Author Topic: Share the Trail! signs  (Read 1590 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Share the Trail! signs
« on: 26 June, 2018, 07:47:41 pm »
Does anyone else have these on their local "shared" Sustrans route? Appeared yesterday on NCN5 in South-Oxon

Subtitle:
"Give way to pedestrians and riders!" Give Way to Pedestrians and Horses!"

Actually: can that be right?? I inferred that it meant horse-riders ... but in hindsight it's a bit ambiguous ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Share the Trail! signs
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »
NCN5 through Cannon Hill Park has:

SHARE WITH CARE
[wheelchair symbol] [pedestrian symbol] [bicycle symbol][1]
Cyclists - Please use your bell
Please keep dogs under control

Both on metal signs at the entrances and stencilled onto the tarmac in a few places.

Which I think is pretty reasonable.  I particularly like the explicit instruction to use bells, as it means that pedestrians are much less likely to get upset at you for ringing it.  Not a normal route for horseists, although I did see some horse poo once, the usual conflict is between cyclists and dog-emptiers.

[1] I tried to do these in unicode, but SMF got upset.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:26:13 pm »
That seems a lot more reasonable!

As it's the same route, surely the same etiquette must apply - I shall post your version over the top of our current one, as soon as I get a Round Tuit.

Clearly there has been a simple administrative error, which I shall be happy to correct  O:-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:10:56 pm »
Well NCN4 (I think it's 4) runs through four different administrations in the 15 miles or so between Bristol and Bath, so a route from Didcotshire to Middle Earth could have dozens.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:19:14 pm »
I wish we did. Been riding loads of Sustransy tracks recently (see square-bagging thread) and the amount of times I've had to "explain" to self important wankers* it's a shared use path is doing my head in.

Also, I still don't like using my bell but it's ding is so pleasing.

*People on bikes included.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2018, 05:35:39 am »
These signs appeared on the Tissington trail some years back. I made my feelings clear to the relevant authorities that the way they are written implies that walkers and horses are there as of right, and cyclists must always give way.
This has seemed to encourage large, rather aggressive, groups of walkers to make it difficult for a cyclist to get round them.
Were it not for the cyclist lobby the Trail would not exist - I was around at the time.
Unfortunately the new trend in “ gravel bikes” has led to some arrogant numpties racing at silly speeds on the Trail. They don’t see that they damage the interests and rights of other cyclists.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:23:44 am »
My view is that they can fuck right off.

My new plan is a "Cyclists - Know Your Place!" sign

Subtitle: "Caution: you MAY be trampled by horses on this trail."

But I think I need some suitable graphics to make this work ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:40:45 am »
It could be worse, they could have put up a sign detailing their own bollox version of the Highway Code:
https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBlog/status/1011557773975441408