Author Topic: Can you guess what this was in its former life? (Answer supplied in spoiler.....  (Read 4347 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Here's a clue: there are three elements here: not the nut and bolt, obvs. And @PpPete might guess as he knows what i have on my audax bike. This has just been added to my New! Shiny! Thorn Raven.

and here's the answer:
(click to show/hide)

I'm very pleased with this, as it looks a lot nicer and smarter than the one on my audax bike, which does a great job of making me look like a fully paid up member of the old codgers' club of Audax UK. (which I suppose I am..)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
My guess was wrong, perhaps in more ways than one.
(click to show/hide)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I got the...

(click to show/hide)

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
Very well done, Sir (edit - oops and Madam).
excellent and extremely close - and it could well have been that. However, the bit of reflective from a road cone that I found covered in grease in a ditch several years ago and brought home (on the grounds that it might come in useful one day) went on the same item for my audax bike. This specific bit of reflective came from a high-viz jacket for a fire warden found at work in a disused part of the office when refurbishment was going on and it would have been thrown away. So it didn't belong to anyone really and it wasn't "theft".

As an aside, this type of reflective is best for stuff that is permanently outside and in the rain, and on the bike. For jackets I use the thinner stuff you get on the sort of reflective jacket that costs €2 in a French supermarket. The labels on those jackets say the reflective lasts for only 21 wash cycles, which for my running jackets and my windproof cycling top is an entire lifetime.

And to be even more tedious I sew those strips on using my 100 year old German sewing machine bought in an Oxford junk shop for a tenner.

Cudzoziemiec

And to be even more tedious I sew those strips on using my 100 year old German sewing machine bought in an Oxford junk shop for a tenner.
Nothing tedious about that. I'm quite envious of your ability to sew, your old machine and your luck in finding things.  :thumbsup:
The labels on those jackets say the reflective lasts for only 21 wash cycles, which for my running jackets and my windproof cycling top is an entire lifetime.
But I can't say I approve of this. I mean, washing a windproof top?  :o

Nothing tedious about that. I'm quite envious of your ability to sew, your old machine and your luck in finding things.  :thumbsup:

Seconded!  Cudzoziemic your inner womble is showing... ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Cudzoziemiec

;D  :thumbsup: :D

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
Ok. I'll put up some pix of my latest creation.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Is spinnaker tape a downwind version of helicopter tape?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Or hockey tape for non-Canadians?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime