Linked Events

• FNRtME Birmingham - Rollright Stones: 14 September, 2012 - 15 September, 2012

Author Topic: FNRtME (Friday Night Ride through Middle Earth) to Rollright Stones - 14-15 Sept  (Read 24947 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF WM presents: FNRtME (Friday Night Ride through Middle Earth)
« Reply #50 on: 16 August, 2012, 05:21:54 pm »
ETA: Hadn't thought about cars.  Wonder if the MAC car park is okay to use overnight?

"This gate is closed at dusk." So probably not.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: YACF WM presents: FNRtME (Friday Night Ride through Middle Earth)
« Reply #51 on: 16 August, 2012, 06:49:39 pm »
I'll probably avoid Icknield Street, taking the parallel route to the east

Yes, that's the way I go.  Icknield Street is not fun at all.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Friday is problematic for me so will decline. Huge difference in local rail fares with various levels of faffing vis station changes which however are interesting as single fares can be as low as a fiver and duly noted for the future. Basil's offer also noted cheers Basil. East coast main line fares are a joke and set to become jokier.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

A few thoughts on routes etc.: -
I reckon the gentlest ( :-\) way up to the Stones is from Sutton-under-Brailes, across the Stour at Traitor's Ford (which is a real ford, though usually shallow, but without a footbridge IIRC). I haven't tried the direct route to the hilltop up Traitor's Ford Lane, but the indirect roads towards Hook Norton & then SW to the top are not too bad.

The direct climb up from Long Compton is pretty brutal. I used the 24" gear on the way to Chipping Norton. I haven't tried the A3400, which looks gentler & might be a plausible option if motor traffic is both light & driven intelligently...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I reckon the gentlest ( :-\) way up to the Stones is from Sutton-under-Brailes, across the Stour at Traitor's Ford (which is a real ford, though usually shallow, but without a footbridge IIRC).

Streetview shows a footbridge.  (Isn't it brilliant being able to do this?  It's The Future!)

Fords are always entertaining, as long as there's an alternative for those who fear that Nothing might happen...

I reckon the gentlest ( :-\) way up to the Stones is from Sutton-under-Brailes, across the Stour at Traitor's Ford (which is a real ford, though usually shallow, but without a footbridge IIRC). I haven't tried the direct route to the hilltop up Traitor's Ford Lane, but the indirect roads towards Hook Norton & then SW to the top are not too bad.

The climb from Whichford goes up a lot and tests the lungs. IME it's not a killer on a 67" fixed, but it would be a pity to miss the Norman Knight in Whichford before tackling the hill.

The direct climb up from Long Compton is pretty brutal, despite the lack of chevrons. I used the 24" gear on the way to Chipping Norton. I haven't tried the A3400, which looks gentler & might be a plausible option if motor traffic were to be both light & driven intelligently...

Banbury has breakfast options. Our CTC group has used a good (chinese run) cafe, but it opens at 9 a.m. There are a couple of Wetherspoons pubs that are open from 8 a.m. for breakfast.

I have no idea whether I'll be joining the ride. We seem to be having an annus horribilis. If things go well & we have another grandchild by then, it's still not clear which of the current health problems will still need support.

I seem to have posted this before completion. There is duplication., but it's a bit too late to delete the incomplete post.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
I reckon the gentlest ( :-\) way up to the Stones is from Sutton-under-Brailes, across the Stour at Traitor's Ford (which is a real ford, though usually shallow, but without a footbridge IIRC).

Streetview shows a footbridge.  (Isn't it brilliant being able to do this?  It's The Future!)

Fords are always entertaining, as long as there's an alternative for those who fear that Nothing might happen...

The ford is a no-no - it's very sheltered, seldom dries out completely and thus always has layer of thick green slime on the concrete surface - the bridge is fine, not quite rideable but does the job.

Rob

robgul

Nick's suggestion via Traitor's Ford would mean quite a bit of retracing to get from the stones to Banbury - and not sure where he's coming from re the Norman Knight ... this is a night (the other sort) ride and the pub would closed ......

Approaching the stones from the west side has a few options - Barton/Little Compton is severe but the rise via the A3400 is a steady drag and not too onerous (that would require a retrace of just a few hundred metres)

I'm working on some plots ... I'll be back ...

