Author Topic: Has anyone got a nice route from Central London to tonbridge  (Read 992 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Has anyone got a nice route from Central London to tonbridge
« on: 10 October, 2017, 02:30:23 pm »
Killing two birds with one stone and riding to Tonbridge TN11

Was wondering if there was a nice route to cycle there from central london.  Mapping software seems to give cycling the A21 which doesn't look fun.

Thanks.

Re: Has anyone got a nice route from Central London to tonbridge
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2017, 02:35:53 pm »
Cycle Streets is quite good, has 3 routes:fast, balanced, quiet.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2017, 03:34:40 pm »
I've got one, if you don't mind hills!

Definitely avoid the A21 - the section south of Sevenoaks is like a motorway.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:02:21 am »
Have a look at cycle.travel/map
Likes cycle tracks, gives a quiet(ish) route, and a printable cue sheet if you don't export for GPS.
Drag & drop to alter what it comes up with (eg to avoid a steep hill).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:35:07 am »
I just had a look at cycle.travel. The route it suggests is more or less the way I would go, except for the bit via Cudham (same road as used on the Shark 200 and Greenwich Mean Climb 300), which is admittedly much nicer than the A21 but the climb to Cudham is viciously steep. Instead, bear right in Downe to go past Charles Darwin's house and continue southwards to join the A233 south of Biggin Hill, then turn left onto Pilgrims Way - slightly longer way round but skirts around the valley.

A bit further on, you get to enjoy the descent of Hubbards Hill, or you could turn left onto Gracious Lane and go via the seriously fast descent of River Hill instead - it's a big main road but wide.

The first bit of the route out of Central London depends exactly where you're starting and whether you prefer fast main routes or back streets.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."