Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 378726 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1700 on: 11 March, 2018, 10:44:45 pm »
Your sacrifice is above and beyond the call of duty...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1701 on: 11 March, 2018, 10:47:24 pm »
Jam tomorrow.

ian

« Reply #1702 on: 12 March, 2018, 09:54:05 am »
It's scone as in 'cone' where I come from and cream comes first, it's like butter innit.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1703 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:04:35 am »
I usually prefer to skip the jam and maybe the cream altogether.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1704 on: 12 March, 2018, 10:14:15 am »
Scone as in cone as Ian says, but he's wrong about the cream. Jam first, otherwise it's an unstable structure.
Mind ewe, Dr Beardy (Mrs) disagrees with me, but then I'm used to that  ;D

We'll also be in the West Country in a couple of weeks doing field work, though we'll be in Devon
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1705 on: 12 March, 2018, 11:37:14 am »
Kajsa is the scon expert
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1707 on: 19 March, 2018, 12:17:21 pm »
The number 11 Thamesdown bus, named after the Queen of the Brits...

Queen of the Brits? I thought she was Queen of the Iceni. ???
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #1708 on: 19 March, 2018, 01:26:21 pm »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1709 on: 23 March, 2018, 12:17:50 am »
This seems relevant to YACFers' interests:  Man on horse tries to place McDonald's drive-thru order

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1710 on: 23 March, 2018, 08:25:17 am »
I don't entirely get why they refuse to serve a horse rider a coffee. I'm sure I horse can trot from ordering point to delivery hatch in just the same time as a driver can drive a car. Or a cyclist for that matter. Come to that, you could walk it. It's really just a takeaway, geared particularly to people in cars, but a takeaway like millions of others.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1711 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:28:53 pm »
A ring of active Satanism and Black Magic has been uncovered in a Polish school. Not just any school, it's in the town where Mrs Cudzo grew up and even more so, one of her friends works there now. Her friend isn't linked to the coven (at least, not officially), she teaches Polish and the Satanists are all in the English Department. The cabal came to light recently when
(click to show/hide)
Having said she's not involved, I'm not so sure; when she visited a couple of years ago, she did
(click to show/hide)
Watch this space (for frogs and toadstools).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1712 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:30:12 pm »
I don't entirely get why they refuse to serve a horse rider a coffee. I'm sure I horse can trot from ordering point to delivery hatch in just the same time as a driver can drive a car. Or a cyclist for that matter. Come to that, you could walk it. It's really just a takeaway, geared particularly to people in cars, but a takeaway like millions of others.

I suppose there may be issues with reaching the serving hatch from the saddle of a horse, but I think it's just the great tradition of "this is weird, let's ban it citing health and safety".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1713 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:48:37 pm »
Yes, it's possible someone reaching down from the saddle of a horse could spill hot coffee over a server. I wonder if they serve lorry drivers? I dare say there's a porch thingy with a height limit that makes it impossible. But what if the horse rider dismounted, would they serve them on foot (or a pedestrian)? (Yes, I know this bloke got a coffee on foot but he had to tether his horse and go into the actual cafe part to get it.) Kind of related, I note (from passing a particular McD's regularly and seeing through the windows) that at least some (non-drive in) branches seem to have done away with things like staff taking orders; you order and pay at one of a number of screens, then go to a hatch to collect. At least, that's certainly what it looks like (Bristol Cabot Circus branch, if you want to know)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1714 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:54:56 pm »
Kind of related, I note (from passing a particular McD's regularly and seeing through the windows) that at least some (non-drive in) branches seem to have done away with things like staff taking orders; you order and pay at one of a number of screens, then go to a hatch to collect. At least, that's certainly what it looks like (Bristol Cabot Circus branch, if you want to know)

Yeah, it's definitely a thing.  I first encountered it at the terrifying Michael Jackson themed branch of the Scottish Restaurant in Best.  Seems to work well enough, in that you can interact with the computer in your own time (and language) to make the order and pay, and the minimum-wage oiks can concentrate on flipping burgers and stuff.  Barakta thinks they're brilliant, because you don't have to hear anything in what is inevitably an acoustically hostile environment.

I heard somewhere that in busy locations they've actually had to employ more staff because electronic ordering means higher customer throughput.

« Reply #1715 on: 23 March, 2018, 02:34:03 pm »
Yes, it's possible someone reaching down from the saddle of a horse could spill hot coffee over a server. I wonder if they serve lorry drivers? I dare say there's a porch thingy with a height limit that makes it impossible. But what if the horse rider dismounted, would they serve them on foot (or a pedestrian)? (Yes, I know this bloke got a coffee on foot but he had to tether his horse and go into the actual cafe part to get it.)

They have form for refusing to serve anyone not in a car in the drive through. It's ridiculous when they won't serve a cyclist when that is the only open bit. Mark THomas took various vehicles through to wind them up including a  tank - there are videos on YouTube.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1716 on: 23 March, 2018, 02:53:24 pm »
  Barakta thinks they're brilliant, because you don't have to hear anything in what is inevitably an acoustically hostile environment.
This. I try and use self service tills whenever they are available because I don't have to interact with people who often treat me as if I'm stupid because they are unable to enunciate clearly.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1717 on: 23 March, 2018, 03:04:19 pm »
I just find that it creates an obstruction when I'm on the way to the bog at motorway services.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1718 on: 23 March, 2018, 03:10:05 pm »
On the occasion that I have visited said establishment, having somebody with me to read and operate the contraption proved to be absolutely essential. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1719 on: 23 March, 2018, 03:21:02 pm »
Yes, it's possible someone reaching down from the saddle of a horse could spill hot coffee over a server. I wonder if they serve lorry drivers? I dare say there's a porch thingy with a height limit that makes it impossible. But what if the horse rider dismounted, would they serve them on foot (or a pedestrian)? (Yes, I know this bloke got a coffee on foot but he had to tether his horse and go into the actual cafe part to get it.)

They have form for refusing to serve anyone not in a car in the drive through. It's ridiculous when they won't serve a cyclist when that is the only open bit. Mark THomas took various vehicles through to wind them up including a  tank - there are videos on YouTube.
Don't recognize the name... but found the video! https://youtu.be/71-h9A2XvWo I like the clowns best!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1720 on: 27 March, 2018, 11:36:25 pm »
Breaking news: Police have arrested Tullio Campagnolo.

https://www.bikebiz.com/news/shimano-on-fire
VELOMANCER

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1721 on: 24 April, 2018, 10:34:30 am »
Bath woman’s Pavlova plans ruined after Waitrose strawberries go mouldy
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/bath-womans-pavlova-plans-ruined-1475899

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1722 on: 24 April, 2018, 12:01:01 pm »
Don't trivialise it...these things MATTER in Bath, dammit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1723 on: 24 April, 2018, 01:32:19 pm »
FWP, surely?
VELOMANCER