Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940660 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7500 on: 06 October, 2017, 12:36:47 pm »
Blade Runner 2049 last night.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film but with some riders-

(click to show/hide)

Otherwise-  :thumbsup:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7501 on: 06 October, 2017, 06:52:30 pm »
Goodbye Christopher Robin. Quite sentimental, but that was implicit. I only discovered Winnie The Pooh when I was 18, but I rate the stories very highly. There was a bit too much of the And-that's-where-that-came-from stuff. And I do wonder whether mum got a bit scapegoated (but ICBA to read a biography to check). Also, the actor playing little Christopher Robin sometimes looked a bit older than I felt he should, but it's pretty hard to get little kids to act. Not impossible, but hard.

However, I thought the story was well told and the parts really well acted. If you like the stories, and don't mind a bit of a cry, it's a good way to spend 90 mins.

Oh, and I saw it at the Electric Cinema in Brum - the oldest working cinema in the country, they say. It was lovely. Old, a bit shabby, but clean and comfortable and nicely non-corporate. The ads, including trailers, were less than 15 mins. Also recommended.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7502 on: 07 October, 2017, 05:55:36 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7503 on: 07 October, 2017, 08:48:11 pm »
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
I had forgotten how wonderfully silly that film is.   Not the best Mel Brooks film, but still enjoyable.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7504 on: 07 October, 2017, 11:18:16 pm »
Good Will Hunting

Well, I've seen it now.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7505 on: 08 October, 2017, 11:16:28 am »
We watched all the Back to the Future films back to back last night.

They really are great.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #7506 on: 09 October, 2017, 12:47:17 pm »
Blade Runner 2049. I quite enjoyed it. I did try to the watch the original the night before (the 'final cut', it claimed) but I fell asleep in the middle and thus created my own unofficial edit. My wife ensured she still hasn't seen it by sleeping through the entire movie. But then she sleeps through every movie, so that shouldn't necessarily be taken as criticism. We shouldn't try to watch movies when we get home from the pub.

Criticisms, while beautifully shot and colored (especially in IMax), it's a bit slow and long. I'm not sure how long I need to stare and at a vista of petrochemical smog (and why does it only rain in LA?) but I suspect it's fewer than three hours. I'm not really sure on the whole replicants thing tbh, there's plenty enough tech for humans to be building robots. But anyway, if you liked the original you're unlikely to be disappointed, though it really doesn't move forwards, just re-iterates the same story and theme.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7507 on: 10 October, 2017, 03:54:29 am »
T2

Supremely slick and pacy, great music, cracking visuals, pretty much everything you want it to be, and yet... it lacks that indefinable edge that the original Trainspotting had, and there's nothing to make you physically recoil from the screen, not even when it gets to the big showdown between Begbie and Renton. Good though. Very good.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7508 on: 10 October, 2017, 08:40:58 am »
Since T1 I've never been able to see Robert Carlyle as anyone but Begbie.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #7509 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:23:59 am »
Since T1 I've never been able to see Robert Carlyle as anyone but Begbie.

This.

And I really found T2 disappointing. I probably ought to give it another go...but don;t want to disappoint myself again! :-\
Steady at 15

citoyen

« Reply #7510 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:40:03 am »
The fact that the flashback to the flying pint glass scene from T1 is easily the most shocking thing in T2 pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how edgy it is, but I enjoyed it for what it is, and I think Danny Boyle is self-aware enough to get away with it. There's enough style and panache to overcome the lack of substance.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7511 on: 10 October, 2017, 10:22:26 am »
Blade Runner. Last night and, as my son described it, it's overly long and could have done with editing. Apart form the scenes of violence, the speed/pace is held fairly constant (which might be described as 'ploddy') but, still enjoyable nonetheless. It's certainly LOUD!

I liked Deckard's dog!

During the quiet periods of the film, the fully-packed cinema, also enjoyed the loud snores of some chap.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7512 on: 10 October, 2017, 12:44:22 pm »
Went to a preview of Loving Vincent at the ICA last night. A bit hard to follow the story at first (not being familiar with the details of Van Gogh's death) but otherwise very enjoyable, and the overlaid animation in Van Gogh's painting style is fantastic.

fuzzy

« Reply #7513 on: 11 October, 2017, 12:22:28 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Chris S

« Reply #7514 on: 13 October, 2017, 10:22:46 pm »
Bladerunner 2049.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7515 on: 14 October, 2017, 10:18:05 am »
Philadelphia - hadn't seen it for years. Still an excellent film, esp. since back then Denzel Washington was still playing characters instead of just Denzel Washington.  Apart from the central theme, it was striking how times have changed in 25 years - simple mobile phones, compact cameras you had to put film into, libraries devoted to just books and not the "hundreds of creative activities" I saw touted for one large municipal library recently.

