Author Topic: Recumbent bike - different width wheels any advantage?  (Read 1846 times)

Recumbent bike - different width wheels any advantage?
« on: 08 May, 2018, 08:23:23 am »
I bought a streetmachine secondhand that came with a funny wheel that had a tyre at 32mm iirc possibly 28mm but a rear at 38mm possibly 35mm. Whatever the figures are they're clearly different.

Is there an advantage in that?

Use is touring and leisure rides with the family (plus blasts for pure fun if I ever get out on my own). I'm used to a road bike that uses 32mm on both wheels in summer but 38mm in winter or when taken off road (it's a kind of gravel bike and I don't own a mtb so why not if my skills are OK). If it was a normal, upright touring bike I'd just put on 32mm then 35 or 38mm for summer tours. This bike has full suspension so might not need fatter tyres. Plus it's a recumbent. I don't know enough about them to decide if different width tyres are a benefit or personal choice. Since they're different sizes there's no advantage due to front and rear being the same so it's not cheaper to use the same width front and rear.

Any views or facts on this?

PS what width tyres are best for a touring streetmachine in your opinion?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Recumbent bike - different width wheels any advantage?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:56:22 pm »
Mine came shod with 40mm Marathons front and rear, with mudguards to suit, and I've seen no reason to change to anything else[1]: I might get a puncture a year, and they come on and off the rims without drama.  They've got enough tread pattern to cope reasonably well with the type of unsurfaced paths that you might sanely ride a recumbent tourer on.  In combination with the suspension, they're pretty much immune to badly maintained roads (just watch out for tramlining).  They're relatively heavy, but it's a Panzerrad touring bike with a lardy rider, and I have much better candiates for weight-weenieing.

(My DF touringised (rigid) hybrid is shod with 40mm Marathon Duremes[2], for broadly similar reasons.  I reckon 32-40mm is about right for a touring bike that can be expected to do some mild off-road occasionally.)

In comparison, I have an Optima Baron low-racer (no suspension) for going fast[3] on, especially when corners are involved.  I've got 28mm slick tyres on that, and the ride is often what I'd describe as "brain-rattling".  It's a joy to ride when the road surface is decent, though.

We've tried several different tyres on barakta's ICE Sprint (tadpole trike, 20" wheels, rear suspension only).  It's currently wearing 50mm Big Apples on the front (because lunar road surfaces) and a 35mm Marathon Plus on the back (because hub motor means removing the wheel is a faff).  We've also tried 35mm Marathon Pluses all round (hard work without a motor, very harsh ride, admirably low puncture rate) and 35mm Kojaks all round (much faster rolling, makes the handling a bit more dynamic, reasonably comfortable ride if you find the sweet spot for pressure, no grip whatsoever on mud).

Tyres are a bigger deal on trikes, because they have more of them to slow you down, you can't always avoid all the sharp stuff and potholes, and you're being rattled in two different axes.  I don't think there's anything particularly special about the tyre requirements of recumbents, other than the more exotic wheel sizes, and that suspension means you can do the Moulton thing of running a wide tyre at relatively high pressure for reduced rolling resistance.

[1] They changed the design of Marathons a couple of years ago, so the tyres themselves have evolved to be slightly faster-rolling and a bit less grippy on slimy tarmac, which I'm not overly thrilled with.
[2] They were cheap at PlanetX.  Width is an improvement on the 28mm Marathons they replaced, no punctures so far, rolling resistance seems underwhelming.
[3] Faster on average, and when cruising on the flat.  While it's less aerodynamic, the Streetmachine easily wins on maximum downhill speed, because the immunity to crap road surfaces fends off TEH FEAR

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2018, 02:50:05 pm »
my S40 similarly a fast tourer - 28mm GP4Seasons, will cope with light COR in the dry, struggled on the farmyard section of the Woodman once the mud got above the tyre and I simply lost traction - FWD restarts on slippy stuff not easy.  It's a breeze on good roads, a bit "brain-rattling" in the Fens, but the ventisit reduces that somewhat.   Frame seems to have a degree of flex that absorbs more rounded defects and throws them back at you as general skittishness.

Tyres not worn enough to replace yet. but once they are I may go up to 32s, I think the frame will take it.

M5 - 700x28C on the back, won't fit anything bigger. 26" front wheel with a 40mm Marathon of some description (Racer I think). 26" wheel to give some semblance of forward visibility, wider rim hence wider tyre. Absolutely no frame flex is somewhat spine numbing on any crevices deeper than the average manhole cover, hence comedy pothole avoidance.  Have bought but not yet tried a ventisit
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:07:14 pm »
I've been riding on 42mm Marathon Supreme's for a while now and have found them to be pretty much the perfect all round  tyre for a touring bent.

Similar to Kim I've also got a couple of pairs of Dureme's, 559x50 on both the Thorn tandem and my old Trek mtb. They are wonderful, I'd happily use them on the bent were it not for the fact that it won't take a 50mm tyre without losing the mudguards.

I tried 40mm Rubino Pro's on the bent last year but found them to be no quicker than the Supreme's but much, much more puncture prone.  Shame really because my experience of 28mm Rubino Pro's on the road bike was much more positive.

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2018, 06:20:33 am »
It is the same as any other bike.

The tyre size will alter the comfort of the ride, and grip /speed on the road.

With the Street Machine's suspension this is less important than an unsuspended machine

« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2018, 08:41:51 am »
But why two different width tyres? Any advantage? Any reason? I can put any size up to about 40mm but why not the same width?

I think I'll use a variant of marathons on it. I'm just wondering if I should increase the width of my front tyre. There's currently marathons on it, some kind of city Racer or something named like that. Not supremes but I'm guessing a more urban / faster rolling version of marathon tyres. I can only remember they have marathon in the name. Not as much tread to them as my pluses or compared to base marathons.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2018, 12:08:31 pm »
But why two different width tyres? Any advantage? Any reason? I can put any size up to about 40mm but why not the same width?

Could be as simple as what the previous owner had in the shed.

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2018, 12:32:24 pm »
True enough. I have read some claiming benefit with different front and rear tyres on uprights.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2018, 12:52:17 pm »
True enough. I have read some claiming benefit with different front and rear tyres on uprights.

Common enough on mountain bikes, where it can make sense to put a grippy tyre on the front and a faster-rolling one on the back.

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2018, 01:56:56 pm »
All it's doing for my recumbent is making the front end slippy on grass. Riding along a canal towpath I sometimes ride a little off path on grass to avoid pedestrians, dogs, etc. Or just to avoid a sleeping policeman bump before bridges. It seems to squirrel around at the front. On my upright that's usually inadequate grip such as when I'm riding off road on Vittoria hypers in 32mm on my upright.

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2018, 05:24:26 pm »

If the weight distribution is not 50/50 then a wider tyre on the rear might make sense as a larger air volume will help take the weight.

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2018, 07:56:43 pm »
I use different tyres front/back on my trike because I want different properties front/back.
Front:- Fast & light for maximum speed, not really bothered by punctures because they are so easy to fix due to not needing to remove the wheel.
Back:- Puncture protection & hard wearing, back punctures are a lot harder to fix due to the IHG and I tend to wear the back tyre out early due to wheel spin on hills.
So fronts are 42-406 supremes and back is a 50-406 BA.

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2018, 11:51:52 am »
The only error I made was with snow tyres

Bought a Schwalbe Marathon Winter for the rear and it worked well......

Until I came to a downhill and discovered that braking was a little dodgy.

Adding Marathon Winters to the front wheels made a massive difference to steering and braking