovery which will boot to the above app you installed / flashed.
Select install, and browse your phones SD card or internal memory folders for the two zip files you placed on it. Select the zip files.
Flash those files to your phone, to install new OS and version appropriate Google apps
Reboot
Complete setup
Go to the Google play store and check for updates, and install them.

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2019, 02:33:19 pm »
If you want to build a version of lineageOS from the source code; here are the instructions.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/serranoltexx/build

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2019, 03:05:41 pm »
If you want to build a version of lineageOS from the source code; here are the instructions.

I'd be more likely to build a full scale reproduction of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon than anything in code.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2019, 03:38:06 pm »
It's unlikely that you can go from 4.2.2 to a modern version without a lot of messing about
It's probably impossible without rooting the phone and installing unofficial stuff
Cheaper and easier to just get a new phone.  Or go without your "useful" app

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:00:21 pm »

I'd be more likely to build a full scale reproduction of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon than anything in code.

Then you are stuck with what you have on your existing phone.  As above you can't upgrade without having the ability to tackle the hanging gardens

« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:01:13 pm »
I have the impression that pretty much the only way a phone's OS can be upgraded, without 'rooting n' stuff' was if the manufacturer offered an upgrade to the next version.  Motorola brought out an upgrade from Android 7 to 8.1 last year on my 2017 phone, which took about 10 mins; no problems.  Moto says of my phone  "moto g5: This device will remain on Android™ 8.1 Oreo™."
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:12:43 pm »
If you use banking or similar apps some don't like the lineage version of android.

Being an older phone, can it run a version of android go, low spec android.

« Reply #15 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:13:42 pm »
Is the problem that the app has updated to a version that is not compatible with the older operating system? If so,you may be able to roll it back to an older version of the app.
My android phone is now used as an offline sat nav, so i’m a bit out of touch. It may only be the preinstalled apps you can do this with. I know I used to in order to get a bit of memory space back.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

madamemugwump

« Reply #16 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:30:18 pm »

And it'd be much more rewarding.
Besides, you need a fair bit of disk space and processing umph to compile from source. And patience.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #17 on: 17 July, 2019, 04:53:05 pm »
Is the problem that the app has updated to a version that is not compatible with the older operating system? If so,you may be able to roll it back to an older version of the app.
My android phone is now used as an offline sat nav, so i’m a bit out of touch. It may only be the preinstalled apps you can do this with. I know I used to in order to get a bit of memory space back.
If you can find an APK file for the older version of the app, you can try installing that. Look on APKMirror. https://www.apkmirror.com/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 17 July, 2019, 05:53:10 pm »
I may have been able to do that – if I hadn't deleted the app. I tried re-installing it after it stopped working and when then didn't work, I deleted it completely. Should I award myself a  :facepalm: ?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #19 on: 17 July, 2019, 06:01:46 pm »
What make/model of phone, and what app is it?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 17 July, 2019, 06:04:59 pm »
It's a Huawei, I'll have to look up the model in a minute. The app was the national rail enquiries app, didn't use it hugely often but handy to find whether it's worth getting a train from somewhere or somewhere else – much more useful out in the wilds than at home.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 17 July, 2019, 06:06:19 pm »
Y330 "Ascend"

« Reply #22 on: 17 July, 2019, 08:33:05 pm »
There are loads of other, better apps that will do that - any of the train company branded apps will work nationwide, plus the data is open so there are lots of third party apps too.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #23 on: 17 July, 2019, 08:46:32 pm »
You could try an older version of the National Rail app from here. https://apkpure.com/national-rail-enquiries/uk.co.nationalrail.google/versions

Or plenty of alternative apps which may be more useful. Or just use a website. Real Time Trains is often better for checking where trains actually are. http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/