Great.

« Reply #7516 on: 14 October, 2017, 05:11:32 pm »
'Explain it to me like I'm a 2yr old', Denzel is brilliant - one of my all time favs

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7517 on: 20 October, 2017, 11:35:34 am »
There are actors who change to fit the role, and actors who don't. DW doesn't.  Another one who didn't was Robin Williams. Then there's Charles Bronson, Bruised Willy, etc.  Actually, in Bruce Willis's first couple of films, when he still had combable hair, he did vary and was excellent.  Once he became everybody's last action hero he seemed to set.  DW has too.  Maybe it's the directors' fault.

« Reply #7518 on: 20 October, 2017, 12:29:24 pm »
  Maybe it's the directors' fault.

Or the studios giving the audience what they know will sell.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7519 on: 20 October, 2017, 12:40:25 pm »
Blade Runner 2049.

Very enjoyable - I'd happily see it at the cinema again rather than merely wait for the DVD release.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7520 on: 20 October, 2017, 01:35:56 pm »
  Maybe it's the directors' fault.

Or the studios giving the audience what they know will sell.

Yes.  Michael Gambon in "Open Range" was one of the nastiest cases I've seen.

citoyen

What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7521 on: 20 October, 2017, 09:14:06 pm »
The Death Of Stalin

Like The Thick Of It but with people who actually stab each other in the back, not just metaphorically. Or a Shakespearean history play with proper jokes. Very funny, as in laughing so hard I can’t breathe, but also depressingly dark and nasty. Simon Russell Beale is chillingly brilliant. As is Steve Buscemi. And Michael Palin is sheer genius.

ETA: I was thinking while watching it that there was something vaguely familiar about Michael Palin's performance. Then I remembered later what it was he reminded me of: it was his own performance in Brazil. There's a particularly brilliant scene halfway through the film where he gives a long monologue at a committee meeting that is more Orwellian than Orwell. I listened to Mark Kermode's review on R5 this morning and was pleased to note that he also made the Brazil connection. He also made the same observation as me about Jason Isaacs channelling Sean Bean's Sharpe to great comic effect.

Dammit, I want to see this again, there's so much in it to enjoy. So many great lines, so many great performances, such perfect satire.

« Reply #7522 on: 21 October, 2017, 01:07:10 pm »
Burke and Hare

It's not spectacularly funny, but it's a mildly amusing comedy, that definitely has its moment about a fairly gory subject.  It does play fast and loose with the real story, so is definitely only an approximation of the actual events, but for a comedy we don't exactly want reality!

There are quite a number of very well known actors and actresses in the film.  Aside from Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis playing the lead roles with their normal panache, there are a few unexpected appearances.  Jenny Agutter appears in a fairly minor role, as one of a group of actresses, Ronnie Corbett as a fairly dimwitted Captain of Militia, and even more surprisingly, Ray Harryhausen appears as an otherwise unnamed distinguished Doctor. ;D

I paid £4 for the Bluray disc, and I think I got value for that, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay much more.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7523 on: 21 October, 2017, 01:26:59 pm »
T2

Supremely slick and pacy, great music, cracking visuals, pretty much everything you want it to be, and yet... it lacks that indefinable edge that the original Trainspotting had, and there's nothing to make you physically recoil from the screen, not even when it gets to the big showdown between Begbie and Renton. Good though. Very good.
When I started reading this, I assumed you meant Arnie...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #7524 on: 21 October, 2017, 01:42:52 pm »
The fact that the flashback to the flying pint glass scene from T1 is easily the most shocking thing in T2 pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how edgy it is, but I enjoyed it for what it is, and I think Danny Boyle is self-aware enough to get away with it. There's enough style and panache to overcome the lack of substance.

I think the whole point of the film is that it should lack action. It's about aging, disillusion, and disappointment.

T1, on the other hand, was about youth, energy and optimism.