Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 135806 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #400 on: 16 July, 2018, 02:05:40 pm »
Porte crashed out on a mountain stage last year.

And yesterday he crashed before they had even reached the first cobbled sector.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #401 on: 16 July, 2018, 02:59:36 pm »
The son of a friend raced on the continent for a while. He was involved in crash and went to hospital. They were sceptical when he told them he wasn't 'on' anything. The medics would need to know so as not to compromise the medical treatment.

I've been bearing that in mind in considering how the peloton might feel about the breaches of medical confidentiality in the Fancy Bears leaks. The peloton as a workplace, with many self-employed contractors, gives it a certain dynamic, especially as there's plenty of time to discuss matters.

It's obvious that the organisers want a new winner. One innovation seems to be a pool interview for the Yellow Jersey. I've only heard one voice talking to the GC leader. Interviews used to add to the stress of first place, and that advantaged Froome, who was comfortable and plausible in that role. I'll be interested to see if we see more access to the Yellow Jersey as the Tour progresses.

« Reply #402 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:27:46 pm »
The difference being that you only have to ask.

There's nothing a total knob like me likes to do more than let someone in on the secret. This isn't the Freemasons . . .
OK, so why does Mr Chavanel get his name bleeped? I get that it's the Scunthorpe effect, but I bet there's more of a story than that...

« Reply #403 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:46:43 pm »
It's quite difficult researching this stuff. It took me a while to find out that Bernie Eisel is the UCI rider's rep.

Slow times in the hedging business?  ::-)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #404 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:51:33 pm »

There's nothing a total knob like me likes to do more than let someone in on the secret. This isn't the Freemasons . . .
OK, so why does Mr Chavanel get his name bleeped? I get that it's the Scunthorpe effect, but I bet there's more of a story than that...

The first 4 letters are a somewhat derogatory term. Mr L. would need to explain further but it's probably just in the interests of 'being excellent to one another' and it stuck. For the same reason we never mention '***lls', you know, the ones that dwell beneath bridges or p*nct*res for fear of invoking the faeries...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #405 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:57:09 pm »
It's quite difficult researching this stuff. It took me a while to find out that Bernie Eisel is the UCI rider's rep.

Slow times in the hedging business?  ::-)

Hedgelaying can only be carried out in Autumn/Winter. I'm currently making a film about the Lands End/ John O'Groats record, and writing an article about the Mile Failte 1200 in Ireland, in-between the usual procrastination.

Grounds maintenance work has come to a halt with the drought, and the organiser of the volunteer wildflower meadow work I do occasionally is on holiday.

I can pretty much please myself what I do, although I should be curing an oil leak on the Land Rover, but it's come on to rain.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #406 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:02:54 pm »

The first 4 letters are a somewhat derogatory term. Mr L. would need to explain further but it's probably just in the interests of 'being excellent to one another' and it stuck. For the same reason we never mention '***lls', you know, the ones that dwell beneath bridges or p*nct*res for fear of invoking the faeries...

The same for TV's *** Boulting.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #407 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:05:34 pm »
I see that SD Millar hasn't spent the last year improving his rest day monologue delivery then...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #408 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:31:06 pm »
There's probably an opening for interpreting Adam Yates to the world. He'll only speed up his speech under stress as well.

« Reply #409 on: 16 July, 2018, 09:37:28 pm »
For sure

Samuel D

« Reply #410 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:05:58 pm »
You’d first need to find someone fluent in the Yates brothers’ lingo. French TV sometimes attempts to interpret their interviews for the benefit of the viewers. The French is made up out of whole cloth but I like hearing plausible answers to the questions, for sure.

« Reply #411 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:17:11 pm »
Maybe they could voice him with the accent of Mortagne-au-Perche, the French spiritual home of the black pudding.

Black puddings are found the world over and the international championships are held in Mortagne-au-Perche (Normandy) every year.  Cynics say you get a certificate and medal for turning up from overseas.  That is cynical view because Mortagne is special.  The Chevaliers for the Boudin Noir are proud men who know a good pudding – La Confrerie du Goute-Boudin – I’ve attended the fete. Favoured locally is boudin served with pomme puree (made with meat stock and local butter) and apple puree made from Normandy apples, set off with Pommeau or Calvados.

The 2011 contest is coming up – March 18-19 – so if you’re travelling through Normandy around those days, it might be ‘worth a detour’ as the Guide Michelin used to say.

If any black pudding was to be considered seriously for protected status then it would have to be the Bury Ring, a shining jewel of a ‘boudin’ from Lancashire. Some of London’s poshest butchers sell Bury Rings – try Dring’s on Greenwich’s Royal Hill  for example. They sell 60 of these family made Bury delicacies every week – I’m encouraged.

http://www.garethjonesfood.com/?p=1179

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #412 on: 16 July, 2018, 10:36:50 pm »
I see that SD Millar hasn't spent the last year improving his rest day monologue delivery then...

Not as good as his rendition of Ride of the Valkyries for sure.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #413 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:31:45 am »
O hai! P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® iz back from channelling another zeitgeist inna different basement and has, for ur viewing plezh*, picked teh bones out ov stages 6-9.  Any misidentification of M Rendall 4 D Friebe & vice-versa is due 2 lack of glasses.

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #414 on: 17 July, 2018, 09:13:15 am »
O hai! P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® iz back

Thank goodness for that. I had to actually watch the last few stages and didn't have a clue what was going on! ;)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Samuel D

« Reply #415 on: 17 July, 2018, 09:15:22 am »
Did the Sky bus really have tyre problems? I saw a team car with a space-saver on the back. The low-profile tyres they use are entirely inappropriate for cobbles so it didn’t surprise me to see that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #416 on: 17 July, 2018, 09:29:00 am »
If the $ky team bus did have tyre problems I would laarrff, but the "Hullo clouds hullo $ky" business is an homage to basil fotherington-tomas* in the nigel molesworth books by G Willans and R Searle.  The keen-eyed observer may also have noticed C Froome saying "hullo clouds hullo stem" from time to time.

* who is uterly wet and a weed, and sa things like that

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #417 on: 17 July, 2018, 10:34:07 am »
The balance of TEH MULTIVERSE is restored.

And breathe . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Chris S

« Reply #418 on: 17 July, 2018, 12:27:49 pm »
Ned Boulting seems to be gradually morphing into Tony Blackburn.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #419 on: 17 July, 2018, 12:34:07 pm »
And they're off, into the Yalps. Aniseed -> Le Grand Borné.

Baby, we've been here before...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #420 on: 17 July, 2018, 12:54:38 pm »
Just imagining these blokes a couple of weeks from now, after the Tour, when they climb into their cars and drive off, crossing from one side of the road to the other at will and going round roundabouts the wrong way...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #421 on: 17 July, 2018, 01:12:53 pm »
Catching up on the recording.  TV's *** Boulting is clearly made of sterner stuff than TV's S Connolly, as TV's R Gilmore is actually keeping relatively quiet.  And she's only mentioned the Izoard once (so far).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #422 on: 17 July, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »
For an article stamped Lidl, Alaphilippe seems quite serviceable.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #423 on: 17 July, 2018, 04:51:16 pm »
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig gave code-talking oddball M Rendall the finest post-race interview in the history of all things evvah.

« Reply #424 on: 17 July, 2018, 05:58:46 pm »
RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!

Sorrynotsorry...  :D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche