Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941888 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7650 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:30:10 am »
Rewatched Unbreakable after watching Split.
Shyamalan can be good. he really can.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7651 on: 06 December, 2017, 07:56:33 am »
L'Affaire Danton, a 1983 film about the downfall of one of the leaders of the French Revolution. Depardieu before he waxed globular. Directed by Andrej Wajda.  Wonderfully clear diction, in contrast with current films.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7652 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:27:17 am »
I thought Wonder Woman was solid, other than the last 15 minutes which were hokey.  The backstory is perhaps forgivable since she was effectively being introduced for the DC extended universe films (in particular Justice League).  It followed a similar pattern to Captain America, but was less tedious.

It was a definite step up from other recent DC films like Batgran v Supergran and Suicide Squad (or Shitty Shit Shite as my friend put it).  And at least on a par with Thor: Ragnarok and GotG2.

Maybe I just had low expectations.

Nah. I loved the latest Thor (GotG2 was good, not so as the original, but enjoyable nevertheless). I just find the DC ones a bit laboured and tedious. OK, I can understand they don't want the same tone, but like I've said, there's something faintly ludicrous about dressing up in silly costumes and fighting crime/saving the world/going shopping, and it's best to acknowledge it, even if faintly. I don't mind the backstory, but rather than just tell it, they could so a slow reveal. Otherwise it's just clumsy exposition.

Suicide Squad was shit though.

WW wasn't awful, I just thought they could have done better with what they had.

fuzzy

« Reply #7653 on: 07 December, 2017, 10:03:43 am »
Cloud Atlas- took me a while to get my head around the seemingly vastly disparate story arcs but, once I started to understand where it was going, a film thoroughly enjoyed.

Playing the game of guessing whether a character was a particular actor was fun also.

(click to show/hide)

Just remembered re Cloud Atlas.

Mrs F made a very accurate remark- Neo Seoul is where the location manager should have set Blade Runner 2049.

She's very good my Mrs :thumbsup:

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7654 on: 07 December, 2017, 11:41:18 am »
I thought Wonder Woman was solid, other than the last 15 minutes which were hokey.  The backstory is perhaps forgivable since she was effectively being introduced for the DC extended universe films (in particular Justice League).  It followed a similar pattern to Captain America, but was less tedious.

It was a definite step up from other recent DC films like Batgran v Supergran and Suicide Squad (or Shitty Shit Shite as my friend put it).  And at least on a par with Thor: Ragnarok and GotG2.

The DC stuff is just all too pointedly Grimdark and tedious at the moment.  Suicide Squad was terrible.  One of the rare films I've resold as I never want to watch it again.

Nah. I loved the latest Thor (GotG2 was good, not so as the original, but enjoyable nevertheless). I just find the DC ones a bit laboured and tedious. OK, I can understand they don't want the same tone, but like I've said, there's something faintly ludicrous about dressing up in silly costumes and fighting crime/saving the world/going shopping, and it's best to acknowledge it, even if faintly. I don't mind the backstory, but rather than just tell it, they could so a slow reveal. Otherwise it's just clumsy exposition.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7655 on: 08 December, 2017, 01:19:31 pm »
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Sorry, I do apologise. This of course, should be in "Wot I'm reading at the moment."
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #7656 on: 08 December, 2017, 10:13:37 pm »

Unfortunately, I think a large part of DC's problem has been Zack Snyder. He makes good visuals, but simply cannot develop a story. I assume that he's now largely gone, so maybe DC will be able to turn it around?.

ian

« Reply #7657 on: 08 December, 2017, 10:16:11 pm »
Ah, that explains the endless slow motion sword swinging and arrow flinging.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7658 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:39:41 am »
John Wick is such fun  :thumbsup:

I thought it was stupid  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7659 on: 09 December, 2017, 10:44:15 am »
20 minutes of Hellboy II. Yawn.  Sad comment on world that making such predictable shit is profitable.

