Author Topic: Midges in Scotland – night time?  (Read 8575 times)

Midges in Scotland – night time?
« on: 21 May, 2018, 10:12:30 pm »
I'm planning an audax-style trip along the west coast in late June.  I'm a bit worried about midges :(

Since I'm trying to stick to an audax schedule, I'll be stopping for sleep probably between 1am and 4am.  What is the midge situation like at this time of day night?  Will I need a net for my bivvy bag?  All the information I've found says the evenings are the worst, but does it get any better overnight?

I'm hoping that I will survive during the day by virtue of Avon Skin So Soft and by keeping moving at all times!  Or am I doomed?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Midges in Scotland – night time?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2018, 11:44:08 pm »
In my experience they are at their worst around dawn and dusk, although I have also read of them being really bad after heavy rain. We had a holiday badly affected b them in May a few years ago, on Mull. We were wild-camping at Loch Buie and Jan had to answer a 5am call of nature and was eaten alive. Her histamine reaction was so bad it set her asthma off and she has been on inhalers ever since.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2018, 12:22:06 am »
There are midges out now, which is earlier than normal.

Fewer out in the dark, so you should be ok

Skin so soft has changed, as I understand it, try Smidge. Or nets. Or stay away 😹
It is simpler than it looks.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2018, 12:31:34 am »
In June dusk is about midnight, and dawn is 4am. So there could be midgies around then.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2018, 03:11:00 pm »
As you will know, Mr Zak, I have done several rides through the night(s) in the Northern Wastes Bonny Midgeland. The July rides were better than the solstice one, but I suspect location/weather makes more difference than anything.

basically, you're in trouble except when you're moving. (or if you're very lucky). I've certainly been bitten at all hours. The Book of the Bivvy (which you're welcome to borrow) suggests using nets IIRC, but better still sleep above 2000' !!! (which he seems to think is the whole point of bivvy-ing in Scotchland.

I found I avoided bites when I *religiously* applied Jungle Lotion ( the stuff from Boots with DDT in it). It depends a lot on your body chemistry, and other potions/balms are available. I really hate flies, and react pretty badly when I do get bitten :( Anti-histamine tablets are very much on my list of essentials.

We were wild-camping at Loch Buie and Jan had to answer a 5am call of nature and was eaten alive. Her histamine reaction was so bad it set her asthma off and she has been on inhalers ever since.
Crikey  :o
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2018, 03:21:47 pm »
I assume you mean DEET not DDT and Jungle Formula not Jungle Lotion  ;)
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »

I found I avoided bites when I *religiously* applied Jungle Lotion ( the stuff from Boots with DDT in it).

FTR, it's DEET, not DDT.

Lifesystems do an excellent range of repellents, I really like their 50%deet one, they also do a non-deet one which is fine for most UK uses. https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents

I note that they also do a DEET free specific midge repellent, no idea how effective it is https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents/midge-deet-free-repellent

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2018, 03:29:33 pm »
You might be interested in...

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

Clearly they have an interest and have been known to go for a bit of hyperbole but at least they are pretty up front about it
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2018, 03:48:45 pm »
DEET spray melted my Casio watch.  It's evil stuff but effective.

Be careful with it near expensive gadgets.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2018, 03:58:55 pm »
I assume you mean DEET not DDT and Jungle Formula not Jungle Lotion  ;)
Thankyou  :thumbsup: It's still for sale in Boots, whatever it is!

(I typed both from memory, so happy to be corrected. TBH I have long confused DEET and DDT. Luckily I've yet to need to know the difference ... If there IS a product out there called Jungle Lotion with DDT in it, then I apologise! )

I've heard of D(D)EET melting stuff, but not yet suffered it. Despite using a very cheap Casio, and "normal" synthetic cycling jerseys etc. Lee probably has a gold-plated casio, of course ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
I steer clear of Deet,  because it turns clear things opaque.  >:(

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2018, 04:18:48 pm »
High % DEET repellent melts Lycra.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2018, 04:22:31 pm »
The advice that I was given several decades ago on this subject was to go into a chemists in your chosen area, ask what midge repellant they were supplying to the forestry workers and use that because it would probably be the best thing for the job. I finished up with something called "Shoo" which was very light and easy on the skin and worked very well (but don't ask me what was in it). The tiny phial lasted a long time, I was still using it my first years in France.

« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2018, 04:23:55 pm »
You might be interested in...

