Author Topic: Inverness Railway Station  (Read 3184 times)

essexian

Inverness Railway Station
« on: 27 January, 2018, 10:08:02 am »
Hi

I have searched t'internet but can't find anything up to date so I thought I would try here as this forum is a great font of knowledge ;D

So, my question about Inverness Railway station is, does it have storage lockers or a staffed left luggage place? I ask as I need to drop off a bike bag which is quite large (130cm). National Rail seems to imply that there is a left luggage place, whereas Tripadvisor says its lockers.

Finally, anywhere nice, cheap and veggie to eat there on a Saturday evening?

Many thanks

Ian

Re: Inverness Railway Station
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:44:07 am »
National Rail Enquiries says no left luggage facility.  ISTR that on our last trip I stood shivering in the station awaiting mllePB and attending to two loaded tourers whilst she went foraging for victuals before catching the sleeper.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2018, 10:59:24 am »
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations-and-destinations/stations-made-easy/inverness-station-plan?rtnloc=inv

That implies that there is a facility. I have spent quite a bit of time there (especially at Bertie's Bar) but can't say I've noticed the left luggage facility. But that map says it's there.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/HotspotDetails.aspx?StdCode=SME_INV&HotspotId=42040

And that's what it looks like apparently.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2018, 11:24:04 am »
I don't know how old that is Wow but I don't recall it from our last trip. 

Edit:

Thinking about it ISTR that there were building works happening in that area of the station.  This was March 2017.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2018, 12:37:57 pm »
I used the left luggage in 2011. It was a set of coin operated lockers off to the left before you got to the platforms IIRC. I didn't look the last time I went through though so things may have changed.

[edit] It looks like they were still there in summer 2016: -
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186543-i626-k9441132-Luggage_Storage_available_at_Inverness_Train_Station-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html (see post 10 onwards)[/edit]
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2018, 12:53:59 pm »
Yes, there is some sort of left luggage, but not checked what is actually inside. Don't know if its just lockers.
If you are going on the sleeper, they have a separate lounge across the road, might be helpful.

Bertie's Bar isn't there any more, it has now been rebranded as Ness and Thistle.

Finally, anywhere nice, cheap and veggie to eat there on a Saturday evening?
Pizza Express is next door to the station. Maybe cheap if you can find some vouchers. They have some outdoor seating, so you could keep an eye on your bike.

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2018, 02:18:59 pm »
Top touring tip - instead of stumping up for left luggage, find a supermarket with a cafe and use one of those trolley lockers for shoppers eating at the cafe.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2018, 02:47:29 pm »
Top touring tip - instead of stumping up for left luggage, find a supermarket with a cafe and use one of those trolley lockers for shoppers eating at the cafe.

Good tip.  I've used that to good effect a few times to solve the what-do-you-do-with-all-your-stuff solo cycle tourist urban loo break problem.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2018, 02:57:37 pm »
It is. I like that :)

In the case of Inverness, there's a Morrison's only about half a mile from the Station entrance

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2018, 03:02:44 pm »
There is. They wouldn't sell me beer at 10am though. I think that is a peculiarly Scottish thing though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2018, 03:48:18 pm »
Certainly 5 years ago there was a large set of lockers just to the left of the platform cafe. The lockers were very deep also. Ended up with two people's kit for threes week supported end to end in one locker.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2018, 04:13:14 pm »
THREAD HIJACK

I was thinking of a bit of Scottish touring this summer - starting at Inverness, thence to Oban and catch the ferry to Islay for the Ride of the Falling Rain.  Can't decide what to do after that though, it's either ride back across the south west of Scotland to my folks at Kirkby Stephen, or head across to the East Coast to then catch a train back down to Peterborough and ride home from there.

