Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105097 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #325 on: 24 February, 2015, 04:56:53 pm »
Clockwise looks sensible.

« Reply #326 on: 24 February, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »

Yes then if done in can take valley back along Wye rather than Painscastle rollers  ;D here`s my ride from March `14 http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2724143

Started with Painscastle rollers out of L`dod ---something like 1000m ascent done by time I reached Hay Weather was nice though ! Unlike the vile conditions of today frequent sleet / rain storms
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #327 on: 24 February, 2015, 08:22:46 pm »
OK, that looks like the option then.

I'm looking forward to getting back to Wales after ploughing a groove around The Ashdown forest for 3 months.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #328 on: 03 March, 2015, 03:28:44 pm »
Posted off 7 brevet cards to two different riders today.  Business is picking up.  Looks like I might have to find another weekend for the 8A. The Ramblin Man Festival in Maidstone is v. tempting.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #329 on: 03 March, 2015, 05:14:24 pm »

Yes then if done in can take valley back along Wye rather than Painscastle rollers  ;D

Cheating!   ;D

I love it around Painscastle, just beautiful area.  The Begwyns particularly make my heart sing. Did a DIY on Saturday that went from home to Stourport, Over Clee, then Clun and ran south through Knighton, Presteigne, Painscastle, and back through undulating Herefordshire. Just stunning  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #330 on: 03 March, 2015, 06:14:40 pm »
Doing anything the weekend of the Cambrian 200?

I can't be arsed to drive that far so might do a 300 from Chepstow

« Reply #331 on: 03 March, 2015, 07:58:42 pm »

Yes then if done in can take valley back along Wye rather than Painscastle rollers  ;D

Cheating!   ;D

I love it around Painscastle, just beautiful area.  The Begwyns particularly make my heart sing. Did a DIY on Saturday that went from home to Stourport, Over Clee, then Clun and ran south through Knighton, Presteigne, Painscastle, and back through undulating Herefordshire. Just stunning  :thumbsup:

You should have called in for a cuppa ;D And I`m sure `cheating` option will be thoroughly spurned

Yes it is a lovely area and I`m well pleased to be both living and working in it; will much enjoy a 100 DIY this Friday out to Elan Valley and back from home too :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #332 on: 03 March, 2015, 08:31:53 pm »

Cheating!   ;D

Sounds lovely.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #333 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:32:01 am »

Cheating!   ;D

Yup, but don't forget rabbit dear I'm old and very sloooooooooowwwwww.

**The 4D spanning the 9-10/4 with a sleep stop at YHA Dolgoch Bunkhouse anyone ?**

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/dolgoch-bunkhouse

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7113618

Looks like I might have to find another weekend for the 8A. The Ramblin Man Festival in Maidstone is v. tempting.

I have a slot in the middle of July for some Cambrian fun. No I don't.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #334 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:45:44 pm »

Cheating!   ;D

Yup, but don't forget rabbit dear I'm old and very sloooooooooowwwwww.

**The 4D spanning the 9-10/4 with a sleep stop at YHA Dolgoch Bunkhouse anyone ?**

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/dolgoch-bunkhouse

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7113618

From the bunkhouse page:
How to get here
From Tregaron take the Abergwesyn Mountain Road for 9 miles

Gulp!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #335 on: 04 March, 2015, 02:30:51 pm »

Hmmm sounds interesting. 9-10/4 is a Thursday/Friday? A mid week ride would be ok with me.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #336 on: 04 March, 2015, 02:56:03 pm »

Hmmm sounds interesting. 9-10/4 is a Thursday/Friday? A mid week ride would be ok with me.

<prayer> I'm riding/crawling round Yr Elenydd on the Saturday, so a lunch/mid afternoon finish would suit me fine.</prayer>

« Reply #337 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »

<prayer> I'm riding/crawling round Yr Elenydd on the Saturday, so a lunch/mid afternoon finish would suit me fine.</prayer>

That`s one heck of a lot of climbing you`re packing into 3 days !!!---round about 11 000m I think---bon courage ;D

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #338 on: 04 March, 2015, 07:22:12 pm »

That`s one heck of a lot of climbing you`re packing into 3 days !!!---round about 11 000m I think---bon courage ;D

Hmmm, yes it is, best not to think about it. 8) <peril sensitive glasses on>.

I think I'd like to start in Brecon at mid morning, stop at 250 in the YHA and do the rest on friday morning for a full value afternoon finish.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #339 on: 05 March, 2015, 01:33:52 pm »
I'm tentatively thinking about using my PBP fitness, and a bit more again, to ride the 8A sometime late September/early October 15. Does anyone have GPX they could share? @rabbit Anyone want to join me?

« Reply #340 on: 05 March, 2015, 01:52:52 pm »
I'm tentatively thinking about using my PBP fitness, and a bit more again, to ride the 8A sometime late September/early October 15. Does anyone have GPX they could share? @rabbit Anyone want to join me?

Vistaed - If you pm me your email address I will post the gpx that I used. Great ride but take your granny gears  ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #341 on: 05 March, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »
The 4D is the Victor Kiam ride.  I loved it so much I bought the company. 

Brings back wonderful memories of the sun setting over Cardigan Bay as I rode the north coast of Pembrokeshire, sleeping by the side of the road on a tiny lane, a magic 24 hour petrol station on the A40 that provided coffee at 4am, and red kites feasting on a dead sheep as I sailed across the Brecon Beacons for the scent of a bacon butty.  Got back to Monmouth with 4 minutes left on my 24-hour car park ticket.  Not to mention a solo venture across the Devils Staircase, cowl in the Talbot Arms at Tregaron, and fish and chips in Fishguard where I was mistaken for a Dutch football fan because of the orange half of my hi-viz jacket.

