Author Topic: YORK CTC RALLY 2013 cancelled  (Read 7956 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi

clarion

• Tyke
Re: YORK CTC RALLY 2013 cancelled
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:00:13 am »
:o :o :o :o :o

:'(

I can't see the attached statement they promise...
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:04:37 am »
Nor can I but this is on their FB page

"URGENT MESSAGE. The 2013 York Cycle Show has been cancelled. Below the text of a Press Release.

Organisers of the annual CTC York Cycle show have had to cancel their planned 2013 event, due to have been held on the City’s Knavesmire over the June 22nd/23rd weekend.

Committee Chair Paul Hepworth of Holgate, York said ”Advance bookings by traders and visitors this year, are well below expectations. Last year’s horrendous weather depleted our attendance and income, and this year’s uncertain summer forecasts do not give cause for public optimism.

Changes in personal leisure and retail spending, plus increasing travel costs and the squeeze on personal finances have also influenced our visitor market . Our financial reserves have been depleted by all these factors, over the last two years. It is increasingly difficult to compete with other major cycling events which, unlike us have commercial sponsorship.”

Mr Hepworth continued “We have previously discussed involvement in the 2014 “Tour de France” and hope to bring the Cycle Show back in some form, as part of the activities associated with the “Grand Depart” in Yorkshire.

Other local CTC groups in Yorkshire are planning TdF related events, during the “Grand Depart” period, and to help build a “follow on” cycling legacy."

Rich

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:04:58 am »
From here

http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/files/ycscommitteestatement.doc

Statement by the York Cycle Show Committee.

It is with deep regret that cancellation is announced of the 2013 York Cycle Show which was planned for the June 22nd/23rd weekend. This is due to a number of factors which have faced the organising Committee. 

The event was started on a small scale in the late 1940’s as the York Cycle Rally, by a team of riders from York and Hull. Since then it has grown into a major trade and social event, in the national Cycling Calendar. A Committee of cyclists from the Yorkshire region have continued to run it on behalf of CTC, the National Cycling Charity.     

The event has traditionally been held on the Knavesmire, in the centre of York Racecourse. This open area of ground is very vulnerable to heavy rain. The site has limited facilities and the Committee have to hire water and drainage facilities from the adjoining Racecourse, plus other equipment to meet health & safety requirements for a public event.  These ever increasing costs currently stand at over £50K pa.

With splendid co-operation from parent body CTC, plus York Racecourse Committee and City of York Council, the event has been successful for many years. We remain profoundly grateful for their support.

However two recent years, notably 2012 have been affected by adverse weather. This reduced attendance plus depleted income and reserves. Changes in retail patterns, leisure time use and spend, and high travel costs have also affected the market. One of the Show’s regular major trader went into liquidation last year.

Grass track racing was a central feature until a few years ago, but often requires business support for prize money and officials attendance. This was not readily forthcoming. There is also increasing competition from commercially sponsored cycle sport and trade events, elsewhere in the UK. 

In recent years, the Committee have worked with local and regional Tourism organizations plus the national cycle trade, to expand awareness of York Cycle Show and attract new income. Traditional events were supplemented by a stunt team, participation activities and even a real ale bar!   

The Committee was hopeful that it could attract enough interest to break even this year. However despite extensive marketing, trade and visitors confidence  has not fully returned, and the number of advance bookings this year has proved insufficent for viability.

The Committee will consider whether the York Show can return in some form, during 2014. They had already liaised nationally with CTC and Welcome to Yorkshire, to play a role in the Tour de France “Grand Depart”  and hope to still fulfill that role in some way. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2013, 10:12:28 am »
With splendid co-operation from parent body CTC...

Really?

Really?

When?
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:19:00 am »
To be fair to the parent body, I've found Paul Hepworth not easy to work with. I've tried to contact him on several occasions, via email and via PM on here. On each occasion he took weeks if not months to respond. When he did respond it was always to be borderline rude and dismissive. 

