Author Topic: [LEL17] Shortest route  (Read 4295 times)

[LEL17] Shortest route
« on: 13 August, 2017, 06:16:30 pm »
As all experienced randonneurs know, it is important to take the shortest route. This is especially true in large cities where the inexperienced might go off-route - this adds unnecessary distance.

As a lesson to my fellow riders I thought I'd share the route I took through metropolis known as Barton-upon-Humber...

(click to show/hide)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Shortest route
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:21:34 pm »
This bears a strong resemblance to the Chinese character for "The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road".  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LMT

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:24:47 pm »
I was worried myself going into that town that I'd get lost. Relived to see the cycle route sign going over the bridge.

On another note about shortest route. Looking at some Strava data on some profiles. I've noticed that some folk's rides have come in under 1400km, what does this mean in terms of homologation?

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:37:15 pm »
On another note about shortest route. Looking at some Strava data on some profiles. I've noticed that some folk's rides have come in under 1400km, what does this mean in terms of homologation?

Presumably "Nothing at all" if they visited all the requisite controls in time. Might suggest some changes to the route might be required for next time though?

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:43:18 pm »
Nothing.  The homologation (validation) methods predate Strava by not far short of a century.
Theoretically possible to ride as little 1330km and still visit all the controls in the right order (although chances of survival on some of the roads you'd use doing that are less than acceptable to most).

« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:54:28 pm »
If you pause / kill / crash Strava the mileage won't be counted, not even the crow-flies distance from stop to restart. That's the most likely explanation.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2017, 07:41:37 pm »
My route around Barton looks pretty similar as I was trying and failing to find some food at 6am on Wednesday morning.

« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2017, 07:57:07 pm »
If you pause / kill / crash Strava the mileage won't be counted, not even the crow-flies distance from stop to restart. That's the most likely explanation.

You can shave off a bit of distance (& climbing) between Pocklington & Thirsk by avoiding Coxwold, if I'd have ridden at that stretch at night I would've gone via York & then taken the A19 all the way up/down

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:06:14 pm »
I did exactly that at 2AM, Stamford Bridge followed by the A19 - virtually no traffic at that time of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:31:37 pm »

You can shave off a bit of distance (& climbing) between Pocklington & Thirsk by avoiding Coxwold, if I'd have ridden at that stretch at night I would've gone via York & then taken the A19 all the way up/down

I have driven on the A19/A64 around York on the way back home. It's not officially a motorway, but it seriously looks like one! I told myself I would never cycle there, and would never recommend anyone to cycle there.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:05:07 pm »

I have driven on the A19/A64 around York on the way back home. It's not officially a motorway, but it seriously looks like one! I told myself I would never cycle there, and would never recommend anyone to cycle there.

It was fine at midnight and it's possible to go straight through the centre of York if you don't mind a bit of cobbles
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:33:04 pm »
There were a lot of riders on the A19 during the night. I left Thirsk at midnight and used the A19 until Easingwold, from there mainly the old 2009 route.

« Reply #12 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:41:17 pm »

It was fine at midnight and it's possible to go straight through the centre of York if you don't mind a bit of cobbles

Blimey, what route did you take through York? All the cobbles I can think of are a bit off-route.

« Reply #13 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:53:14 am »
I guess he took the scenic route, just to get his money's worth.

Back on topic, I felt like we were going the wrong way on the return leg through Barton and it dawned on me why that was.
Every other time that I have crossed the Humber bridge in darkness on an audax, the next control was Gainsborough.
The Alfreton audax magnet was pulling me in the wrong direction.

« Reply #14 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »
Are you me?

Not only did we make similar errors with regard to car keys, we both seem to have followed the same route to the bridge!

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #15 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:54:30 pm »
Wow!! Was this intentional? I did a DIY 600 in May from Fife to Nottingham following much of the LEL route, without having seen the LEL route. I planned my ride before hand and made motes of where coops and service stations were so I knew every village I could stop at for something to eat if I needed and also a new route through the town.

I appears strange that you weaved through what is a small village looking for something.

Dave C

https://www.strava.com/activities/950604187
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #16 on: 14 August, 2017, 02:02:29 pm »

I did take a bit of a meander to have a look at the Minster.  Aren't there cobbles? Maybe I dreamt them! ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #17 on: 14 August, 2017, 04:35:08 pm »
Are you me?

Not only did we make similar errors with regard to car keys, we both seem to have followed the same route to the bridge!

Relax, we're not clones.

I was riding *away* from the bridge...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #18 on: 14 August, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »

I did take a bit of a meander to have a look at the Minster.  Aren't there cobbles? Maybe I dreamt them! ;)

There are a few cobbles as you pass the Minster ,IIRC. They are to slow down the cyclists so that you don't mow down the tourists who assume that traffic free includes bicycles.

« Reply #19 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:38:38 pm »
There are a few cobbles as you pass the Minster ,IIRC. They are to slow down the cyclists so that you don't mow down the tourists who assume that traffic free includes bicycles.
Yeah, that's what those cobbles do. Sure.