Author Topic: Gel padded gloves needed  (Read 570 times)

Gel padded gloves needed
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:24:48 pm »
On long rides I end up with tingly fingers on my left hand due to pressure on my palm. So, any recommendations for short and/or long fingered gloves with a good padded palm which would alleviate this?

Thanks

Re: Gel padded gloves needed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:06:48 am »
For symptomatic cure Prologo CPC.

However, a bike fit may well get to the root cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:29:02 am »
I'd not recommend gel padded gloves myself. Having used them I never felt the gel was in the right place. Subsequently I went for gloves with minimal padding - just reinforcement really - and added gel pads under (in some cases) padded handlebar tape.

However, leaving aside that, and the possible benefits of a bike fit, I know of one sure way to relieve pressure on the hands, but it isn't easy.  That is increasing you core strength - not an area exercised by cycling much. you should with sufficient core strength be able to hold the same body position without your hand on the bars as with. In that way your hands do the steering and braking, not the supporting. Ultimately you'll get tired and "sag", but additional core strength will (IMO of course, other will probably differ) delay the onset. Easy to say, hard to achieve.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:14:22 pm »
Been using these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-short-finger-glove/  Bought one pair last year, two more this year.  On cooler days I wear them over light rain gloves.  Best I've had for a long time.

I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:23:08 pm »
we have covered "the hand pressure and how to avoid it" as a topic in excruciating detail

I have a blog post about it here https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/hand-numbness-and-long-distance-riding/

To save you the bother of reading it: executive summary, gloves are not especially the answer

However, if you want padded gloves my experience is that the "most padded" are the Specialized Body Geometry Gel Mitt.  These have lots of good padding in exactly the right places.  However, they tend to be expensive and are not built to last.  I got another type of Specialized mitts cheap, customized them a bit (stuff about it on the blog somewhere) and they've been pretty good

Another good option is the Ozzo washable gel mitts.  These are not as breathable or suitable for summer conditions as the Specialized but they are much cheaper, the padding is excellent and they last approximately forever.  http://www.inmotionproducts.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?search=yes&bc=no&catalogid=87

Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:42 pm »
OK thanks I'll have a read.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:00 pm »
I think gloves are too personal (though less than saddles) for recommendations to be directly useful. That said, I quite like Specialized BG gloves, some Gore ones, and the Decathlon 700/900/Aerofit mitts.

(Plus, as everyone else has said, gloves can help but aren't anywhere near a complete answer.)

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
I go for the doubled-up mitt approach.  I started off doing this with cheaper Lidl/Aldi gel mitts, where I tested a size that fitted well, then simply bought an extra, larger pair to be the outer mitts.  I now use planet-X mitts as the 'inners', i.e. mix mitt manufacturers, with arguably a benefit of having gel pads in slightly different areas.  On a recent 200km, I still had some tingling at certain times, but it was never bad, and then went away; nothing post ride.  I don't have gel under bar tape(Bont- Cork), so could do this as well.
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"