The cancellation is really not surprising and I can't see the show re-appearing in anything like its original form.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:30:07 am »
If it comes back, I can see it being much more of a commercial concern.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:47:44 am »
The cancellation is really not surprising and I can't see the show re-appearing in anything like its original form.

^^^^^^^
My thoughts too.
IMO It's been a dead man walking for 2 or 3 years.Charging for admission to the trade exhibition was a mistake.Then the absence of grass track racing was a serious loss.The weather has not been too kind lately.The recession & cost of fuel will also have an impact on people's spending & travelling habits.

I think the CTC's neglect wrt to finance & admin has been most unhelpful.

I wonder if the Mildenhall event will benefit from the rally calendar being reduced?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:50:49 am »
I think Mildenhall may well benefit.  Personally, I've always much preferred York to Mildenhall, not least because of the bleak, windswept fens making cycling difficult & not a little boring near the latter.

But Mildenhall is a lively, well-run celebration of cycling, and the organisers seem to have new ideas, so it could have a strong future.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:56:31 am »
I think Mildenhall may well benefit.  Personally, I've always much preferred York to Mildenhall,

My preference is the opposite due to

Mildenhall is a lively, well-run celebration of cycling, and the organisers seem to have new ideas,

The attractions or otherwise of the local cycling environment at both venues has never interested me* muchly 'cause I can ride my bike wherever, whenever.

* except for Crinklylion's past endeavours at York :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2013, 11:58:11 am »
York's just such a lovely setting.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »

York's just such a lovely setting.

Yup.
We accidentally discovered the CTC Rally years ago during a weekend grockle to York

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »
Pah.  This is my fault for buying orange cardboard.

Ah well, I expect the CrinklyCubs can still take barakta on a journey to the outer planets (via clarion's local) or something.

TBH, I've always preferred Mildenhall as an event, for the reasons Clarion gives.  Cycling in the fens is something I have a limited tolerance for, but as a darksider the odd visit is worth it for the novelty value.  For me the main attraction of York is the gathering of forumites.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:44:43 pm »
The elephant in the room - it's in York.  A long way from the centres of population.  Were it to be further south, it might do better.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:53:42 pm »
it's in York.  A long way from the centres of population.

Statistically correct.It is however not difficult to get there
ymmv

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 21 May, 2013, 12:55:56 pm »
Mildenhall is much harder to get to than York, and seems to be managing just fine.

« Reply #16 on: 21 May, 2013, 01:01:42 pm »
Is there a plan B for that weekend?  :-\

Or shall I try to cadge a lift up to Portmahomack for the Tongue Twister?

« Reply #17 on: 21 May, 2013, 01:03:38 pm »
The elephant in the room - it's in York.  A long way from the centres of population.  Were it to be further south, it might do better.

Well its exactly half way between London and Edinburgh. Its also only 25 mile from Leeds and 65 from Manchester on very direct routes. It's a very London / South East view to think of York as being miles form the centres of population. London would be further away for anyone from the Leeds to Manchester conurbation and for a lot of the Midlands never mind anywhere north of there.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 21 May, 2013, 01:10:48 pm »
It does seem an odd, yet common, thing to say.

London's a long way from anywhere.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 21 May, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »
It does seem an odd, yet common, thing to say.

London's a long way from anywhere.

That's because there's so much London in the way.

OTOH, it's a truism that all trains go to London.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #20 on: 21 May, 2013, 01:18:55 pm »

OTOH, it's a truism that all trains go to London.

there is a reason why ALL railway lines are referred to as being either an UP line or DOWN line.

« Reply #21 on: 21 May, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
Sad news. Though like others, I'm not completely surprised, given the last couple I've been to - the weather hasn't helped.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22 on: 21 May, 2013, 02:19:47 pm »
I seem to remember me prediciting this several years ago.

I hate to say it but... I told you so.

Mildenhall is much harder to get to than York, and seems to be managing just fine.

CTC national office has absolutely no role in its organisation...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 21 May, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »

York's easy to get to. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #24 on: 21 May, 2013, 02:37:49 pm »

But then it would be full of bloody southerners...*

*Nothing to see here, move along.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…