The PhD of audax experience.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #342 on: 05 March, 2015, 02:21:04 pm »
Wish I could do that mid week 4D ride in April.  Work would probably sack me on the spot if I asked for any more leave this side of PBP though!

If I was strong enough I would love to do the 8A, especially early October again to get a big ride ticked off at the start of the season.  But, and I am sad to say it, I'm sure I'd not have the legs to keep up, even with a big summer of riding.  You do have a reputation for a reason!  Of course you could always go on ahead and get the coffee n chips ordered  :P

I don't think PBP will be good training for the Cambrians as it is just not hilly enough and I am planning on full value for that with a friend.  However, a few hilly 400's after may be enough to get the climbing legs working again.  I am very interested, I need a big challenge before 2016.  The biggest problem myself and Aunt Maud found was a decent overnight stop at that time of year as the YHA were closed so it may be Bivvying.  Not that there will be much sleep time at my pace. 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #343 on: 05 March, 2015, 04:46:06 pm »

It's a hard ask to do this with 12 hours of darkness each day as you will have a lot of big hills to do in the dark and it is hard to make up time on the ascents.  To give you an idea of the terrain in 2013 I did the 4C a week after the Rough Diamond 300k on the same bike and similar weather.  My average riding speed on the Rough Diamond was 30.0kph and on the 4C was 20.0 kph. 

« Reply #344 on: 05 March, 2015, 04:49:10 pm »

It's a hard ask to do this with 12 hours of darkness each day as you will have a lot of big hills to do in the dark and it is hard to make up time on the ascents.  To give you an idea of the terrain in 2013 I did the 4C a week after the Rough Diamond 300k on the same bike and similar weather.  My average riding speed on the Rough Diamond was 30.0kph and on the 4C was 20.0 kph.

But at 20.0 kph you'd still get round in the time limit as long as stops were minimised?  How much sleep did you have?  I don't find any difference descending in the dark to the light, unless it's icy.  The little lanes are just shite to descend on anyway, especially with sleep deprevation/exhaustion on top. 

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #345 on: 05 March, 2015, 05:27:43 pm »
Well as I said, it's a tentative plan. I would be bringing gears along on this one and not grinding it out on the fixie which does make Wales seem a bit flatter than usual to me. I'd probably take the Bivi option as I'm well practiced at that and my kit for wet weather sleeping is about 1.4kg, and under 800g if I use a shelter of some type. I'm also very used to riding off road at night so little Welsh country lanes at night are of no real concern, still got to be careful mind! I''ll not take the ride lightly and I'll plan to take the full 60h

Thanks for the gpx @swiss hat

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #346 on: 05 March, 2015, 09:15:57 pm »
I bumped into Swisshat doing the 8A last year when I was in Tregaron on the Tregaron Dragon last year.*  A PM to him might sort you although he may not have been using a GPX file since he was asking me if I knew directions to so and so during our chat - so no promises.

*Well ish on it - I wasn't bailing at the time oh no
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #347 on: 07 March, 2015, 07:37:39 pm »

But at 20.0 kph you'd still get round in the time limit as long as stops were minimised?  How much sleep did you have?  I don't find any difference descending in the dark to the light, unless it's icy.  The little lanes are just shite to descend on anyway, especially with sleep deprevation/exhaustion on top.

3 15 minute cat naps.  The 4C is 434km so got round in 25 hours.  I had quite a long stop in Llanfyllin, which ironically was 400km - but the section from Llangollen to Llanfyllin is quite special and my legs were about to fall off.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #348 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:20:52 am »
Some Cambrian Series stats for you.  Since 1 January 2008 there have been 273 entries and 136 completed events (though its impossible to know how many of the missing cards are DNFs or still mouldering on the shelf somewhere).  I'll honour any card that I've issued, so if you fancy one of the best permanents rides in the best scenery possible, then empty out that cupboard, find the thing, and ride it.

The most popular events are:

C2B (41 completions - although most of those are by one rider)
C2A (14 completions)
C1B (13 completions)
C2C (9 completions)
C3A (9 completions)
C2E (6 completions) and
C6A (6 completions) - well done those riders!

The C6B, C4A, C4E, C4F, and C4G have no completions, although the C4F and C4G have been ridden twice as together they form the C8A.  The C4A is the only event that has never had an entry.  Am not sure why Llangollen - Prestatyn - Mold - Conwy - Ffestiniog - Bala - Llanidloes - Machynlleth - Llangollen isn't attractive - there's a chance for a couple of crossings of the Berwyns, the mighty Bwlch-y-Groes and some rarely explored ground in North Wales. 

The ride with the worst completion rate is the C2G (1 out of 11 brevets issued) though I suspect that is DNS rather than DNF - again it is North Wales - Bala - Festiniog - Conwy - Mold – Ruthin - Llangollen - Bala - so perhaps Northern riders have a feast of other hilly perms that they can do around the Pennines and so are not tempted into darkest Wales.

Best years for completions: 2011 (26), 2014 (25), and 2010 (24).  There were only 7 in 2013 but I think a forum place and paypal entries have helped to keep the series alive.

« Reply #349 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:35:33 am »
The series is still well alive as they offer some cracking good rides in tough AAA terrain too  :thumbsup:

I`ve just checked my `to be ridden ` cards and quite a few...1C, 1E, 2A,2J, 3C, 4F. Hopefully once BRM calendar rides done may get opportunity ride some of these; even the 1 series are tough with near on 2000m climbing packed in.

Thanks CET  for your continuing work on these perms and keeping it all going  :thumbsup: