Author Topic: Heat resistant 3D printed parts  (Read 3292 times)

Heat resistant 3D printed parts
« on: 13 December, 2017, 01:21:44 pm »
Is it possible to 3D print an item that could withstand the temperature found inside a bread machine?  Typically for bread this would be around 190o but as this item is not directly inside the baking compartment it could well be a touch cooler.

Assuming it can be done would someone who has a 3D printer be willing to print a small part, maximum dimension would be around 15mm?

Assuming someone would be willing what free modelling package could be used to draw said item?

Actually a quick google has found this USA website that offers them in 3D printed stainless steel!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FXW9794HD/panasonic-sd253-breadmaker-dispenser-latch

Thanks

R

Re: Heat resistant 3D printed parts
« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2017, 03:10:12 pm »
We are printing in PLA, which melts at about 180 deg C, so probably no good. ABS has a slightly higher melting point.

Most 3D printers use .stl files.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2017, 08:36:08 pm »
Most printed plastics will get soft way before 100 degrees C
There's a few types of filaments that can do that, but they're finicky and requires severely upgraded printers as they need to extrude at around 390C. For most home-based printers, it's not really feasible.
Shapeways can do it,as they use a laser-sintered printer.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2017, 03:55:18 pm »
There are printers that use a glue and silica approach. This may have a higher heat tolerance than PLA/ABS
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:57:28 am »
We now have our 3D printed stainless steel part for our bread maker and very lovely it is too.  Good service from Shapeways - delivered before they said they could start to make it!!

« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:10:58 pm »
any details, photos etc?

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2018, 04:16:19 pm »
any details, photos etc?

TBH, you couldn't do better than follow the Shapeways link in the original post.  It looks just like the item on the right in photos 2 and 3.  The left hand one is the plastic original which snaps easily across the thinnest part that you can see at the bottom of the latch in photo 3.

R

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2018, 04:57:11 pm »
I'm slightly disappointed that the fourth photo shows a traditional loaf, rather than a 3D printed one.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2018, 06:01:49 pm »
Intriguing.
Have used the same bread maker for donkey's years, had no trouble with the latch. The mix goes in and I use the Knead/Seeds function so the seeds drop in (every time I make bread) then instead of using the breadmaker to cook the bread, it goes into the oven and comes up like a big round loaf. Works a treat. Friends used their cook function but the moment the non-stickness of the bucket starts to go, that way lies DETH because need a knife to get the cooked loaf out, and that action scrapes away a bit more non-stickness, and so on..... then you need a new bucket, and so it's off to eBay for a used one that someone was given as a present and never used.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2018, 07:53:09 pm »
Marvellous! Ordered one.
We've had two of these break - the tray is currently held together with a paperclip.
It's the heat that does for the panasonic part.

(a new tray isn't much more expensive, but it's the principle of the matter!)

« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2018, 12:43:29 am »

interesting; the part is a bit cheaper than I expected, and they probably make them for stock, judging by the number they say they have sold.

cheers

« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2018, 08:54:46 am »
Ordered one.

Glad to be of service!

and they probably make them for stock

I got the impression that each order is a one of process and ordering an existing design is just the same as uploading a new design, but I could be wrong and that would no make sense given the numbers involved.  However the design is from an American woman but the part is shipped from the Netherlands (charged in Euros) so I assume there is a mirror 3D plant there, so the one of scenario could be more likely.

the moment the non-stickness of the bucket starts to go, that way lies DETH because need a knife to get the cooked loaf out, and that action scrapes away a bit more non-stickness, and so on..... then you need a new bucket, and so it's off to eBay for a used one that someone was given as a present and never used.

We bought a complete machine second hand (for pennies) for that reason and were surprised the difference it made.  The latch broke on that as well!