Author Topic: Etiquette re. former calendar events  (Read 1540 times)

Etiquette re. former calendar events
« on: 24 December, 2023, 11:44:21 am »
What's the etiquette regarding riding a defunct calendar event as a DIY? Would it be likely to cause any issues?

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Etiquette re. former calendar events
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2023, 02:04:06 pm »
I don't see that it will (though you might need to check that minimum distance is reached - some of the older ones fell a bit short in that requirement). The original organiser has given up on the event for some reason and no one has replaced them so I'm not sure who could possibly be offended.

The fact that you've asked the question already puts you ahead of those who might have ridden without enquiring first :)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2023, 05:42:02 pm »
Not an etiquette matter, sheer practicality - check that any planned refreshment stops are still open...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2023, 06:47:30 pm »
It's fine.

A few years back, I did an entire SR series using DIYs of historic events that no longer run.
(For the record, it did not include 'Ower the Edge'.)

As has been said, you might need to 'extend' them a bit, as some of the old events come up under-distance when measured with modern mapping software like Google Maps etc.

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2023, 07:00:19 pm »
I’d check it’s not still available as a perm.  Sometimes the calendar version disappears but it lives on as a permanent.  If it’s truly defunct then I’d doubt the ex organiser would object.  You could of course ask them (if they are still active), but just not running that particular event anymore.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2023, 09:18:31 pm »
If the route is still available as a perm I will also send the organiser the normal DIY fee even if I do it as a DIY from another start.

Should be no problem to do a former CE if you select mandatory DIY by GPS as it will comply to the minimum distance if you ride the actual route.

As Hellymedic says check the former controls are still available and also welcoming to cyclists!

« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2023, 06:57:33 am »
I'd say as a rough guesstimate about 90% of my recently achieved R 100,000 was done by riding defunct Calendar events over a 14 year period, some of those rides still exist as perms, which I have done many times, but those rides were designed in the 1980's based on roads you wouldn't want to use these days, obviously you have to agree with your DIY organiser which route you take etc by using the Google maps distance thing, basically like the old 'mesh' they are a guide, you will in some cases need to go a tiny bit further & change some controls but it has definitely worked for me, I've never been too adventurous with Audax & like to do the same rides all the time, I've done Bernard Mawson's series of events hundreds of times based on or around Doncaster.

« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2023, 02:14:40 pm »
I've done Bernard Mawson's series of events hundreds of times based on or around Doncaster.
Have you got the GPX files for these (if you're willing to share)?

« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2023, 07:41:10 pm »
Hello, The Bonk, no I don't have any Electronic files for any of the rides I've done including Bernies rides, I only ever used route sheets, I've never had a cycle computer at all. Bernard Mawson Perms were looked after by John Radford & now they are with Chris Crossland, he'll have the info you need regarding Gps whatever that is, I must get a mobile phone sometime, I do know they're starting to catch on.

« Reply #9 on: 28 December, 2023, 08:18:43 pm »
No worries. Thanks.

« Reply #10 on: 02 January, 2024, 10:17:53 am »
…..
……

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #11 on: 02 January, 2024, 10:53:59 am »
…..
……

;D ;D ;D
;D
A truly fine event nevertheless.
I mean, at how many other audaxes were you treated to a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer and some (carefully counted) Quality Street sweeties at the Drumlanrig Castle control?