Author Topic: Dangerous road on my commute  (Read 2402 times)

Dangerous road on my commute
« on: 17 August, 2018, 01:35:42 pm »
I'm having difficulty with a road on my commute which is causing significant doubt about continuing to keep commuting by bike.

I've worked here since 2012 and have cycled to work throughout that time but haven't ever ridden a full week very often, three days a week is about my average. I'm trying to increase my riding and the obvious answer is to increase to 5 days. Which I have managed this week much to my own satisfaction.

There is a country road just at the end of my ride in, on which our industrial park is located. It's about 4 miles long, wide in places, too narrow in others, runs through a village and the speed limit varies from national at the bottom end, 30 in the village and 40 up to my work. It's almost completely straight and is therefore a natural race track. It's completely normal to see traffic overtaking in the 40 straight at me, close passes happen on a daily basis and I fear for my life. Watching my heart rate monitor is an entertaining by-product.

I can cut out the road almost entirely but that is a three mile detour through quiet country lanes which in summer time are a joy to ride but in winter flood quite significantly and are often impassable, at least in the dark some of the traffic slows down a bit on the main road. Adding three miles each way to my commute means an earlier start and a later return home. Three days a week this is acceptable but every night is tiring.

The half way option takes me into some other lanes which I usually use but these are badly potholed, covered in sand and mud and really badly flood in the winter. I ride a pretty sturdy bike so don't worry too much but it still results in having to use two miles of the main road.

I tried riding in a more positive position on the road this morning with scary consequences. I can ride in the gutter (it's been recently resurfaced) but that just encourages close passing so I don't really know what to do.

I've ridden this road for 6 years now and am not sure what's changed, it's either getting more dangerous or I perceive it to be as I get older.

Will petitioning the local government for a proper cycle lane or connecting the villages with some off road paths stand any chance whatsoever??
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Dangerous road on my commute
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:04:01 pm »
If you haven't got the budget for a tricycle of some sort (which have theory-of-big car repellent properties), try strapping a golf umbrella or garden fork across the rear rack.  Can't think of much else you can do to reduce close passes on this sort of road, and unfortunately I find that WTF-factor has very little effect on oncoming overtakers.

I reckon even if your local authority had both enthusiasm and budget for some cycle infrastructure, they'd still take years to install it.  Lower speed limits might be more achievable, but they generally require deaths.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:07:36 pm »
off road paths, you could be looking at a 6 figure sum. More likely to find a double decker bus on the moon, I'd imagine.

It's austerity. No money for infrastructure and no money for Polis.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:11:32 pm »
That's a thought, though.  If your local police force were Close Pass Initiative inclined, they might be open to suggestions for potential locations.

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:01:21 pm »
strapping a golf umbrella or garden fork across the rear rack
As a ped. I have found carrying a pair of tungsten carbide tipped walking poles at a jaunty angle has an amazing effect. Quite surprising how observant drivers can be. Even the one who  felt it necessary to sound horn was well out in the carriageway.

« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2018, 12:34:08 pm »
Garden forks and walking poles sound interesting!

Maybe try:

if there's no pedestrians, ride on the pavement if there is one,

keep looking behind and be aware of load fast approaching drivers, if they look like they're going to close overtake, stick your right arm straight out. And make sure you turn your head to make sure the driver knows there's an actual human being in front of them and that the human being is aware the of the driver. Most drivers will slow and move out to overtake but some drivers don't care anyway but at least the overtake won't be as close as without your right arm out.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #6 on: 25 August, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »
"pool noodles" are popular for this purpose in the USA. Not very aero but lightweight and long, and while not actually damaging should deter the close passers.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2018, 02:00:07 pm »

I've ridden this road for 6 years now and am not sure what's changed, it's either getting more dangerous or I perceive it to be as I get older.

It's probably just more traffic

The way I see it you have two options

1) stop riding in except in summer when there is good weather and you can use the lanes
2) attach some kind of massive visibility device to your bike and ride in primary

I suggest a 2 metre long pole with 2 or more ultra high powered led daylight visible lights on it at the back and a Moonshine grade light on the front

I find when I ride a bike with daylight lights that are super strong (ie a B&M IQ-X) I do get more respect from traffic.  I believe that they mistake me for a motorbike

There is a third option but i doubt that it would be any use.  Traffic levels and driver behaviour varies a lot according to the time of day.  Even leaving 10 minutes earlier or later can affect this.  But as you are going to work, probably not an option

« Reply #8 on: 25 August, 2018, 08:01:22 pm »
Vorsprung speaks wise words.
Try a 10 / 15 minute change in your departure, have a coffee when you arrive at work, and / or have one before you leave - it can make a huge difference.
Lights! I use a stupid bright rear light, and suspect it does have a wtf effect. A front light might have a similar effect.
I used to use a 'spacer' flag years ago (I'm sure you remember them) but I ended up believing that they were a target, and did nothing for passing distances.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2018, 09:19:14 am »
As a general point, when it gets dark you (we all!)  need a continuous rear light of adequate size and brightness.

Continuous because a driver will not be able to accurately locate your position with only a blindly.
Big as a large light surface also helps with location
Bright enough to be seen in the conditions, so brighter in traffic.

If traffic is at all heavy I think a bright blinks is good as an addition, to attract attention. I’ve got quite fond of a solid line above a blinking circle - hopefully an exclamation mark will make sure they notice me.

FWIW, I very rarely commute and the only reason is the lack of suitable infrastructure between Harrogate and Leeds.

« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:23:01 pm »
I'm a bit calmer than my original post.

Surprisingly things have improved since the schools went back. I think the greater number of cars on the road means those speeding can't any more. Especially as there is a primary school in the village.

Other than that I've been ensuring I hold a steady pace and line and leave them to deal with me and not the other way round. I've been using the longer country lane route for a couple of weeks and it's been lovely. I'll probably use the main road route in the dark though as the country roads will flood when the rain comes down.

Due to the rural nature of my route I've always relied on decent lights and at night I've never been too worried as I know I'm seen. My winter bike will have a dynamo fitted by the end of the month with a B&M Luxus fitted front and Secula on the rear. The current battery rear light will stay in place but will be pressed into flashing mode for extra.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2018, 05:06:44 pm »
. . . and (if you haven't already) I recommend the reflective spoken-dokeys on your spokes, so if stopped at a junction, you'll be picked up by lights coming ninety degrees on.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex