Author Topic: A random thread for small audax things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 17288 times)

Chris S

Do we have one of these threads here? If so - mods - please feel free to do your merging thing.

This weekend, we visited one of the most poignant controls we've ever visited, here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douaumont_Ossuary

Our PoP was a "Souvenir Euro" from a vending machine - but really, what I took away was a mental image of crosses, and earthwork traces of trench-works and gun emplacements, now merged over time with some lovely woodland.

I found the whole experience, really quite moving; on several levels. Audax cycling is a Bit Weird to begin with, but when you mix it up with History, and the Real World, it can mess with your head!

ETA: Our PoP from Douaumont:

Chris S

We've entered another ride En France next week.

There are some really big numbers appearing in weather forecasts; highs of 36C and lows of 26C. Well. That'll be fun  :D.

I would love that ....................................... NOT!

Best of luck with the ride and keep hydrated!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Chris -- highs of 36 - are quite seriously "bad" news. If there is also a bit of a breeze - so that all perspiration does not even stay on your skin for 10 seconds - then you do not realise just how dehydrated you are getting. 

So   

DRINK lots , and often - and make sure you fill your bottles whenever you can.

OK this is Granma and eggs -- but my OZ experiences tell me -- DRINK , DRINK DRINK - or you can find yourself crawling along at 15kph absolutely desperate for fluid.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
subject to validation of the final ride for this year's SR, I am now an ultra ranonneur.

Now to decide what next, I've been aiming for this since approx my first full season in AUK. 
It won't be a DIY400 in a loop around east anglia, of that I'm certain.  That was the ride i've just finished, which was driven by calendar 400s being before taller guy's A-levels finished and too many other things getting in the way etc.  I kept going because the thought of starting another 400 this season/a complete SR another season seemed far worse.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Congratulations arabella.  UR is an award well worth obtaining and demonstrates longevity, tenacity and determination.

What is the point of sleeping with the DIY organiser if he doesn't prioritise your rides? Hmm.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Weeell, lat time I looked you lived in Suffolk which means he isn't technically YOUR DIY organiser  :demon:
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

So what's the answers to 'what Arabella is going to do next with a long ride?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Chris -- highs of 36 - are quite seriously "bad" news. If there is also a bit of a breeze - so that all perspiration does not even stay on your skin for 10 seconds - then you do not realise just how dehydrated you are getting. 

So   

DRINK lots , and often - and make sure you fill your bottles whenever you can.

OK this is Granma and eggs -- but my OZ experiences tell me -- DRINK , DRINK DRINK - or you can find yourself crawling along at 15kph absolutely desperate for fluid.

Definitely, I found myself running out of water at about 100km of 115, that last stint in July on Majorca was hard work. Luckily the hotel hadn't run out of beer by the time I got back for lunch
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

While the points champion, club championship, FWC etc is being decided, it's hotting up in the battle of the Clems!

I accused John Clemens of being my arch-enemy when I met him on the Gala 200 in October, as he was always just above me (alphabetically) in the tables. And now there's another one, dammit. Does Richard Clements post on here? And does he also get annoyed at his surname being misspelt nearly all the time?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Meanwhile, my attempt at 40 points at 40 years of Audax UK has reached a magnificent, er, two points. Some work to do, then.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Meanwhile, my attempt at 40 points at 40 years of Audax UK has reached a magnificent, er, two points. Some work to do, then.

Was it you that said in the official place that you could see those who are 40 this year trying for 40@40@40?

Just so I know who to blame  ;)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing

my 50 points at 50 yrs old is going ok, up to 16 so far

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Was it you that said in the official place that you could see those who are 40 this year trying for 40@40@40?
Detailed research suggests that yes, it was me. Sorry.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
I seem to have entered an event! I'm in my third year of AUK membership* and thought it about time I got started. So if anyone sees a confused rider on the Over the Hills and Far Away from Tewkesbury (June 4th), its probably me.

* worth it for the magazine alone.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

alfapete

• Oh dear
It's a good one to choose for your debut - excellent organiser and a pub start and finish with only one noticable hill. I'll be there, along with a couple of people riding their second event. Look forward to seeing you - any distinguishing features? Mine is a white Rourke with my name on the top bar.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
I'll be wearing either a red or celeste YACF top and riding a Genesis CdF with all black components.

ETA:
and I'll be riding v e r y   s l o w l y from Welland to Malvern.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Saftlad

• I don't do hills...
I'll be along too, an equally slow rider the whole way round, though I normally start off far too fast for my fitness level.

I'm on a grey Genesis Equilibrium, if I go past anyone, shout out to me to pace myself please  :thumbsup:

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
While the points champion, club championship, FWC etc is being decided, it's hotting up in the battle of the Clems!

I accused John Clemens of being my arch-enemy when I met him on the Gala 200 in October, as he was always just above me (alphabetically) in the tables. And now there's another one, dammit. Does Richard Clements post on here? And does he also get annoyed at his surname being misspelt nearly all the time?

I see CLAYTON has sneeked further ahead in the club championship.

I see CLAYTON has sneeked further ahead in the club championship.

I have 4 points still to add, though :)

(Chris hasn't added last Monday's ride yet, and there's Saturday's ECE)

I think you'll find Mr Smith works for me.

(I hope no-one reading this actually thinks that's true :o)

He does post here but has only just spotted this  ;D

Never a problem with my his name being misspelt  :)
Eddington Number 75

I think you'll find Mr Smith works for me.

(I hope no-one reading this actually thinks that's true :o)

I'll believe it's not true when he assigns my points from the 2nd of May ;D

He does post here but has only just spotted this  ;D

Never a problem with my his name being misspelt  :)

Aha! The clue's in the name :facepalm:

The three of us could form Clem CC.