Author Topic: Buying a bench grinder  (Read 1428 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Buying a bench grinder
« on: 16 June, 2017, 10:39:32 am »
Any tips on good/bad/indifferent, what to look for etc?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Buying a bench grinder
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2017, 10:50:03 am »
What are you grinding?
Sharpening tools I would recommend a wet grinder as they won't overheat the tools - Tormek have a very good reputation, but pricey.
I have an old Creusen dry grinder which has good. White stones are more aggressive which again heats the tools less.
There is a large range of accessories to help get the correct angle of grind.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2017, 11:17:44 am »
mainly garden tools, mower blades, shears, axe, that kind of thing.

I have whetstones as well for the fine sharpening

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2017, 03:45:44 pm »
I have a couple of bench grinders but these days if I want to sharpen tools etc I normally use my angle grinder. It is much faster, produces less heating, and I can get into the crook of my shears etc.   I use a thin disc (meant for cutting) just to give a nice edge on a tool with minimal removal of material, and various coarser discs if there is much stock to remove prior to creating the edge. I also sharpen drills, give them split points etc all using the angle grinder.  In every case the work is faster, with less heating and a better result vs the bench grinder.

If you are going to have a bench grinder come what may, it is worth noting that they mostly are fitted with induction motors. These are reliable and smooth-running (normally the shaft runs on a couple of cartridge bearings), but ultimately the torque is often lacking for heavy-duty work.  BTW Cheap wheels go out of balance easily and if one starts to break up it can be incredibly dangerous.

cheers

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2017, 05:22:56 pm »
Most of the really cheap ones have tool rests which are utter shite.  Try to pay a bit more for one which has decent adjustable toolrests, not a bit of bent steel held on with one bolt like many of them are.  I have got one of the cheapo ones, and when I eventually succeed in moving house, will make new tool rests for it.  I also have diamond and ceramic stones for fine accurate sharpening.  As for lathe tools, I only used replaceable tip ones!
Wombat

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2017, 12:30:53 pm »
good point about the toolrests; they are indeed properly shite on a lot of cheap machines....

cheers

ElyDave

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:19:20 pm »
I've managed to get the axe decently sharp with a file and then an emery stone, that was the main reason for the poss bench grinder, so I'll probably leave off for now, but thanks for the tips

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »
Everyone I know these uses a belt sander mounted upside down in a wood vice. Spray bottle for lube.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium