Author Topic: Eggshell paint...  (Read 1470 times)

Eggshell paint...
« on: 06 May, 2017, 01:18:18 pm »
I've just tried some Dulux Quickdry Eggshell paint (water based) on a shelf.  I bought this product because I didn't see the regular HVOC eggshell and thought 'give it a go'.  Sanded down existing white paint (matted surface) on the shelf, cleaned, two coats of the paint, next day peeled of edge masking tape and the new paint came off the shelf in a massive strip - didn't seem to have bonded/keyed in properly  :o  Paint remaining also easily scraped through with finger nail...

Has the regular smelly eggshell disappeared?  All I can see is 'trade' product for twice the price...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Eggshell paint...
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
Know next-to-nothing about paint though I'm unsurprised that anything/everything vaguely useful has been 'dumbed down' to the point of uselessness.

AIUI masking tape polymerises in UV light and becomes extremely difficult to remove after more than 12 hours...

« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2017, 02:44:07 pm »
Masking tape should be removed asap, we use it at the bus museum. We also use Dulux trade paint for interiors, noticeably superior to retail paints, including how well it goes on.

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2017, 03:12:07 pm »
I tried to get a refund/credit note in-store (B&Q) and the manager took the paint away mixed it and painted some on paper, hotair-dried it, and said "there is nothing wrong with the product, you may not have stirred it or prep'd the suface properly".  Point blank refused - so I was not best pleased, obviously when it come to paint, the 'customer does not know best'.  Have managed to get some regular solvent based 'Leyland' eggshell, so will try this.  I think this solvent based product is being EU-ified, and maybe the 'quickdry' Eggshell paint ,which is supposed to be 'self-undercoating' does work with special care, but it ain't Eggshell...

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2017, 05:01:38 pm »
Most water-based stuff is carp

Most quick-dry stuff is carp
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2017, 05:30:59 pm »
This quickdry eggshell dries far too quickly and does not give a good finish on curved edges, as there is no real time for any lines, brush marks to 'flow' together.

This time I've removed the masking tape after the first coat.  I'd only put it onto the tiled surrounds so as not to have to keep wiping.  Think the quick-dry eggshell may be acrylic based and seems to be like a layer of, erm, acrylic, that doesn't seem to bond nicely.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:55:03 pm »
Dulux Trade has a higher quality pigment, but is slightly more critical with application and preparation. I would use it, if you can stand the extra cost.

I avoid plastic paints, as they are rubbish and are also horrible to strip.

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2017, 10:10:03 pm »
I've used some of  the same dulux formulation - mainly cos that's what's available and matches the 10+ yr old stuff. Yeah, worse than oil eggshell to apply, nr impossible yo avoid bryshmarks :( - got a sill to redo at some point, will try thinning as per instructions.  Masking tape's always a poor 2nd to cutting in properly imo, but you need to remove it asap, esp with quick drying stuff (ditto with caulking).
Im not sure that it isn't a more matt finish than the oil eggshell - I've since used some dulux waterbased satinwood which - unlike the eggshell - seems to resist minor limescale marks from water splashes, and seems nearer the finish of the original eggshell. Or mebbe our predecessors mixed finishes,  wouldn't be entirely surprising.
Fwiw, last lot of undercoat/primer I used was zinser stain block - spirit based and so (like other oil stuff) flats nicely with wet, wet n dry (to be fair, so does the eggshell/satinwood).

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2017, 06:25:52 pm »
I'd go for Johnstones for a good paint.  I've not used Dulux for quite a while as IME they've gone down hill for quality.
Move Faster and Bake Things