Author Topic: Yamaha APX500 MkIII  (Read 997 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Yamaha APX500 MkIII
« on: 10 November, 2015, 01:56:45 pm »
Any musicians here got one?  I'm not a 'serious' guitarist (actually, I'm pretty crap) but I do enjoy playing purely for my own relaxation and was thinking of getting something cheap-isn that could sit in the corner for whenever I'm in the mood. Would welcome any advice.  My other option might be to get one of their 3/4 size practice models.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Yamaha APX500 MkIII
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2015, 03:01:32 pm »
I have an APX900 and I love it - great tone, particularly plugged in, and loud enough unplugged for most situations, though it loses a little in the bass department thanks to the narrow body. The main differences between the 900 and the 500 are, IIRC, the electronics and the finish; most of the important structural details are similar. What price have you in mind?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2015, 04:36:31 pm »
I don't know about this particular guitar, but small bodied electro-accoustics are totally brilliant things for having about the house.  You don't need the volume of a regular sized guitar and you'll play for longer because it's easier to hold and might even have a shorted scale length, making it easier on the fingers.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Redlight

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:12:40 pm »
I have an APX900 and I love it - great tone, particularly plugged in, and loud enough unplugged for most situations, though it loses a little in the bass department thanks to the narrow body. The main differences between the 900 and the 500 are, IIRC, the electronics and the finish; most of the important structural details are similar. What price have you in mind?

Thanks Tim (and to Charlotte and Road Runner).  I'm looking to pay about £300. Another reason for getting one is that my son, who is 8, seems to have an aptitude for music and so I'd like to have something around the house that is not too cumbersome so that he could pick it up and play about with without me worrying too much about him damaging it.  I already have an old EKO "folk" guitar but it's too big for him and, since I broke my wrist a couple of years ago, is not very comfortable for me to play as it has quite a deep neck.  I have played a Tanglewood, at McCabes Guitar Shop in Santa Monica, and it was lovely, but I don't have that kind of money to spend at the moment. 

Luckily, I live in London so can have a little wander around Denmark Street et al and, as suggested, try out a few.

TimC

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:51:10 pm »
I also have a Tanglewood bowlback which was, I think, around £200 (several of years ago). It needed the frets dressed, and it's not as stable in tuning as the Yamaha, but it's not a bad guitar. There's lots of good stuff around £300, though, so it's worth looking around. I got my 900 for £525 locally, when the RRP was about £850, so keep an eye out for good deals.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:16:32 am »
Look I may be mistaken here but I'm fairly sure Kenny Roberts won the 1980 Moto GP on one of these.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:41:39 am »
+1 for a parlour guitar. I have a Tanglewood Java parlour which is very pretty as well as being a good size for sitting on the sofa. You could also look at something like a Taylor Baby or a Martin LX1. I have a Taylor Baby and that's a cute little thing. I have a fondness for smaller guitars.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:35:58 pm »
You can get a really nice guitar for £300 these days. My most played guitar is a £200 Loar that stays near the sofa. Sigma and Recording King make very nice instruments.

If you could stretch to £350 for a used Taylor GS Mini, I'm pretty sure that would blow your mind.

No need for horrible squawky piezo pickups unless you're playing live. Spend the money on good woods.

Redlight

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2015, 05:15:52 pm »
Thanks for all of the advice.  I spent a very pleasant morning around Denmark Street and in the end plumped for one of these, which I got for £300.

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/product/evolution-exotic-tvc-koa/

Very pleased so far  ;D

TimC

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2015, 09:06:39 pm »
Pretty! The shape'so very similar to the Yamaha, so I'd expect s broadly similar sound initially, though it will change over time. Is it a gloss or satin finish? Satin Koa seems to mature into a really round, full sound that I really like. Gloss finishes limit the development of the sound a bit. That said, my Yam 900 (a gloss finished maple) has matured into a lovely sound, though a good bit brighter than Koa I suspect.