Author Topic: What lock do you use when touring?  (Read 2939 times)

What lock do you use when touring?
« on: 05 June, 2018, 06:02:58 pm »
I usually take a really solid chain with a couple of equally solid combination locks. Plus a length of cable for good measure.

I've just been packing all my stuff up and the single heaviest individual item is the lock! I'm wondering whether to ditch the chain and just go with the cable. I have toured extensively carrying the heavy lock, but of course, I've never noticed it as I'm already carrying so much stuff.

I've always thought that other than serious illness, injury or death, the worst thing that could happen on tour would be having your bike nicked.

But should I lose the chain and the extra security of it for the sake of a couple of kilos that get buried with many other kilos? Or take it? I would be happier when I'm away from the bike knowing it's chained up to fuck...

Edit: I am aware that a tooled up villain can get through pretty much anything, but the thick chain should put off a lightly tooled scrote or a casual tea leaf....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: What lock do you use when touring?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2018, 06:19:06 pm »
I use a Kryptonite and cable which came in around 1.2kg but was heavy duty enough for me to sleep well at night. 

Think it is this one:
https://www.evanscycles.com/kryptonite-evolution-mini-7-lock-with-4-foot-kryptoflex-cable-combo-EV145541
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2018, 06:49:33 pm »
I have a D-lock, but it's probably a similar weight to the chain (maybe a touch lighter). Trouble is, I'd be paranoid about losing the key!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:03:38 pm »
Ah yes - good point...
Regards,

Joergen

Nick H.

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:10:45 pm »
Kryptonite mini, locking skewers and a motion sensitive alarmed cable lock to tell me if anyone's fiddling with the bike when I'm in a shop and can't see it. The rest of the time it's never out of sight.

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:10:53 pm »
Minimalist approach from me. Bike is as big as a farm gate and it's got eggbeater pedals so it would be difficult for anyone to ride it away. It's really ugly too so not that desirable. I reckon the risk of it being nicked is small so I use a really light cable lock, try to keep the bike in sight where possible and take the bags with me if I'm leaving it for a while.
Usually try to sort digs or camping where there's secure storage though.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:32:01 pm »
I have just become a fan of the the hiplok lite chain. Just used it for odd commute to work, club runs and overnight audax rides. I find it comfortable enough around the hip and hardly notice its weight. Downside, being a tad short and only security rated as bronze (medium risk area) but am happy with it. I think D-locks offer superior attack resistance compared with chains.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2018, 07:50:41 pm »
Just back from touring in Scotland using my 18’ Otto lock. A great lightweight bit of kit but not cheap.

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:03:16 pm »
...a motion sensitive alarmed cable lock...

That sounds good! Which one do you have?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:13:02 pm »
I usually go cafe lock but for the big trip I've got an Abus Bordo Lite.  The Bordos are their folding locks so they fit neatly in a holster below the downtube.  The lite weighs about 600g and is obvs weaker than the proper ones but it looks pretty much the same, which IMO is the main thing.

Nick H.

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:14:06 pm »
That sounds good! Which one do you have?

It's packed away somewhere but I think it's a Targus, sold as a laptop lock. There are lots of different ones on ebay/amazon/alibaba but I couldn't recommend a particular one. They all seem too cheap to be entirely trustworthy, and I doubt they're waterproof! But anything which has a flashing red light and says ALARM might discourage the odd tealeaf.

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:18:52 pm »
I wouldn't recommend a mini-D - it's hard to find something decent to lock it to in a lot of places when you're touring. I've an Abus chain thing nowadays, which I'd take touring. It's much more versatile.

But I wouldn't fret that much  - let the locals have a go on your bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2018, 09:22:36 pm »
I usually use a one-up-from-cafe-lock (mainly because it's long enough to go round a medium-sized tree) cable lock.  The sort of thing that would take 10 minutes with a swiss army knife, rather than 5.

It's fine for campsites, cafes and shops I'm just popping into.  My main concern in those circumstances is the contents of the panniers.  I wouldn't use it unattended in an urban area.

The touring bike being a recumbent probably reduces its appeal to casual thieves, but it makes up for that in appeal to random fiddlers.

I reckon the Bordo type locks are the next logical step up.  I hadn't realised there was a lightweight one.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:09:22 pm »
My cafe lock solution (which I'd also use for lightweight touring) is a kryptonite evolution LITE mini-6 and a kryptoflex cable.   The mini-d is ridiculously light, but still Sold secure Bicycle Silver  (mine tips the scale at 733 grams).

I usually use the mini-d through the seatstays and rear wheel, and as the lock through the kryptoflex which goes round something solid.  With sheffield stands, I can get the mini-d itself round the frame and stand.

When I bought it, there were no UK outlets, and I had to get it form the continent (via Amazon).  It looks like it's been available at Evans since then, but they are sold out (and presumably not getting it back since the price on the sold out page says "clearance")

For heavier weight camping my trusty Abus chain comes along instead (~2.5kg?).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:17:41 pm »
For heavier weight camping my trusty Abus chain comes along instead (~2.5kg?).

Oh good, I'm not the only one to carry a ridiculously heavy chain then!  :)

I think I shall take it. Peace of mind and all that...

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:20:36 pm »
Kryptonite mini D & a long cable.  Mainly used outside supermarkets & at campsites.   If leaving the bike I sometimes take a picture of it locked up to show the insurance company if the worst happens.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2018, 10:30:11 pm »

ABUS Bordo 6500 X-PLUS Granit lock. Depending on how I'm carrying my luggage, it usually sits on the down tube bottle mount.

I try not to lock my bike up anywhere I can't see it. Usually it's limited to outside a supermarket, or cafe. Where ever I stay I try to take the bike inside.

I wouldn't use a combination lock of any kind, they are too easy to compromise.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2018, 10:27:44 pm »
I have a D-lock, but it's probably a similar weight to the chain (maybe a touch lighter). Trouble is, I'd be paranoid about losing the key!

I have the same worry. I once locked myself out of a car and since then carry  one key in a left hand pocket and another in a right hand pocket.
For the bike I keep two keys on me and a back up on the bike. Needless to say I have never lost a key but if I did .... :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2018, 10:39:34 pm »
Used an Ottolock on a recent tour of Thailand.  The bike wasn't left unattended for long periods!
The sound of one pannier flapping

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 10 June, 2018, 07:31:42 pm »
Abus Granit U-lock
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 10 June, 2018, 08:09:38 pm »
I'm soft and use mostly B&B and hotels, so a light lock is probably okay.  If I was camping I'd doubtless want more security.