Author Topic: Everesting  (Read 10615 times)

Re: Everesting
« Reply #25 on: 11 December, 2018, 10:47:35 am »
I really can't think of anything that would come close to being as dull as Everesting, Watching paint drying would be more exciting. Going up and down the same hill climb for 10 or more hours a day? Fuck no ! Get a fucking life.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #26 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:03:20 am »
When I first heard of everesting it only counted if you were first to do it on any particular hill.

« Reply #27 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:06:56 am »
No. As WCTD points out (somewhat colourfully), audaxing and everesting are different things, and only one of them is interesting. I've no problem with getting 9 AAA points on a randonnee, but on a single hill...

Actually I once idly considered everesting my local hill (i.e. the one I live on), but a glance at the rules put me off as you have to go down the same route as you go up. I would much rather have done a loop on the lower part of the hill, as a U-turn at the busy T-junction at the bottom would not be a lot of fun. And I certainly wouldn't bother on a different hill.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #28 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:21:24 am »
It wouldn't be applicable for OCD - there's roolz about how often you can use the same hill or col and how high it needs to be

EDIT - just spotted WATW's post, really should read forwards from "new" not backwards from the last page.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #29 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:46:05 am »
It wouldn't be applicable for OCD - there's roolz about how often you can use the same hill or col and how high it needs to be

My mention of OCD was to show that not everything AUK administers/recognises/promotes/etc is strictly Audax. You can claim OCD cols/passes on rides other than Audaxes.

If AUK has a relationship with OCD (which aren't Audaxes) then AUK could have a relationship with Everesting.

Sure you can't do Everesting under the auspices of an Audax or OCD but what I'm saying is that: Everesting could be to OCD/AUK like OCD is to Audax.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #30 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:52:11 am »
No.

Having said that, I've got a hill marked out for Everesting next to Watlington campsite in The Chilterns that I still haven't looked at yet. I have it mind to try and do a group social Everesting using the campsite as a base for food, drink and sleep. I say sleep because I am thinking of doing 600km of hill reps to do ore than an Everest as a nod to Audax UK, but it definitely won't be an Audax ride. Just an Everest.
Not sure when but it'll probably have to be before May with everything else I want to do next year.

The longest Everesting seems to be 785km (in 43h38m climbing 20016m). (There are a couple longer but they seem impossible numbers, 23214km in 12h50m for example).
The most elevation is 30170m (641km in 100h34m, which seems very slow), someone else has done 29146m in 546km in 47h59m which seems more like it.

(Of course, this is just what the everesting.cc site lists.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:57:03 am »

Doesn't AUK recognise the Mersey roads 24hr TT? Isn't that done on a circuit?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #32 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:59:34 am »
Doesn't AUK recognise the Mersey roads 24hr TT? Isn't that done on a circuit?

That's historical (the 24h TT used to be the only way to qualify for PBP before AUK existed). AUK simply awards points for distance covered in the 24h TT, it doesn't make it an Audax in any way.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 11 December, 2018, 12:17:37 pm »
When I first heard of everesting it only counted if you were first to do it on any particular hill.
Perhaps that should have its own term: Tenzing?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 11 December, 2018, 12:18:48 pm »
Don't - it only makes it worse.

« Reply #35 on: 11 December, 2018, 12:34:46 pm »
If abroad then I reckon Tenerife is a contender.  The El Medano - Teide road is a continuous climb from sea level to 2000m (edge of the crater) at an average of 6.5% (with no ramps over 10%) and can be done in just over 3 hours for the 23 miles - 50 minutes down!  Mostly fantastic road surface and only a couple of junctions.  Very light traffic.

I did it 5 times in a week in November.  4.5 times in a row should be possible  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 11 December, 2018, 02:37:02 pm »

My mention of OCD was to show that not everything AUK administers/recognises/promotes/etc is strictly Audax. You can claim OCD cols/passes on rides other than Audaxes.

If AUK has a relationship with OCD (which aren't Audaxes) then AUK could have a relationship with Everesting.

Sure you can't do Everesting under the auspices of an Audax or OCD but what I'm saying is that: Everesting could be to OCD/AUK like OCD is to Audax.
Well put.

I'd also add that the OCD situation illustrates how AUK could extend it's activities to support many rides that are outside the current points-chasing declare-your-objectives min-distance-between-controls etc straight jacket.