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Ok, I'm still considering this, on the basis that I fancy a ride to the Rollrights and I ought to do a YACF night ride at least once. My tentative plan is train up to Birmingham, ride to the Rollrights, watch the sun rise and attain astral unity, mystic peace and a spooky chill, then ride to Cheltenham, which seems to be about 35 miles through Stow-on-the-Wold (and Adlestrop, where nothing happened so long ago). But it is tentative because that's going to be a long ride for me in my present sorry state (enough of the whining!) by day let alone night and I'm not sure I'll be able to get up to Brum in time, so a couple of questions:
What time is start from Mordor Central?
How far is the ride - I'm banking on 50 miles, yes?
How hilly?
What kind of average speed is anticipated?
And of course:
How heavily will it rain?
What kind of cake?
Chips or pasty? etc
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
Night miles are shorter than day miles
Night time hills are less steep than day time hills

It all helps
hth

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I disagree about the hills! For me, if I can see the top of the hill, or even what appears to be the top but has another climb following, it helps me mentally make the effort to get up there. In the dark I can't see the top so I don't know (if it's a new-to-me hill) whether I'm half way up or only a third, or sometimes whether it's about to flatten out or rear up like a giraffe's neck.

But certainly night riding has other pleasures to day riding.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I'm really really going to try to do this ride. I've only done one night ride before, a dun run, and it was okay, but hard. This sounds fun.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

robgul

I sent Kim some map plots for the Stratford-upon-Avon to Rollright segment (and then to Banbury)  - undulates a bit and only one real hill that's as you approach the Stones.   I'm sure she'll be on the case imminently.

My plan will be to meet the peloton at the TESCO "feed station" in SuA and ride to Rollrights ... and then either to Banbury for breakfast and train home - or ride straight home (stopping for breakfast in Shipston-on-Stour en route)

I've also just realised that I'm going to ride Bill Carnaby's London Sightseer Audax the following day ... 105km across London and back.  It'll be my 6th outing for this ride - seems crazy, but it gets better every time - there's a group of about 8 of us doing it .

Looks like I'll be knackered come the Monday!

Rob

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
This would work quite well for me. (With a Brum-dodging option of riding straight to StUpA. Good choice going for a Friday night; I wouldn't do this without the delights of Tesco to lure me through the night).
Wetherspoons are good for breakfast.

But of course TG's Sheringham affair was arranged for this weekend, long ago ... Shame, maybe next time. (Unless I woose out from riding crazy distances at the last minute ... )

Have fun!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Just giving the thread a much-needed bump.

I've been peering at maps and have the route as far as Stratford sussed - using mostly roads I know to be nice to cycle on (at least in this direction - it's nominally downhill all the way).  Works out at only a kilometre longer than going through Redditch, which is a bonus.  Rob's route looks pretty good for the second half of the ride.  I reckon we can make a decision based on time and knackeredness when we get to Long Compton on the best approach to the hill.

Knee permitting I'm going to go out and sanity check things at some point this week.  Then we can make a decision about start time.

jogler

• mojo operandi
Looking at the map it appears to be a choice,wrt the hill at the end ( THATE ),of short & steep or longer & less steep.
I'll be packing a 24" gear as always.THATE should sort it either way
 :)

Do we get bonus points for riding in Dr Who fancy dress ?  :D

The Stones of Blood
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I knitted a fourth doctor scarf once... not sure that's practical on the bike.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I knitted a fourth doctor scarf once... not sure that's practical on the bike.

Can't be less practical than a full Vampire cape
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Do we get bonus points for riding in Dr Who fancy dress ?  :D

The Stones of Blood
Hmmm, set in Cornwall, filmed in Midlandshire.  In honour of this, I'll be in Cornwall while you're riding to the real stones.  Have fun everybody.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

FNRtME (Friday Night Ride through Middle Earth) to Rollright Stones - 14-15 Sept
« Reply #70 on: 03 September, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »
It's a trap folks! She's going to persuade us to ride there of our own free will, and when we arrive we'll be lured into a giant Wicker Cyclist by the offer of tea & CAIK!

Or something....

:-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I am sat at Banbury station having ridden the route (mostly - I had a bit of a digression due to not paying attention). There are a couple of tweaks I want to make on account of ludicrous top-dressing and easily missed turns, but it mostly works.

The slog up to the Stones is a red herring - it's the general undulation of this part of the country that gets you. Though we could do without the bonus bastard hill on the way to Banbury - will meditate over maps to that purpose later...

You obviously escaped the blood drinking Ogri  :)   Hope it was an enjoyable ride.   Tickets from Banbury back to Liverpool are reasonable, so hopefully I'll be along for this.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
I would've liked to go, but have a prior arranged social engagement on Saturday. If this is on again, I'll definitely join :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
I am sat at Banbury station

The meeting venue of the first C+ group ride ?years* ago. I have a group photo somewhere of the participants,some of whom haunt this place.

*1999 :-\