Author Topic: Why?  (Read 3373 times)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Why?
« on: 28 October, 2009, 07:22:46 pm »
I'm not an off-roader.

I mean...  the idea of it sounds fun, but pretty much any practical interest in it was beaten out of me as a teenager whilst I was busy scraping the stickiest, claggiest, clay you can imagine off tyres in order to make any further progress1.

So why of why does this picture do... strange things... to me?

side on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Help!

1 Except the couple of weeks per year when it baked bone-jarringly solid.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:31:43 pm »
It'll certainly be"keeping it real" with those forks and the very unforgiving (cx?) wheels, but why insist in spoiling what could be a great bike with only the one gear? It is (and looks) wrong to me  ???

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »
Absolutely lovely looking bike to my eyes. But - admittedly without any first hand experience - an eccentric b/b simply doesn't seem sensible for a MUD plugger.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:37:01 pm »
why insist in spoiling what could be a great bike with only the one gear? It is (and looks) wrong to me  ???

Less in the way of fiddly components to deal with when you're pressure-washing off some horrible clay, perhaps?

Or is that just my prejudices speaking?

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
why insist in spoiling what could be a great bike with only the one gear? It is (and looks) wrong to me  ???

Less in the way of fiddly components to deal with when you're pressure-washing off some horrible clay, perhaps?

Or is that just my prejudices speaking?

you're right to be prejudiced, the lanes round here are horrible in the winter and rear mechs need unclogging about every 10 minutes when it's wet.  I switched to a hub gear and it's been fantastic.

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2009, 07:44:52 pm »
This is the one doing funny things to me.  They'll be in stock in November.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2009, 09:42:58 pm »
And just when I'd almost talked myself out of one of these Swift SS on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:52:16 am »
Thanks for the nice comments guys. The single gear is my preference fro the majority of riding I do. As others noted, an eccentric allows you to use an internally geared hub as well as a single gear, either of which options make a lot of sense in my mind to a bike which is likely to see a lot of mud. That said, the Pegasus (and indeed all my frames) allow for use of derailleurs as well if that's your preference.

The carbon wheels (which are 'cross rims laced to disc hubs using 700x45 Dugast tyres), and carbon fork are definitely not forgiving, though the Ti frame helps. However this is a race bike, intended to be light and fast on the right kind of course, not a bike for every day use over very rough terrain.  Certainly this frame could be built with a suspension fork, normal wheels, bigger  tyres and gears which would make it much more suitable to a wider application.

Thanks again for the interest.

Sam

Singular Cycles

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2009, 11:16:01 am »
Hello Sam :D.

[starts saving for a Peregrine]...
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2009, 11:31:59 am »
Hello Sam :D.

Just the one?  Don't we get his'n'hers? :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2009, 11:35:07 am »
Quote from: butterfly

After an embarassingly long hiatus, I will have them back in stock in mid-Nov.

« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2009, 11:37:13 am »

Sadly, it will take rather longer than that! Especiall as we'll have to save for 2. ::-)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2009, 08:54:59 am »

Looks at calendar.

;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zoidburg

« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2009, 09:21:20 pm »
It looks nice, the thing that strikes me is how they are getting closer in concept to cross bikes than MTBs.

Skinny tubes, skinny knobblies, rigid forks, racy riding postition...

« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2009, 09:28:15 pm »
Well this one specifically is a race bike for non technically demanding courses (which we see a few of in the UK) so I guess a move towards a 'cross style makes sense. If you check out some of the other bikes on my site though there's definitely a range from long distance tourer to town bikes to more 'normal' mountain bikes. It takes all sorts  :)

Sam

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #15 on: 04 November, 2009, 09:50:29 pm »
The tubes don't look super-skinny to me.  And isn't that substantially a function of material, anyway?   I guess we've all grown at least somewhat accustomed to aluminium MTBs.  Agree with most of your other points, though.

...and looking at it is still inspiring me with strange, alien, off-road-ish, thoughts.  Don't think a Ti frame is the place to start, though!

« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2009, 03:03:56 pm »
For anyone who was speculatively looking at things like Peregrines, Singular have them back in stock now.

The web pages seem a little borked at the moment (various images not being found, some of the links not correctly pointing), but nothing too significant.

Ordering things seems to work. ;D

(That's two bits of n+1 I now have, or have ordered).

« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2009, 03:51:03 pm »
We're in the middle of a website rebuild at present Tim so I hope everything will be straightened out tonight.  Did get your order through no problem.

« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2009, 04:20:06 pm »
Thanks Sam. :thumbsup: