Author Topic: Onyx rear disc hub. Looking for feedback.  (Read 1462 times)

Onyx rear disc hub. Looking for feedback.
« on: 07 December, 2017, 09:06:44 pm »
I'm building up a set of racy carbon bike-packing wheels and looking for feedback on the aforementioned hub. Specifically reliability and ease of repair in the event there is a problem. Anyone own them or used them?
My other options are CK and WI which I have experience of.
Although the onyx is heavier.......its silent. :thumbsup:
often lost.

Re: Onyx rear disc hub. Looking for feedback.
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2017, 10:03:38 pm »
if silence is important to you, be aware of the fact that with a carefully-chosen lubricant inside them, very many hubs can be rendered virtually silent.  Typically a semi-fluid grease in the pawls (eg on WI hubs) will quieten everything up nicely.

The Onyx hubs contain a thing called a sprag clutch which is a close relative of the roller clutch. It may (under very high torque conditions) result in a drive connection that feels slightly spongy. Shimano silentclutch hubs (with a roller clutch mechanism inside) suffered from this; I don't know if Onyx hubs suffer from this drawback or not, because I have not ridden them in very low gear ratios.

There are videos of how to repair their hubs on their website; you can get access to them but I do not think that the sprag clutches can be replaced or seriously fettled at the roadside in the event of any problems.  [By contrast WI hubs can (pathetic grub screws in some models nothwithstanding) can usually be stripped fairly easily.]

I note with interest that Onyx offer a warranty against 'manufacturing defects' being five years on the bits they make, one year on the sprag clutches, and one month ( :o) on the bearings.

I think that any of these hubs may offer good service if you maintain and lubricate them properly (often). CK hubs that have been neglected can be very difficult to take apart without damaging them, and they are not alone.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2017, 10:42:49 pm »
Thanks Brucey,
this starts to ring alarm bells then.
As the wheels will be for bike packing/endurance events that are relatively often off the beaten track, reliability and repairablity are tops.
I had read up on them coming from an MTB background and figured they must therefore be pretty bomb proof.
The silence issue for me is a want (gets draining on a multi day event) but not a need. The upside of the noise is that people hear you approaching without having to shout or use the bell :-)
I'll probably stick with CK and save the weight into the bargain.
often lost.

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »
this is a sectional view of an Onyx hub

unlike some of their other models, this one contains a double-row sprag clutch with rows of different width. Other models contain two sprag rows of similar width.

The other reason for using sprag (or roller, in fact) clutches is if you don't like the (small, with most hubs) amount of lash  before drive is picked up, this is minimised with a sprag clutch.

cheers