Author Topic: Old Buggers' Walking Trip to the Chilterns - 6th - 9th April  (Read 4638 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Old Buggers' Walking Trip to the Chilterns - 6th - 9th April
« on: 05 March, 2018, 08:14:46 pm »
As per the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path thread. You don't have to be old and you don't have to be a bugger.

Loadsabikes and I are planning a walking weekend in the Chilterns, to test our kit and ourselves. Here's a route:-

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://peter.chesspod.com/routes/wendoverwalk.gpx

I am planning to get a return ticket to Aylesbury (to keep costs down) on a Friday but get out at Wendover. I'll walk to the Corner Farm Campsite for the first night, the Bella Vista campsite for the second night and to the White Mark Farm campsite on the third night before walking to Princes Risborough station for the train home on the Monday. The total distance is about 32 miles but Wendover is only about 3 miles from the route so that anyone wishing to come out of London on the Saturday morning could easily meet us (Wendover is 48 minutes out of Marylebone). Thereafter, it's about 10 miles a day.

Company would be welcome. If anyone fancied turning it into a cycling weekend as well, feel free - but you would have to plot your own routes!

We haven't yet specified a date but probably in April. My preference is to keep it fairly flexible: hope for some decent weather but if the forecast for the weekend in question is really crap, then leave it a week. April can, of course, be really unreliable, with snow, 25°C or anything in between. I'll suggest a date when Simon and I have had further discussions - I know he is unlikely to be able to make a Friday night but hopes to be able manage an early start on a Saturday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Old Buggers' Walking Trip to the Chilterns - date to be decided
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:26:18 pm »
Confuzzled. You say weekend but it seems like four days? You say you'll get out at Wendover but the route you've given starts at Tring?  ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:29:06 pm »
Confuzzled. You say weekend but it seems like four days? You say you'll get out at Wendover but the route you've given starts at Tring?  ???

I suppose you've got to expect this sort of thing when old buggers do the planning.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:32:09 pm »
Come April a weekend can be up to 7 days for me!

Yes, I have selected the wrong route. Will correct. That was an initital attempt.

Edit:

That works now!

Regarding the length of the weekend, joining on the Saturday is catered for. I must admit I naively expected there to be a bus service between Watlington and Princes Risborough. Well, there is, but it takes 2 hours and 34 minutes and goes via Oxford - a journey that ought to be 10 miles.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://peter.chesspod.com/routes/bellavistawalk.gpx

Here's a walk of about 7 miles from the Bellavista Campsite to Princes Risborough station for the Workers of the World.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »
Come April a weekend can be up to 7 days for me!

Yes, I have selected the wrong route. Will correct. That was an intital attempt.
But then you have to fit all of Monday-Friday into one midnight!

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2018, 10:38:30 pm »
6th/9th works for me. Who's in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Re: Old Buggers' Walking Trip to the Chilterns - 6th - 9th April
« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2018, 11:53:06 pm »
Thread title amended accordingly!

« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2018, 09:19:51 am »
Sounds fun. I'll ask clarion. If we join you, we'll cycle because the duck walks at one mile per hour or less, due to dancing, trees to climb, hills, leaves, mud, flowers, birds, animals, sticks, stones and general stuff to look at.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2018, 09:25:08 am »
Sounds fun. I'll ask clarion. If we join you, we'll cycle because the duck walks at one mile per hour or less, due to dancing, trees to climb, hills, leaves, mud, flowers, birds, animals, sticks, stones and general stuff to look at.
I like the Duck's approach to walking.

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2018, 09:33:06 am »
I can't get the train to stop at Wendover! I plug in Prittlewell to Aylesbury, 1000hrs start time, and it goes through Princes Risborough which is the wrong end of the walk. How do you get out at Wendover?   ???

ETA: I've got it now, a later train from Marylebone, 1227, stops at Wendover.
Do I need to get an Oyster card for the Underground?

ETA: No I don't need an Oyster card.