The clubs remit/objective is to promote long-distance cycling* - I'd love to see us encourage people to ride a long way in formats outside the current setup  :thumbsup:

*[that's the short version!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #37 on: 11 December, 2018, 03:51:21 pm »

The clubs remit/objective is to promote long-distance cycling* - I'd love to see us encourage people to ride a long way in formats outside the current setup  :thumbsup:

Rename it then... instead of long distance, use "high mileage" and you can include all sorts of activities... indoor cycling, track cycling, lapping of Richmond Park, commuting to work and even Everesting

Long distance implies going somewhat far... for example: "Oh dear, you've done quite a lot of mileage to cover such a short distance"

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 11 December, 2018, 03:54:24 pm »
Rename it then... instead of long distance, use "high mileage" and you can include all sorts of activities... indoor cycling, track cycling, lapping of Richmond Park, commuting to work and even Everesting

Long distance implies going somewhat far... for example: "Oh dear, you've done quite a lot of mileage to cover such a short distance"

I've done quite a lot of long distance cycling this year, I've cycled zero miles... just 10300km...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ElyDave

« Reply #39 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:20:15 pm »

Well put.

I'd also add that the OCD situation illustrates how AUK could extend it's activities to support many rides that are outside the current points-chasing declare-your-objectives min-distance-between-controls etc straight jacket.

Support or promote?  AUK already supports OCD, I think the point made here and in other contributions to this thread is that it could be far more heartily promoted.

« Reply #40 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:21:38 pm »

That's already catered for with the Mileater Award
http://www.aukweb.net/results/mileater/

« Reply #41 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:25:44 pm »
Going up and down the same hill climb for 10 or more hours a day? Fuck no ! Get a fucking life.
Not my idea of fun either, but then that's most peoples attitude to Audax, including most cyclists though maybe less so recently.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:27:15 pm »

Well put.

Support or promote?  AUK already supports OCD, I think the point made here and in other contributions to this thread is that it could be far more heartily promoted.
"
encourage, promote, develop and control the sport and pastime of non-competitive long distance cycling in all its forms
"
I like "encourage" best :)

("non-competitive" doesn't fit very well with the sport of Tenzing  :-\ So perhaps that stays out. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

whosatthewheel

« Reply #43 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:30:19 pm »
Going up and down the same hill climb for 10 or more hours a day? Fuck no ! Get a fucking life.
Not my idea of fun either, but then that's most peoples attitude to Audax, including most cyclists though maybe less so recently.

At least Audax has a future... in 10 years time half the bikes will be electric... and I believe there is a great future for e-bikes in Audax...  you can see how seriously all those everesting claims will be taken. Already the all Strava segments saga is becoming a joke and Everesting is the same thing in essence...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #44 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:46:17 pm »
You can't do a GPS DIY that is Everesting

I'm sure you could if you actually rode up Everest :)

:)  In theory, yes.  But I suspect that the lack of roads and oxygen might be unwanted complications

« Reply #45 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:50:05 pm »

Everesting already has it's website and list of riders. I think it better for Audax UK to acknowledge, unite with and publicise what already exists and hopefully, they do likewise with AUK, so that we both grow stronger without trying to take over from each other doing the same thing much less efficiently.

« Reply #46 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:54:09 pm »

The longest Everesting seems to be 785km (in 43h38m climbing 20016m). (There are a couple longer but they seem impossible numbers, 23214km in 12h50m for example).
The most elevation is 30170m (641km in 100h34m, which seems very slow), someone else has done 29146m in 546km in 47h59m which seems more like it.

(Of course, this is just what the everesting.cc site lists.)

I'm not after the longest Everest. The hill I am thinking of needs less than 600km to do an Everest, so I'd be doing more than an Everest. I can't remeber but I think it was something like 2.5 Everests, or whatever. Just thought I'd do 600km, however many or few Everests it comes out at, so long as I get at least 1 Everest so I can tick that one off the list.

« Reply #47 on: 11 December, 2018, 04:55:23 pm »
This is a great idea Steve!

(I think that hill would work quite well for the purpose, just in terms of profile. And of course being quite local to me ...).

pre-May sounds good (as I have a massive log-jam in my May/June calendar). Pencil me in - I'll take the photos, you can write the Awoowoo article  :thumbsup:

Let me know if you want to co-ordinate.

:thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #48 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:06:36 pm »
Long distances in AUK are about the journey, not just the number of miles cycled. 

Although my own view matters not a jot, I personally look on Everesting as a peurile and self-centred form of cycling at odds with the ethos of randonneuring, which forms the foundation of our organisation.

ElyDave

« Reply #49 on: 11 December, 2018, 06:18:57 pm »
Long distances in AUK are about the journey, not just the number of miles cycled. 

Although my own view matters not a jot, I personally look on Everesting as a peurile and self-centred form of cycling at odds with the ethos of randonneuring, which forms the foundation of our organisation.

I'd agree, up and down the same hill for 12 hours, i'd get bored and go for a ride.