Author Topic: Ardnamurchan to ness point perm advice  (Read 4122 times)

Re: Ardnamurchan to ness point perm advice
« Reply #25 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:32:12 am »
Train to Oban. Ferry to Mull and cycle to Tobermory about 20 easy miles. Ferry to Kilchoan and then cycle to the lighthouse to start your ride.
Another vote for this option, I've done it twice, once in each direction. Didn't use the sleeper, Derby <> Oban is about 9 hours, going up we spent the night in Oban for the first ferry in the morning.  Coming back, camped on Mull, had a lazy morning and the midday ferry. Coming back was after an East to West, tougher than I was expecting, even as a tour, took me two attempts.
A82 Rannoch Moor, absolutely stunning, possibly the most scenic road in the UK, cycled it setting off early from Tyndrum and it was fine.  I've driven it a couple of times later in the day and I can see how it gets the reputation.

« Reply #26 on: 01 November, 2023, 09:08:00 am »
I last cycled it in 2018 both ways and although there was traffic I never found it to be a problem. It was busier however than the first time I cycled it in the 1990s.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 01 November, 2023, 10:15:54 am »
A85 is slightly more tolerable.
Loch Lomond is overated from the roadside anyway, but the cycle track from Arrochar/Tarbert to the Glen Fruin road is generally shite, it gets a bit better from there down to Balloch.

If you're hell bent on riding between Glasgow and Loch Leven then I'd recommend taking one of the following routes
Glasgow-Gourock-Any ferry to Cowal-Strachur-Inverary-Loch Awe, if you're going to Oban turning via Ford and Kilmartin is scenic but long.
Or take either side of the Gareloch to Garelochead and onto Arrochar, up the Rest and Be Thankful by which ever of the routes makes sense at least you have the choice to dodge the hordes using the old military road, but it's entirley possible the whole lot will be under Ben Arthur, descending Glen Kinglass is usually fine once you're up to speed. Inverary -Loch Awe.
Both land you on the A85 at Dalmally and it's downhill to Connel Ferry and usually tolerable enough as the only reason to go to Oban for most is to get a Ferry.

The A828 is supported by a pretty bloody decent cycle track on the former Ballachulish railway.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #28 on: 01 November, 2023, 10:58:20 am »

Don't mind a bit of gravelling, I'll likely be on the Faran for those rides with gravelly tyres.  I was looking at the route along the other side, using the old militaty road. I used one of those between Newton Stewart and Dumfries on the way to Gretna

All the roads on the south side of Loch Ness are gems.  Gives scope to vary the out and back routes. Don't miss the Inverfarigaig Corkscrew! (though what the Courier has labelled a farm road in their photo is actually a public road, just minus most of the tarmac)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: 01 November, 2023, 12:38:51 pm »

Don't mind a bit of gravelling, I'll likely be on the Faran for those rides with gravelly tyres.  I was looking at the route along the other side, using the old militaty road. I used one of those between Newton Stewart and Dumfries on the way to Gretna

All the roads on the south side of Loch Ness are gems.  Gives scope to vary the out and back routes. Don't miss the Inverfarigaig Corkscrew! (though what the Courier has labelled a farm road in their photo is actually a public road, just minus most of the tarmac)

Ah! So that's where it is, i've been looking for it on and off since I marshalled on the Caledonian 500 Classic Rally 23 years ago and it was on the night section.

Flâneur

« Reply #30 on: 01 November, 2023, 02:02:06 pm »

Ah! So that's where it is, i've been looking for it on and off since I marshalled on the Caledonian 500 Classic Rally 23 years ago and it was on the night section.

You wouldn't want to take a Classic along it now, that's for sure

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #31 on: 01 November, 2023, 05:07:58 pm »
meh, sump guards are de rigueur but most people enter these things in Pug 205s these days anyway... which are now as old as a Triumph TR3 was then

I've also realized when Iv'e been mentioning routes, I forgot the context of it being Ardnamurchan-Ness Point audax.

When I shove in route by Inverary on Google Maps it adds 7 miles, and sends you back via mull.

Timing the start right, you can do Onich to Glasgow overnight on the A82 and it won't be too bad.

« Reply #32 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:22:35 am »
Thanks for the comments all.  So I’ve started booking so far -
I’ve decided on the calendonian sleeper to Glasgow and then use the Oban, mull route with a night booked at tobermory youth hostel the night before the ride.  I must admit I did go for a seat on the sleeper, I know this was against all advice but £50 compared to a bed when hopefully I can get a decent night in tobermory before setting off just wasn’t worth it.

I’ve also decided against that way of coming back, in agreement with the comment made in the spirit of crossing the mainland.  I hope for the corran ferry over fort William which means a little less distance down the a82.  I think I would be there about 5pm and heading south to Glasgow from then.
Would this be a worthy alternative to the a82, it is a bit further but overall should work out just right on the overall distance, my main question is should these be better rides to ride from a safety point of view -
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44892133

I’m then looking at accommodation around scotch corner which would be just before the 600k mark for a decent sleep and I can have 20 minutes in a bus shelter on the nights either side of this.

From someone who mostly rides in east Anglia I’m not too sure how I will get on on the B6277, that looks like an experience!

Again, thank you all for the information.

