Author Topic: back in action mobiliser system - effectiveness?  (Read 1753 times)

back in action mobiliser system - effectiveness?
« on: 25 February, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »
Mrs Bolt is currently being passed from pillar to post in pursuit of pain relief following a MRI that revealed an annular tear and multiple disc bulges in her spine.  Last week she had a 15 minute session at her yoga class on one of these https://www.backinaction.co.uk/downloads/The_Mobiliser_System.pdf

Initial signs are that it seems to be very effective in that she's experienced a significant reduction in pain and improvement in her range of movement.  The endorsements for this device quoted by back in action seem sketchy and I wondered if anyone has any experience of this treatment?
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Re: back in action mobiliser system - effectiveness?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2018, 06:16:37 pm »
I've not used one, nor am I a doctor. I have been on several devices in my life (in hospital) and undergone quite a few different types of treatment.

It looks to me like it gives complete support to your body then massages and moves your spine whilst supporting you. That's unlikely to do any harm. Six weeks of that is going to help most people who have issues (barring slipped discs and actual fractures). I think the machine will probably help overcome spasms and speed healing (massage encourages bloodflow which always helps with healing)

Trying to replicate the same result through exercise at home would be difficult - requiring quite a lot of experience (I think I could do it to myself but I shudder to think what I've spend on physio, alexander technique plus time spent in hospital over 40 years of treatment for spine pain).

Trouble is, bulging discs can be minor or serious and extremely painful (or start to cut off blood supplies, press on nerves and be disabling). I wouldn't trust most massage therapists, yoga teachers or pilates people near me if I had Mrs Bolt's problems (and never a chiropractor).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: back in action mobiliser system - effectiveness?
« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2018, 07:33:06 pm »
I have one. It does what it says on the tin. It mobilises the spine.

It does this in two ways.

Gentle ish flexing of the spine by the two rollers. This may remove pressure on trapped nerves.

The massaging effect of the rollers gradually retrains the back muscles to a neutral  state thus removing the acquired stresses and imbalances from previous injuries. Again this may remove pressure on damaged areas.

I hope that helps.

Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.