Author Topic: Cyclists: I wonder if they act the same when they're driving?  (Read 5941 times)

Re: Cyclists: I wonder if they act the same when they're driving?
« Reply #25 on: 25 August, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
I change down the box when approaching cyclists when I don't immediately have enough room to pass them.  Of course I can't be sure they aren't wearing headphones or fiddling with their phones, as with pedestrians.

I'm of the generation that was taught to change down as you slow down, and the generation that doesn't wear headphones, or constantly check phones. Most drivers don't change down, and indeed prefer not to, so they pass in top gear, without indicating their presence, and usually too close.

« Reply #26 on: 25 August, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »

I broke the bell dinger on one bike so I have to shout 'beep beep' which works very well.

I tend to call out "Ring-Ring" which not only works, but creates amusement and friendliness (usually) 
I'm also a brake lever flicker on canals.
None of this worked when I had to tap a chap on the shoulder.  He was away with the fairies, or whatever the Deth Metal equivalents of fairies are, plugged into his I-Thing
I've used  a "Ding Dong" inna Leslie Phillips stylee before now.   A man with a splendid moustache such as yours should try it.

Nurse Bell?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 25 August, 2017, 06:53:30 pm »
How do you know...?

*imagines fiendish experiments taking place at Larrington Towers, an Igor standing by to fix things, endless supply of wolves, Angua discovering said fiendish experi......*

I only do that when I get tired of the game with the tennis racquet, the bucket of kittens and the RAF-surplus Rolls-Royce Avon :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #28 on: 26 August, 2017, 01:22:54 am »

I broke the bell dinger on one bike so I have to shout 'beep beep' which works very well.

I tend to call out "Ring-Ring" which not only works, but creates amusement and friendliness (usually) 
I'm also a brake lever flicker on canals.
None of this worked when I had to tap a chap on the shoulder.  He was away with the fairies, or whatever the Deth Metal equivalents of fairies are, plugged into his I-Thing
I've used  a "Ding Dong" inna Leslie Phillips stylee before now.   A man with a splendid moustache such as yours should try it.

I've never quite dared to use Ding Dong precisely because of the Leslie Phillips or Terry Thomas associations - my facial hair is not sufficiently Basilesque to carry it off with aplomb.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #29 on: 26 August, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »
How do you know...?

*imagines fiendish experiments taking place at Larrington Towers, an Igor standing by to fix things, endless supply of wolves, Angua discovering said fiendish experi......*

I only do that when I get tired of the game with the tennis racquet, the bucket of kittens and the RAF-surplus Rolls-Royce Avon :demon:

"You're a sick man, Rico...!"
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 26 August, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »
"Ting ting" tends to be my favourite.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:26:53 pm »
I came upon a chap who was riding (pretty slowly) to the extreme right of the lane. I had a little umm & ahh and decided to undertake him, announcing myself with "On yer left".

I went passed and heard him splutter, in a really old-england-posh accent, "WE PASS ON THE RIGHT IN THIS COUNTRY!!!"

Twunt.

Phil W

« Reply #32 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:40:00 pm »
I came upon a chap who was riding (pretty slowly) to the extreme right of the lane. I had a little umm & ahh and decided to undertake him, announcing myself with "On yer left".

I went passed and heard him splutter, in a really old-england-posh accent, "WE PASS ON THE RIGHT IN THIS COUNTRY!!!"

Twunt.

To which you replied "And we cycle on the left in this country, or had you forgotten?"

« Reply #33 on: 01 September, 2017, 11:25:27 am »
I found 'Achtung' worked quite well in Germany last month. I knew a lifetime of watching war movies wasn't a waste of time.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:49:45 pm »
My behaviour when driving is definitely very different from my behaviour when cycling. When driving, I am acutely aware that my vehicle is >1.5 tonnes and is capable of great speed and acceleration. I am constantly on the look-out for places where pedestrians might suddenly appear and require me to take evasive action. When cycling, combined weight of me and vehicle is slightly less than 1.5 tonnes and has very little capacity for speed or acceleration. I tend to sit back, look around and enjoy myself, unless I am mixing it with motorised traffic, in which case I am constantly trying to make sure that I am not the victim of some myopic driver's negligence.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.