Author Topic: Yesterday's Heroes.  (Read 829 times)

Really Ancien

Yesterday's Heroes.
« on: 07 April, 2009, 05:42:28 pm »
It's surprising how little Rolling Stones there is on the radio. It's probably because they were a pastiche R&B band who became a pastiche Country Rock band. Any other bands who were once big, who we don't hear much of?

Damon.

Re: Yesterday's Heroes.
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:20:42 pm »
The Rolling Stones were fantastic from about 1968 through to 1972. Can't be bothered with them after that. That four album run though was fantastic:

1968  Beggars Banquet
1969  Let It Bleed
1971  Sticky Fingers
1972  Exile on Main St.

For a while there they truly were the best rock and roll band on the planet.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:22:41 pm »
A connected band to the Stones that were also awesome for a short while were The Faces. Good singles and great live stuff. Rod Stewart is one of teh great wasted talents of rock. Made loads of money with his crap later carrier though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:25:02 pm »
I just wonder why we don't hear them on the radio, they're very radio friendly, but whenever someone chooses their Golden Oldies they don't figure.

Damon.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2009, 06:31:02 pm »
I just wonder why we don't hear them on the radio, they're very radio friendly, but whenever someone chooses their Golden Oldies they don't figure.

Damon.

Bit overexposed ? The Beatles maybe more so, but I think more of their stuff is considered "classic"

There are a few Beatles tracks that I still find intriguing and/or make me smile, but the Stones just make me think "ho hum" on the whole*.  Though I know that's not a fair thing to think, it is the way it is for me.

*Gimme Shelter and 19th nervous Breakdown are exceptions