Anyone have any experience of either of those options?  Of course it also depends on the method I use to get to Inverness in the first place - either train up or leave the car at said parents.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2018, 04:22:54 pm »
I'd go for the West coast approach. You can get a ferry from Islay to Kennacraig on Kintyre, and then you have the choice of coming back round the Cowal Peninsula (Portavadie ferry) and along Bute to Wemyss Bay, or a for a more direct route the ferry over to Lochranza on Arran and then on to Ardrossan from the other side of the island.

From there you can pick up NCN 7 (Loch & Glens South) which goes through Ayr down to Glentrool and Kirkcudbright before turning East and going to Dumfries and Carlisle. I'd imagine you know your way back your parents' from there :)

I've ridden the L&G South and I liked all of it but the section you'd miss through Glasgow. I've also ridden round Arran, On Bute, the Cowal and Kintail Peninsulas and they are all good rural cycling.

I'd recommend you have a play on the Calmac site - https://www.calmac.co.uk

ElyDave

« Reply #14 on: 27 January, 2018, 05:58:54 pm »
cheers, yes I've already had a look at Calmac, the first task is to work out which timetable you actually want, there's about 30 of them.

Plan is vaguely,
- get to Inverness
- Ride to Oban, overnight there
- ferry(s) to islay, pootle around a day or so visiting distilleries
- ROTFR
- depart, 2 or 3 days back to Cumbria (need to check distances)

« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2018, 09:12:07 pm »

May not work for those of us lucky enough to ride 60+ cm frames and/or wide bars; at least not without dropping the saddle and/or removing the front wheel. (DAHIKT)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 27 January, 2018, 09:18:54 pm »

May not work for those of us lucky enough to ride 60+ cm frames and/or wide bars; at least not without dropping the saddle and/or removing the front wheel. (DAHIKT)

Nahh, the bike goes on the Sheffield stand outside with a lock.  Everything else goes in a trolley, and hence to the locker.  Means you're not leaving your worldly possessions unattended outside a horriblemarket, but also not trying to carry them into a toilet cubicle that's already full to capacity with a toilet, bogroll dispenser and sanitary bin, or through a cafe while balancing a tray.

« Reply #17 on: 27 January, 2018, 09:29:14 pm »
Ah, right, that makes sense - I think I ended up trying to get my bike into one because I only had a cafe lock with me and there wasn't anywhere safe-enough looking to lock it up outside. In the end I asked the customer service people if I could leave it next to their desk while I used the facilities and grabbed a takeaway cuppa, then sat outside on a bench.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 27 January, 2018, 09:33:24 pm »
Another proven strategy, when it works.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #19 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:10:34 am »
There were definitely large left luggage lockers at Inverness in 2016, we got 2 suitcases into one of them.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

essexian

« Reply #20 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:45:09 am »
Thanks all.

Just one further question, has anyone used the sleeper to get to Scotland? My question is about taking my bike on board. I have a space going up, but coming back it has to go in a van.

Having looked on the company's website, they seem to say that they provide a bag to put the bike in? Has anyone used this service and their bag and if so, was it okay? I have a bike bag which is padded I could use but frankly, its a bit of a faff taking it up there if its not really needed.

ElyDave

« Reply #21 on: 30 January, 2018, 04:50:49 pm »
will you have a compartment?  Can't the bike go in there?

« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2018, 05:02:10 pm »
I've used the van to return on a couple of occasions now. The van driver said they didn't use the bags but used them for packing / protecting the bike during transit. The website states that they do not carry any panniers, but they did readily for me when asked. Collection from the Euston end was also slick.

The only problem I did have was when the train broke down outside Inverness but my bike carried on south in the van. It would appear that they have nowhere to deliver them to at Euston, but we're OK to deliver everything to my neighbour's house.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #23 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:35:52 pm »
Left luggage at the bus station, don't know about the railway station. It's expensive tho'.

essexian

« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2018, 01:03:22 pm »
Thanks for the info. I think I will not bother with my bike bag if its not needed.

Just checked the route again today.... I better get some climbing practice in!  ;D