Author Topic: Pennine Way  (Read 3077 times)

Pennine Way
« on: 30 July, 2017, 11:14:25 am »
Well, it's almost camping I was carrying a tent.
Last Thursday, I started a walk south to north along the Pennine way.
My intention was to wild camp for most of the trip except for when a little more comfort was required.
I was later leaving Edale than I had intended 11.00am and started into light rain.
It is a bit of a baptism of fire for the uninitiated with the climb up Jacobs Ladder to Kinder Low.
Without exception, the folks i met making their way down, did not look as if they were enjoying themselves. I should have realised that this was a portent of things to come.
Frankly, conditions were appalling. I have never seen it so wet, Kinder Force was a roaring torrent of dark brown malevolence.
I always look out for wild camping spots on my travels, but I never saw one on the entire 16 mile route.
I quickly realised that this was not a good place to be traveling alone as a fall could have dire consequences, but there are very few places to bale on this section of the route, so I pressed on.
The stream crossings were now river crossings with water over my knees in places, I was very glad that I had bought both trekking poles as I often travel with only one. My 18 kilo pack was not improving the situation and I did consider removing it and throwing it over on one particularly deep and fast crossing.
The decent from Bleaklow Head and Torside Clough was particularly tough and running with water almost constantly.
I was very relieved to reach Torside Reservoir and the safety of the valley with only the final mile to the camping club site at Crowden to negotiate.
After pitching the tent and a wonderful hot shower, I sat down to review my day. My boots were totally saturated and conditions over the next two days of the route were unlikely to improve, so, with a heavy heart, I took the decision to bale.
The following morning I spoke to the camp site warden and she said the current conditions were the worst in years.
She told me that only two days before, one unfortunate soul had arrived with no tent, having lost it when it was carried away on one river crossing!
Looking back from the comfort of home and two days into the boot drying process, I think I made the correct call.
It hasn't stopped me booking a train to Skipton and a return to the fray for next week though!!

Re: Pennine Way
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2017, 07:42:20 am »
18Kg is a lot to carry.

Take care
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
18Kg is a lot to carry.

Take care

I have managed to pare about 3kg off that for the next stage....

« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2017, 09:59:26 am »
Good luck with the 2nd part, yes atrocious weather up in the Peaks last week, I cut a ride short and jumped on a train in Grindleford, it was packed with walkers!!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:35:04 pm »
Sounds ridiculously wet. Hope it goes a bit better for you from now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:38:39 pm »
The first day to Crowden is IMO one of the hardest on the entire route - the other big days are over Dun Fell from Dufton, and the last push over the Cheviots if you do that in one day.

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2017, 11:39:02 am »
I baled on my first attempt too after 100 miles, blisters, but did it in 12.5 days 6 months later, did 22 miles on first day then so it can be done if you get the right weather, good luck!  On the first attempt I had the renowned bog trot towards Kinder Downfall (after Mill Hill?) but when next back there it had all been replaced with slabs, 1994.  You can actually save yourself a long hike if you don't go down into Dufton but just camp on the top, I found a stream next to grouse butts - but this would be cheating and I didn't do this on the actual PW walk.  IMO a warm inner tent and dry sleeping bag are more important than paring weight off and being cold and wet bivvying or whatever.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2017, 03:52:08 pm »
We avoided the flagstones and went straight over the top, but strangely didn't have any issues with mud.

I wonder why?

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2017, 10:50:39 pm »
Yep, you can't beat a good freeze for sorting out the boggy bits!

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2017, 10:09:58 am »
Brrr, hope no frozen boots, I've never been back winter camping since! :-)

BTW if you can arrange to wild camp along the SE shore of Malham Tarn you won't regret it, the PW cuts from the lake overflow to the wood corner but it's possible to camp there if you choose your spot, beaautiful, I managed to get back there last year.

« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:23:35 pm »
Thanks for that info JT. That should be Friday night sorted then ;)

« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »
All set for the return event on Friday.
Managed to shave 7kg of the rucksack so that should improve things.

« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2017, 12:44:16 pm »
What are you doing about resupply?  I posted the second week's food / fuel to Bowes poste restante, but the lady with the NE accent there said they hardly got any PWers doing that, I think there's a YH further on can be used instead which is less out your way?  That was really knackering, adding another x kg to your pack, with a hilly afternoon's walking ahead!