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:44:02 am »
What time does your train arrive at Wendover Wow?
I will be driving and plan to find somewhere to leave the car in Wendover.
I can then complete the circle on Monday to retrieve it.
Come on Canardly, you know you want to, I can lend you a rucsac.
What about a certain retired Polar Bear?

« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2018, 02:01:02 pm »
... What about a certain retired Polar Bear?

I am following proceedings and considering joining in.  I can borrow an Akto and have most of everything else that I'd need.   Getting to / from the event is not totally straightforward on the trains though not impossible.

« Reply #12 on: 06 March, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »
PB, I probably cannot help with getting to the venue because I will be driving from Whiltshire. But, on the Monday, I shall be returning to Rugby if that helps :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 06 March, 2018, 02:50:52 pm »
PB, I probably cannot help with getting to the venue because I will be driving from Whiltshire. But, on the Monday, I shall be returning to Rugby if that helps :thumbsup:

No.  It doesn't help at all if you see what I mean.   ;)

OK.  I'll give it thought.  Thanks.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: 06 March, 2018, 02:55:38 pm »
You know you want to ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:58:58 pm »
I reckon a good bet for Del & me is to get the 11.32 from Prittlewell and the 13.27 from Marylebone. That arrives in Wendover at 14.26.

How does that fit in with your plans, Simon?

« Reply #16 on: 06 March, 2018, 05:07:03 pm »
That sounds pretty doable to me. I should be able to make it to meet at Wendover station.

« Reply #17 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:28:47 pm »
This is on the Friday, right?   I too could get to Wendover should I decide to throw my hat in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:16:07 pm »
Friday start but it's only about 3 miles from Wendover to the first campsite.

« Reply #19 on: 07 March, 2018, 09:31:34 am »
My feet are not up to walking distances atm due to Metatarsal issues (pebble in the shoe) and therefore sore feet. Cycling is ok.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: 07 March, 2018, 09:40:50 am »
Bring the bicycle Bob and don't forget the lowriders.   ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 07 March, 2018, 05:41:00 pm »
I've been out today.

A rather vigorous walk in glorious sunshine and even more glorious mud.

I parked the car on Belton Way and then walked through very wet fields, testing my boots' waterproofness, and they passed with flying colours. Up the hill to Hadleigh Castle, but I didn't go in. I could see that the path beyond the gate that I would normally use had been fenced off. It's a few years since we have gone that way with the dog because he's too old for such long walks, and I had forgotten how treacherously steep that path is, and how muddy it can get. I doubt it would have been passable in current conditions.

To my surprise there was still quite a bit of snow lying even though the temperature has been well above freezing for 4 or 5 days. After I had circumnavigated the castle I decided to ignore some "Private Road" signs (all this land belongs to the Sally Army and I can't think that such a Christian bunch would want to lay up treasures on earth) and had a lovely walk along the top of the ridge toward Tattershall Gardens, the first and last road in Southend Borough, thinking that there would probably be a way through, but I couldn't find one. There was a fence that I didn't fancy my chances of climbing and when I espied a young woman in one of the gardens (several of those gardens had completely dispensed with a barrier, allowing a wonderful view across the castle and up to the container port near Stanford-le-Hope, and beyond). I asked her if it was possible to get back to Leigh Station that way, and her neighbour came to my rescue, allowing me through his garden and garage, thereby saving me from having to retrace my steps and go the long way round.

I don't know anywhere else I have ever been that does mud quite as well as Essex. The clay-based soil, when saturated, has a wonderful way of sticking to your boots and gradually spreading, so as you walk along you have a massive thick dinner-plate sized disc of clay attached to the sole of each boot. As you continue to walk, every so often a lump of clay weighing about 3kg drops off one boot or another, making walking an interesting experience to say the least.

« Reply #22 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:19:58 pm »
If this weather doesn't buck up, I shall be digging out the winter camping kit!

« Reply #23 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:34:07 pm »
Due to other commitments I will not be joining you chaps.   Sorry.

« Reply #24 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:48:00 pm »
That's a pity, you will just have to join us on the main event! ;)