« Reply #33 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:55:37 am »
Don't know if it will be any use to you Timb, here is my account of the route I took when I did the ride the opposite way to your ride. It was a leisurely cycle camping ride so the logistics would be very different however the routing my give some suggestions.  http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/reports/e2w.htm
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Flâneur

« Reply #34 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:41:57 am »
Regarding your route, Timb:

A828 Ballachuish-Connel Bridge: recommended
A85 Connel-Lochawe: better than the A82, especially outside ferry times

Main thing is how you continue from Cairndow - A83 Glen Croe is prone to closure in periods of heavy rain due to landslide risk/damage. When it is, there's generally a convoy system in place on the parallel, lower old military road. Not sure how set up for bikes they are if you are unlucky enough to be sent that way, though you would be going downhill at least. Alternative would be heading down the Cowal peninsula to Dunoon and get one of the ferries to Gourock.

If you do stick with the A83, someone else will maybe be able to compare the merits of the A82 alongside Loch Lomond versus the A814 through Helensburgh

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #35 on: 02 November, 2023, 09:33:02 pm »
Did Dumbarton to Helensburgh on the Clyde Coast Cruise, it was a bit Meh but never bad, before that it was the fantastic old railway from somewhere just after the Erskine bridge (It took me a while to find)

« Reply #36 on: 03 November, 2023, 11:45:06 am »
At Arrochar, rather than going to Tarbet and down the A82, might it be better to go south to Garelochhead and then along the minor road parallel to the A817 through Glen Fruin? I don't know the Arrochar to Garelochhead road, but I have ridden the Glen Fruin road, and it was nice.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #37 on: 06 November, 2023, 11:41:26 am »
I've never ridden the haul road, but I do really like the "old" road.
May as well go down Roseneath and take the ferry to Gourock and thus be able to totally avoid Glasgow?

« Reply #38 on: 06 November, 2023, 08:11:23 pm »
Langdon Beck Youth Hostel is about 30 miles before Scotch Corner if that would fit your plans.
From the direction you are travelling, it is on the downhill side of Yad Moss (B6277).
In May, the B6277 shouldn't be a problem, it's just a steady climb from the Alston side.

Avoid Scotch Corner itself -it's a nightmare. Junction 56 is a much safer crossing of the A1M.
And there is no way I would want to ride any part of the A66.
Whorlton Bridge, East of Barnard Castle is closed and probably will not be open in 2024 (Scheduled monument)

« Reply #39 on: 08 November, 2023, 08:33:25 pm »
Thank you all very much, the information is very much appreciated.

I have booked the date in may, the sleeper and a couple of other bits.  Still just trying to weigh up the merits of different route choices but all of the information is very helpful.

Tim

« Reply #40 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:48:05 pm »
You may have seen this already but I nicked the routes from this thread with a view to doing the same ride one day:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=71681.0

I think I have them in RWGPS

« Reply #41 on: 29 November, 2023, 07:38:25 am »
Thanks for sharing that, I very much enjoy reading other people’s experiences and gives me some idea on what I’m getting in to.

My planned route is very different, I did consider something through Edinburgh but have ended up going Glasgow side of things.  It’s hard to know what to do for the ‘best’.  I’m almost there and reasonably happy I’ve done what I can.  I need to have one more through check over of the route and then submit it.  After that I’ll then have to get on with planning where shops are etc.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44972441

« Reply #42 on: 29 November, 2023, 10:24:42 am »
No worries. I didn't look at your route, just skim-read your idea a bit and it reminded me I'd filed the other one away.
I've nicked your route too now - please do post a ride report in here in case I ever get around to riding either :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #43 on: 29 November, 2023, 10:45:10 am »
Thanks for sharing that, I very much enjoy reading other people’s experiences and gives me some idea on what I’m getting in to.

My planned route is very different, I did consider something through Edinburgh but have ended up going Glasgow side of things.  It’s hard to know what to do for the ‘best’.  I’m almost there and reasonably happy I’ve done what I can.  I need to have one more through check over of the route and then submit it.  After that I’ll then have to get on with planning where shops are etc.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44972441

Just noticing that your route would be flatter and have more facilities if you went Abington > Beattock > Ecclefechen > Gretna > Longtown rather than going via Moffat and the back country if that's of interest to you.

« Reply #44 on: 30 November, 2023, 10:34:22 pm »
Agreed, but the Beattock > Fechan > Gretna route is a pretty dull bit of road, so I would still choose the back route, which is much more interesting. The trade off is that there are some very badly potholed sections, so watch out for those.
If you have the time, you can use the various bits of cycle path along the Clyde to avoid a lot of main roads through Glasgow, from Bowling down to Blantyre. Some of it is a bit circuitous, however, so might not be suitable if you want to make progress.

« Reply #45 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:23:15 am »
I think I was just in too much of a rush to plan to Moffat as I could then borrow the LEL route, I remember squinting and thinking that following the main road was a lot further, however, you are right, minimal extra distance and 400m less of climb.  I will be riding fixed so I’ve change it to go via Gretna, many thanks for the suggestion.

I struggled a little with Glasgow and getting the balance between cycle paths and a direct line, the bonus is that I think it will be gone midnight before I go through so hopefully it should be quieter, thus I went for slightly more roads.  Thanks again for the suggestion and experience.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #46 on: 01 December, 2023, 04:21:43 pm »
Some Bits of the 7076  have been resurfaced (or possible the aggregate has dislodged from the lower binding layers and thus just looks like it?), many have not.

Err on the side of comfort for any Scottish road.