Author Topic: Training with a head unit  (Read 2077 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Training with a head unit
« on: 07 July, 2018, 10:22:24 pm »

I have a Wahoo Elmnt bolt, which apparently has a function for loading in planned workouts. My poking around suggests that this is dependant on yet another website, with yet another subscription model. Is there a way to use my Bolt to help with things like intervals, that doesn't require some 3rd party website ?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Training with a head unit
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2018, 05:25:17 pm »
Golden Cheetah

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2018, 01:22:46 am »
Golden Cheetah

Unless I am entirely misunderstanding, that is a tool to analyse the data post ride, not a mechanism to load in say a 30 min interval training session?

J
--

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2018, 05:40:23 am »
It has a training module too for intervals on a turbo. If you want to do intervals on the road just a stopwatch is all you need. On Sunday I did 3x5' lactate tolerance intervals, just used a nice loop of roads, hammered it for a 2 mile stretch then rested for the ~20" it took to get back to the start and repeated three times. A heart rate monitor allows you to track your efforts but is not required.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:29:35 am »
It has a training module too for intervals on a turbo. If you want to do intervals on the road just a stopwatch is all you need. On Sunday I did 3x5' lactate tolerance intervals, just used a nice loop of roads, hammered it for a 2 mile stretch then rested for the ~20" it took to get back to the start and repeated three times. A heart rate monitor allows you to track your efforts but is not required.

How does one start/stop the stop watch when doing an all out 120% effort for 40 seconds?

J
--

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:55:45 am »
You set the screen on your device to show minutes and seconds only, and thrash it when the display says ##.00 for 40 seconds.

I know dutch roads are straight and flat, but I'd still say the turbo is a better place for short intervals. Once you start doing 2 x 20' roads might be more appropriate.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:06:02 am »
I use an app on my iPhone called IntervalTimer. It allows you to create your own custom seessions either simple: 5 min warmup, 10x1min with 1min rest, 10 minute cool down or more complex: 5 min warmup, 10x1min with 1min rest, 5x2 min with 1 min rest , 10 minute cool down etc..

I use on the turbo with headphones - it has audible alerts and you can set different sounds for start, finish etc. so you could probably hear it from a jersey pocket.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2018, 12:10:49 pm »
I use an app on my iPhone called IntervalTimer. It allows you to create your own custom seessions either simple: 5 min warmup, 10x1min with 1min rest, 10 minute cool down or more complex: 5 min warmup, 10x1min with 1min rest, 5x2 min with 1 min rest , 10 minute cool down etc..

I use on the turbo with headphones - it has audible alerts and you can set different sounds for start, finish etc. so you could probably hear it from a jersey pocket.

Cool, shall give that a go. I have headphones on when cycling most of the time anyway, so hearing it won't be an issue.

Thanks!

J
--

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 10 July, 2018, 12:42:39 pm »

Cool, shall give that a go. I have headphones on when cycling most of the time anyway, so hearing it won't be an issue.

Thanks!

J

No problem, let me know if you find an ELMNT based solution. Although I think the app is a better way as the sound alerts on the ELMNT are too quiet!