Author Topic: Hit and run - Ipswich  (Read 3495 times)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
Hit and run - Ipswich
« on: 10 January, 2018, 11:39:18 am »
I just found out that a friend of mine was involved in a collision last Sunday (7th Jan.) in Ipswich with a van that failed to stop. The link is here:

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/latest-news/08-01-2018/ipswich-fail-stop-collision-witness-appeal

I think the article doesn't reflect the seriousness of her current state i.e. she has a fractured skull and eye socket plus concussion and is still in hospital, obviously!

She was fortunate, if you can say that, that she was cycling fairly close to the A&E hospital and by chance an ambulance was passing so was able to get her treatment quickly. I just don't understand the mentality of people who drive off after this type of incident. As another friend of mine said if they eventually catch the piece of shit person that they'll probably get off with a warning citing they need their license for work and that would impede their livelihood - let's hope not.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a helmet cam in the vain hope that if something similar happened to me or my friends I'm riding with that the evidence is recorded.

Gibbo.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Hit and run - Ipswich
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:53:00 pm »
Gibbers, a friend of mine has a rear-facing camera built into a rear light. I can't tell which one I'm sorry. Doesn't help with a head-cam I agree, but is providing evidence to assist the police currently bringing a prosecution against the driver who, between exchange of words between my friend and the driver, then forced my friend to come to a stop, an a further exchange of words (with threats) entailed. Luckily for my friend, and independent witness was walking along this section of road and was, I think, using her mobile phone to record the incident.

When later confronted by the police about his actions, the driver refused to accept a caution, and so the police are taking him to court.

My friend made a miscalculation when enter the busy road form a junction, but believes the driver then deliberately sped up to squeeze through the gap between my cyclist friend, and a car waiting to turn at the junction. A punishment pass in other words, which led to the initial exchange of words.

So, get a camera.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2018, 01:03:21 pm »
I like the idea of the rear light camera so will do a bit of digging. Ta.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2018, 01:17:09 pm »
...... catch the piece of shit person that they'll probably get off......

FTFY
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

dim

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »

Cycliq Fly 6 rear camera/light .... they have a new model now:

https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly6ce/

I have the older model and get 6 hrs recording time with the light on .... it does work when connected to a powerbank aswell
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:16:35 pm »

I've been using a Fly6 for about a year after being hit from behind last December. Driver didn't stop and I couldn't give a description of vehicle (because I didn't see it! was lying in the road facing the wrong direction by the time I worked out what happened, watching the following vehicles steer around me)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:26:35 pm »
I just found out that a friend of mine was involved in a collision last Sunday (7th Jan.) in Ipswich with a van that failed to stop. The link is here:

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/latest-news/08-01-2018/ipswich-fail-stop-collision-witness-appeal

I think the article doesn't reflect the seriousness of her current state i.e. she has a fractured skull and eye socket plus concussion and is still in hospital, obviously!

She was fortunate, if you can say that, that she was cycling fairly close to the A&E hospital and by chance an ambulance was passing so was able to get her treatment quickly. I just don't understand the mentality of people who drive off after this type of incident. As another friend of mine said if they eventually catch the piece of shit person that they'll probably get off with a warning citing they need their license for work and that would impede their livelihood - let's hope not.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a helmet cam in the vain hope that if something similar happened to me or my friends I'm riding with that the evidence is recorded.

Gibbo.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:27:49 pm »

Didn't lidl or aldi sell one?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:29:37 pm »
Hope that your friend heals quickly.

You are right on what will happen to the shit, which I know to be awful.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2018, 04:19:43 pm »

Didn't lidl or aldi sell one?

Aldi did one at some point in autumn 2017, it is pretty much a direct copy of the original Fly6, albeit with a slightly updated spec. I currently have one on the back of my main commuting bike, it easily manages 6 hours on one charge, although I have replaced the 8Gb card included with the camera with one of 32Gb for more recording space.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:03:04 am »
...... catch the piece of shit person that they'll probably get off......

FTFY

LOL. Thanks.

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2018, 08:12:29 am »

I have the older model and get 6 hrs recording time with the light on .... it does work when connected to a powerbank aswell

Thanks for this, dim. I did a bit of searching yesterday and the Cycliq one came up. What's not clear to me is just how you use it. i.e. start the camera when you start your ride and go until it runs out of space, if indeed it does? Does it loop continuously so carries on recording regardless until the battery dies? Just wondering because some of my rides are much longer than the 120mins recording time I worked out - see below.

