Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 1061952 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8725 on: September 30, 2017, 08:22:36 pm »
Swapped the bars on the Genesis Equilibrium and converted to a triple chainset. Still need to make final adjustments for comfort. The bars are Nitto RM-3 Gravel. I'm finding the Midge bars on the Cross-Check far more comfortable than conventional drops so thought I'd give them a go on the road bike. Bend and flare are completely different though and distance between levers is very close - but I do like the longer bottom bit (between the brake levers and bar end shifters) - got a set of Love Mud Bombers in the shed if I don't like them.

Looks ace. :thumbsup:  How are you getting on with the Nitto bars?  How do they compare to the Midges and Bombers?

« Reply #8726 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:26 pm »

Bought a 1980/1981 frame for cheap of a Gazelle Sprinter Race -- that basically is the Raleigh Super Grand Prix they made in Dieren as well back in the day, but with their own brandname on it. It did not come with a fork, alas, so I had to use a cheap contemporary one, that is a bit too fat. Also, the paint and coating I used on it cured much more yellowish than expected.

Always wanted another Sprinter Race for commuting. I already had a blue one. But that has been build up with an 8 speed internal gear hub. And since that is such a comfortable bike, I have always wondered if a derailleur would not have made it an even better bike.

Ought to mention as well the headlamp is a Spanninga Axendo 60 XDAS I am pretty happy with. Spanninga has bought the Philips technology, when that company stopped making bike lights, and now puts out lights that are basically the same. The rear lights are nearly identical and only around a tenner in the Netherlands, whereas the Philips ones were easily three times as much. And the Axenda 60 XDAS is an upgrade compared to the Philips SafeRide 60 lux lamp. It is a lot cheaper to buy as well, and it has an extra daylight setting.

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
    • Feast
« Reply #8727 on: October 13, 2017, 12:48:12 pm »
BJ the On-One Pompino fixie with optional single-speed goodness.  My winter steed and I have finally finished tweaking him so these are the official photos to go into the family album...

BJ is a 57cm frame, the largest Plantet X offer and a bit small for me hence the tons of seat post but he seems comfy enough.  The roads hereabouts will soon be covered in chutney so he'll be a dirty BJ in no time at all; currently he's far too clean.

windy

• Sitting on a bog in the North Atlantic
    • Audax Hebrides
« Reply #8728 on: October 15, 2017, 12:25:00 am »
Swapped the bars on the Genesis Equilibrium and converted to a triple chainset. Still need to make final adjustments for comfort. The bars are Nitto RM-3 Gravel. I'm finding the Midge bars on the Cross-Check far more comfortable than conventional drops so thought I'd give them a go on the road bike. Bend and flare are completely different though and distance between levers is very close - but I do like the longer bottom bit (between the brake levers and bar end shifters) - got a set of Love Mud Bombers in the shed if I don't like them.

Looks ace. :thumbsup:  How are you getting on with the Nitto bars?  How do they compare to the Midges and Bombers?

Looks really nice but the levers are too close together and there's not enough room on the tops. It feels a bit twitchy climbing on the hoods but the drops are really comfortable. as a person who spends most of the time on the tops and hoods they're not really my type of bar. I'm in the process of fitting some Bombers