Same goes for 90% of films that have a pic of a bloke[,ss] with a gun on the poster, films where idiots rent a remote house, films that mention the word apocalypse - ah, finish the list yourself. And apart from the CGI, Neil DeGreaser Tyson's "Cosmos" is primary-school compared to the Butt-Headed Astronomer's original.

« Reply #7660 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:08:25 am »
20 minutes of Hellboy II. Yawn.  Sad comment on world that making such predictable shit is profitable.

I enjoyed both Hellboy films in spite of myself.  Maybe it helped to take small boys to the pictures with you.

ian

« Reply #7661 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:56:39 am »

It wasn't. They killed his puppy. So he made things right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7662 on: 09 December, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »

I enjoyed both Hellboy films in spite of myself.  Maybe it helped to take small boys to the pictures with you.

I saw The Empire Strikes Back in such circumstances. Most memorable bit was when my son had too much chocolate mousse and Pepsi afterwards and I had to tip the waiter 50 fr after he cleaned up the puke.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7663 on: 09 December, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »

It was stupid. It was also fun.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7664 on: 09 December, 2017, 04:30:30 pm »
12 Monkeys

I've been hankering after seeing Brazil again recently but I don't have a copy of it and it's not on any streaming service. But I noticed 12 Monkeys was on telly and that's the next best thing. It has aged surprisingly well. Most enjoyable. Brad Pitt is still as annoying as ever though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7665 on: 09 December, 2017, 05:06:16 pm »
12 Monkeys
 Brad Pitt is still as annoying as ever though.
He plays a moronic conspiracy-theory psychopath incredibly well. Makes you wonder.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7666 on: 09 December, 2017, 06:59:57 pm »

It was stupid. It was also fun.

Just watched it.

It should be a lot worse than it was.

simonp

« Reply #7667 on: 10 December, 2017, 12:54:19 am »
The Big Sick.

« Reply #7668 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:35:29 am »
... There's a 1980s TV film on the same subject called the Red Monarch - not currently generally available on dvd (going for £30 on Amazon which is way too expensive) ...
It's £6-69, here.
Cheers Tim, duly ordered!

I suspect that you probably had the same level of success that I did?

Quote from: base.com
Title: Red Monarch - £6.69
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #7669 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:45:27 am »

... or if you are basically a small boy?  I enjoyed both films too. ;D

For some reason they've decided to 'reboot' the series.  After all, it's almost 10 years since the last film. :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7670 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:18:56 am »
... There's a 1980s TV film on the same subject called the Red Monarch - not currently generally available on dvd (going for £30 on Amazon which is way too expensive) ...
It's £6-69, here.
Cheers Tim, duly ordered!

I suspect that you probably had the same level of success that I did?

Quote from: base.com
Title: Red Monarch - £6.69

Yeah.  I guess the three or so copies they had sitting on the shelf for the last ten years sold out pretty quickly after Death of Stalin came out.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7671 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:56:54 am »
Dr No

The first ever Bond, James Bond. set the tone for all the others, I guess.
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7672 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:58:27 am »
12 Monkeys

I've been hankering after seeing Brazil again recently but I don't have a copy of it and it's not on any streaming service. But I noticed 12 Monkeys was on telly and that's the next best thing. It has aged surprisingly well. Most enjoyable. Brad Pitt is still as annoying as ever though.

Wonderful film.

Ever since I saw 'Tom's Midnight Garden' when I was a teenager I think I've been drawn to love stories across time. 

'12 Monkeys' is such a film, with a similar revelation.   'Terminator' is another (Yes, it's a love story at heart).  'Eternal Sunshine....' and so on.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7673 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:59:43 am »
Dr No

The first ever Bond, James Bond. set the tone for all the others, I guess.

Waits for the pedants to flex their trivia knowledge.  Yes..yes we all know.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7674 on: 11 December, 2017, 03:51:32 pm »
Finished watching Hellboy II on the turbo. Just the right level of brainlessness for pedalling. Need a few more like that now.