Author Topic: Oregon senator has idea about cycling safety  (Read 1336 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Oregon senator has idea about cycling safety
« on: 12 August, 2008, 06:29:14 pm »
Helmet Compulsion Proposed For Oregon

"A State senator from Eugene, Oregon, USA has said he plans to introduce legislation next year that would expand Oregon's bicycle helmet law to adults.

Senator Floyd Prozanski is a well-established bicycling advocate who the Bicycle Transportation Alliance have praised in the past for his work on passing bicycle safety bills. Senator Prozanski, who rides 5,000 to 6,000 miles each year, says he has always been a "strong advocate for bicyclists." He sponsored the state's "Share the Road" licence plate and helped pass a law requiring cars to give cyclists ample room when passing. 

Prozanski disagrees with the argument that fewer people would ride if they had to use a helmet. "I have a real hard time with that one. All I'm saying is that I think it's time for the state, when we want to promote more use of bicycles, to ensure better safety for everyone. It's definitely worth the discussion."

Whilst some reports suggest Prozanski is backing away from the idea under vociferous pressure from pro-cycling advocates he still looks set to raise the issue before a committee hearing in October that will consider cycling safety issues.

Currently, Oregon riders aged 16 and younger must wear a helmet and the fine for riding without one is $25. Several U.S. cities require adults to wear bicycle helmets. But if Prozanski's plan succeeds, Oregon would have the only statewide all-ages helmet law"

Edited for brevity.  Full article including a photo of the senator looking tasty in his skid lid is here.