If it's the former then based on a quick calc using the figures in the spec (10 minutes or around 650MB/ 8GB microSD) one could expect to record for ~120mins but this doesn't tie up with your 6 hrs recording time...

dim

« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2018, 09:39:14 am »

Thanks for this, dim. I did a bit of searching yesterday and the Cycliq one came up. What's not clear to me is just how you use it. i.e. start the camera when you start your ride and go until it runs out of space, if indeed it does? Does it loop continuously so carries on recording regardless until the battery dies? Just wondering because some of my rides are much longer than the 120mins recording time I worked out - see below.

If it's the former then based on a quick calc using the figures in the spec (10 minutes or around 650MB/ 8GB microSD) one could expect to record for ~120mins but this doesn't tie up with your 6 hrs recording time...

this is how I understand it....

You start the recording when you start the ride and it records until the card is full, then it overwrites from the beginning again ... It comes supplied with an 8GB card, but you can replace that with a 32GB card (I have a front camera ... Garmin Virb Ultra 30 and I have a 128 GB card which allows 17 hrs of recording before it starts overwriting)

However, the Cyliq Fly 6 has an added bonus .... if you are involved in an accident, it has Black box incident protection and it will not overwrite any footage
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2018, 12:50:01 pm »

this is how I understand it....

You start the recording when you start the ride and it records until the card is full, then it overwrites from the beginning again ... It comes supplied with an 8GB card, but you can replace that with a 32GB card (I have a front camera ... Garmin Virb Ultra 30 and I have a 128 GB card which allows 17 hrs of recording before it starts overwriting)

However, the Cyliq Fly 6 has an added bonus .... if you are involved in an accident, it has Black box incident protection and it will not overwrite any footage

Thanks for that. Good review  ;)

« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2018, 01:07:07 pm »
Hope your friend recovers quickly Gibbo. I live and cycle in Ipswich and driving standards round here are appalling.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2018, 01:37:02 pm »
Hope your friend recovers quickly Gibbo. I live and cycle in Ipswich and driving standards round here are appalling.

Thanks, just heard she may coming home from hospital either today or tomorrow. I've not heard anything with respect to the driver though.

I personally don't think the Ipswich area is too bad (I'm in Hadleigh), there are exceptions of course and I'm judging that against riding in/ around Bishops Stortford where I do the occasional commute/ lunchtime ride and find the drivers there, on the whole, much more aggressive and less inclined to give you room or give way etc. Not always though, I had one guy stop and wind down his window whilst I was waiting on the roundabout that goes over the M11 there, I thought here we go another exchange of polar opinions and I'm going to have to justify my existence again but he said "you're a long way from home!" (I had my Sudbury CC top on) he wished me luck and off we went.

« Reply #16 on: 12 January, 2018, 01:57:30 pm »

Thanks, just heard she may coming home from hospital either today or tomorrow. I've not heard anything with respect to the driver though.

I personally don't think the Ipswich area is too bad (I'm in Hadleigh), there are exceptions of course and I'm judging that against riding in/ around Bishops Stortford where I do the occasional commute/ lunchtime ride and find the drivers there, on the whole, much more aggressive and less inclined to give you room or give way etc. Not always though, I had one guy stop and wind down his window whilst I was waiting on the roundabout that goes over the M11 there, I thought here we go another exchange of polar opinions and I'm going to have to justify my existence again but he said "you're a long way from home!" (I had my Sudbury CC top on) he wished me luck and off we went.

I live in Bishop's Stortford, and don't think its any different to other locations in Essex or Suffolk. Very easy to get onto quiet country lanes in any direction, where driving standards are generally good.

The M11 junction does take good nerves, and holding position in the centre of a lane for the most part. I too had an incident there a few months back when a driver wound down his window as I waited at some lights. He was just asking where I was heading, and we had a pleasant exchange of words when he found out I was going a bit further than he was expecting.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

gibbo

• Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #17 on: 12 January, 2018, 01:59:33 pm »

I live in Bishop's Stortford, and don't think its any different to other locations in Essex or Suffolk. Very easy to get onto quiet country lanes in any direction, where driving standards are generally good.

The M11 junction does take good nerves, and holding position in the centre of a lane for the most part. I too had an incident there a few months back when a driver wound down his window as I waited at some lights. He was just asking where I was heading, and we had a pleasant exchange of words when he found out I was going a bit further than he was expecting.

Might have been the same guy  ;)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18 on: 12 January, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »
Hope your friend recovers quickly Gibbo. I live and cycle in Ipswich the UK and driving standards round here are appalling.

FTFY
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.