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

Clearly they have an interest and have been known to go for a bit of hyperbole but at least they are pretty up front about it

I've been quite impressed with smidge, was much more effective than Jungle Formula when I was in West Scotland last year. DEET resistance seems to be rising quickly, as you'd expect.

« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2018, 04:30:59 pm »
basically, you're in trouble except when you're moving. (or if you're very lucky). I've certainly been bitten at all hours. The Book of the Bivvy (which you're welcome to borrow) suggests using nets IIRC, but better still sleep above 2000' !!! (which he seems to think is the whole point of bivvy-ing in Scotchland.

I bought the book on your recommendation, actually!  Haven't got to the midge bit yet, though.

As it happens, my route takes me over Bealach Na Ba quite late in the day, so perhaps I should see if I can engineer the route so that I sleep at the top of it  :-\ Would make for a picturesque climb/descent, at least!

Either way, I'll just stock up on DDT insect repellent and hope for the best.  I could also plot a bail-out route to the east coast in case things get really bad.

« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2018, 04:32:18 pm »
High % DEET repellent melts Lycra.

That was my concern – thanks for the heads up!  I will probably use Smidge instead.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2018, 04:57:33 pm »
The advice that I was given several decades ago on this subject was to go into a chemists in your chosen area, ask what midge repellant they were supplying to the forestry workers and use that because it would probably be the best thing for the job. I finished up with something called "Shoo" which was very light and easy on the skin and worked very well (but don't ask me what was in it). The tiny phial lasted a long time, I was still using it my first years in France.

I lived in Minnesota for a time and their supermarkets tended to have an entire aisle of Mosquito repellents (The Mosquito is jokingly referred to as their State Bird..they are the size of Bluebottles with a painfully huge "drinking straw". It's like being stuck with a pin). 

Based on local recommendation I used "OFF" which I assume was originally going to be called "Fuck Off".  It was 100% DEET and melted my (very cheap) Casio.  I tried to only breathe OUT when I was spraying it.

If it had melted a Gold Casio I'd have been even more concerned about using it.

Lycra wasn't an issue because I didn't wear any, for fear of being shot at by locals.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2018, 05:42:46 pm »
Another Smidge convert here. I stopped using DEET products  few years ago as I came to the conclusion that anything that melts plastic is probably not that good for you.  :o

Things that are useful to know about midges. They don't like bright sun and they don't like wind (above about 10mph IIRC). So chose your pitch accordingly. If it's a still evening then pick the most exposed spot you can in the hope that the wind will be high enough or at least you get the first of the morning sun.

« Reply #18 on: 22 May, 2018, 06:55:39 pm »
They don’t like woodsmoke either. Last time I was up the West Coast I took a twig burning stove and it did the trick nicely. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, midges can indeed be dreadful. I’ve rarely had problems, tho. When you’re on the hill or near the sea, it’s not often the wind drops enough for them to come out in numbers. Bear in mind, however, that campsites are often in sheltered, low-lying areas - the sort of place they love.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19 on: 22 May, 2018, 07:33:49 pm »
Nuke from orbit and the little buggers are gone, but you will die from radiation. Hey, you will not need light as you will be glowing in the dark, so there is some silver lining :)

Only thing that works for me is to stay away or drink DEET and accept that I will get a 100 bites.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2018, 07:57:26 pm »
they don't like rain either.

So the best time to be out is when it is windy, cold and raining. Maybe with an occasional bit of bright sun.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #21 on: 23 May, 2018, 12:24:31 pm »
What's the problem with a few midgies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzUlj6eTehA

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #22 on: 23 May, 2018, 12:44:21 pm »
I've been considering this matter for the West Highland 1000.  If it's wet and/or windy then they've never bothered me, (and I was in the Ullapool - Inchnadamph area in August last year where it was generally one or the other).  If it's still and low light levels then they can be a pest, so my policy will be to keep moving and hope I don't have a puncture, when for the time it takes me to fix it I will be a free target for the billions of wee beasties. 

I've never particularly had a good experience with any form of insect repellent, but perhaps that's me, or I have a particularly tasty blood type.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #23 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:59:19 pm »
I’ve taken joss sticks camping in Scotland before. If I end up camping on my trip this year I may get some more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2018, 12:11:39 am »
It's quite unpredictable. I did two weeks in the Trossachs with Scouts in 2016. Everyone was warning about midges before the trip. I didn't notice them.