Author Topic: MAMIL - The Movie  (Read 2526 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
MAMIL - The Movie
« on: 05 February, 2018, 04:21:45 pm »
If this link had come from anyone other than Carlton Reid and BikeBiz I would have had some difficulty suspending disbelief.

Given that the narration is by Phil Liggett, I might still have anyway...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: MAMIL - The Movie
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2018, 04:29:30 pm »
I'm disappointed this isn't an Audax Club Mid Essex production.

« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2018, 04:37:38 pm »
I'm disappointed this isn't an Audax Club Mid Essex production.

That sounds like the sort of challenge that will inspire Oscar's Dad, given that he is looking to expand his repertoire of cycling-themed activities. 

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2018, 07:27:58 pm »
Wot no Sasha Baren Cohen?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2018, 07:35:14 pm »
NO. It's MAMILs - not Hummers in a mankini.

AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! 

MIND BLEACH!!!!!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2018, 08:45:38 am »
**strokes chin and wonders how much said film is going to encourage Middle Aged Mums In Leggings/jeans/other-normal-clothes to cycle more**
or whether it might reinforce stereotypes
etc
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:12:33 am »
Having suffered that trailer I'm thinking that it's going to deter some men with it's satirical body shaming.   Nothing there about the beneficial health aspects of cycling.

Perhaps it's really a secret tool of the motor industry who want more mid life crisis car purchases.

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:22:52 am »
There was some discussion/piss-taking of the trailer in Another Place; from what I remember of watching it it seems unlikely to increase non-sporting cycling a jot. It looked like it might be interesting, though; many of the trailer clips were extolling the kind of suffering-sportivist self-aggrandisement that makes MAMILs such an easy target for ridicule, but there were also some more reflective voices, talking about the appeal of cycling in ways that made me think there might well be more to it than at first sight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:56:54 am »
Look at those jerseys: Carrera! Panasonic! Let's do it like it's 1986, yeah baby!

Bird said: “I know the world of the MAMIL intimately and was driven to explore this world on film and explore the reasons why middle-aged men are taking up cycling in such numbers. As we explored the idea we quickly saw that a documentary about MAMILs would give us the chance to explore topics like masculinity, men’s health issues, how men support each other, and how minority groups and women fit into this world.”

The UK premiere will be screened at the Odeon in Bath on Monday, 26th February at 7.15pm. There will also be a trade screening of the film at iceBike* which takes place at Arena:MK in Milton Keynes on 20-22 February.

MAMIL will then be screen in selected cinemas throughout Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.

The acronym MAMIL was coined in 2010 by Michael Oliver for a research report he compiled for MINTEL.
Sounds like a job for Grayson Perry (possibly the only serious aspect here).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 06 February, 2018, 04:04:19 pm »
**strokes chin and wonders how much said film is going to encourage Middle Aged Mums In Leggings/jeans/other-normal-clothes to cycle more**
or whether it might reinforce stereotypes
etc

The trailer seemed to suggest it was a reasonably sympathetic view of the diversity(!) within the target demographic of middle aged white men who enjoy riding bikes as a sporting / social activity.  As such it might break down a few stereotypes of that group, in as much as anyone who isn't a Cyclist is going to watch it in the first place.

I doubt it'll do anything to encourage anyone else to ride a bike, but then neither would that film about Graeme Obree trying to break the HPV record, or that excellent play about the life of Beryl Burton.  http://bicyclethefilm.com/ was pleasingly inclusive, and much more encouraging, but it was about a different subject.

Personally, I reckon anything that's about ordinary people cycling (for whatever reason) makes a refreshing change from yet another sports star biography.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2018, 07:29:05 pm »
Decided what you think about Mamil - The Movie?

Then how-about a new challenge - what the heck is this film trying to say: https://www.hbo.com/content/hboweb/en/specials/tour-de-pharmacy/synopsis.html

About Tour de Pharmacy

In 1982, during a dark and fictitious time in cycling history, the sport’s most venerable, time-honored race was marred by the doping of virtually all of its competitors. Riddled with nefarious characters, that year’s competition was a hornet’s nest of moral depravity. Through the perspective of five riders, Tour de Pharmacy gives an inside look into the grim realities of the darkest event in a sport notoriously tainted by controversy.
Starring and executive produced by Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, 7 Days In Hell), and written and executive produced by Murray Miller (King of the Hill; Girls), Tour de Pharmacy, a fictional, none-too-serious look at the Tour de France.
Among the notables making appearances in Tour de Pharmacy are John Cena, Daveed Diggs, Orlando Bloom, Freddie Highmore, Jeff Goldblum, Danny Glover, Julia Ormond, Dolph Lundgren, James Marsden, Kevin Bacon, Nathan Fielder, Will Forte, Maya Rudolph, Joe Buck, Mike Tyson, J.J. Abrams, Phylicia Rashad, Chris Webber, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, and others [including a Lance Armstrong - Matt ].

trailer here
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles