Author Topic: Anyone else doing Braziers Run next weekend?  (Read 10288 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Anyone else doing Braziers Run next weekend?
« Reply #50 on: 23 February, 2016, 05:42:21 pm »
Thanks Nick.

I keep looking every few months but the state of what's out there relative to PQ and robustness and price isn't quite hitting the mark for me still.... I'm still using my phone to take pics which is fine so far, I've only had to catch it twice, and that was last year on tour... but I don't want to tempt fate (4000 miles without a visitation on my D+'s and I get 2 in 100km LOL!)
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #51 on: 23 February, 2016, 05:47:21 pm »
You're welcome Jason.  I keep my iPhone in a waterproof case in my other back pocket. I don't use it for photos on the move because it's just that much harder to use while controlling the bike, and I'm usually wired in with an earpiece too.  Plus, even in a waterproof case it's not really designed to be dropped, whereas Nikon claims the camera will be okay — and even if it's not okay, it's much, much cheaper to replace.  I do agree on picture quality.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #52 on: 23 February, 2016, 05:50:58 pm »
Here's some of my pics from the weekends antics... (hopefully this works)

https://goo.gl/photos/71heBtKQj7UshMva9
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #53 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:14:54 pm »
I have a waterproof tough camera as well, though I didn't have it Sunday. I have one of the Panasonic LUMIX DMC waterproof range. Again not quite the same as an SLR on picture quality front, but great for knowing I'll get the shot. It also takes video.

I also have a waterproof mount as part of my GPS mount. It sits below. The quality from the cheap Chinese go pro copy is shockingly bad, but again I can set it on time lapse and leave it running awhile and also not worry about weather.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #54 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:10:15 pm »
Yeah - the good thing about the phone is the geotagging - I played with a go-pro and mount for a while but the video & battery life wasn't really any good, I'd have to come up with some creating mounting to get it out the way of my bar bag :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #55 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:28:35 pm »
Nice ride report Wilky and thanks for the link

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #56 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:32:14 pm »
Yeah - the good thing about the phone is the geotagging -

The Nikon AW100 does that too, and has a reasonably wide-angle lens.  It still over-compresses the JPEGs, though  ::-)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #57 on: 23 January, 2018, 11:29:29 am »
Entered for the 2018 edition (the 100). It'll be good to see some of the Dunwich Dynamo patch in daylight!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #58 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »
Can rarely do this ride now as it's usually coincides with half term.

It's a shame as I used to enjoy making it into a 200 by riding to the start and then part way home, and I can pretty much ride the entire thing from memory now.

Good news is that it might not be too many years before I bring MiniGB along to do the 50km version.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #59 on: 28 January, 2018, 04:40:49 pm »
I'm in. It's about time I did this one and about time I did another Audax generally, having not done anything since LEL  :( :-[
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #60 on: 28 January, 2018, 06:16:43 pm »
I'm in 2 minds as usual about this, but I'll probably ECE it and go from there :)
Regards,

Joergen

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #61 on: 02 February, 2018, 01:17:28 pm »
Thank you for your interest and entires to this event.

Due to a family illness, I have not promoted the event as much as in previous years and consequently the number of entrants will be substantially reduced this year.

I will be closing entries on February 11. If you are planning on riding with someone who hasn't yet entered please encourage them to do so before this date. I will not be accepting entries on the line.

If anyone who lives local is interested in helping with a route check, drop me a line.

I'm in. It's about time I did this one and about time I did another Audax generally, having not done anything since LEL  :( :-[

Rob if you want a lift to and from the event get in touch... I usually leave around 7am and return around 4.30.

Kieron

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #62 on: 06 February, 2018, 11:49:26 pm »
I'll be there. Trying to up the general miles for 2018, after a crap year in 2017 for lots of reasons. This is local to me, and will be my third BP of 2018. Looking forward to it!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #63 on: 07 February, 2018, 01:33:46 pm »
I'll be there. Trying to up the general miles for 2018, after a crap year in 2017 for lots of reasons. This is local to me, and will be my third BP of 2018. Looking forward to it!
If you fancy upping the BP to a 200-ish there is a small ECE ACME peloton forming, planning on a 6am start for leisurely trundle over to Henham for 2nd breakfast before setting off on the main event.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #64 on: 15 February, 2018, 12:24:11 pm »
We're in.... not done a ride from Henham since 2010 I think. Just realised that one of the Shaftesbury rides was my first ever audax (I thought it was Stevenage but a check through the brevet card box revealed otherwise!). ECE'ing from London, that 09.00 start is just a bit more challenging than the Witham 10.00, so hoping for an above zero night on Saturday. Straight out on the way there and a wiggle to Dunmow and then back to our favourite (*) station at Harlow Town to complete the 100km without having to face outer London traffic in the afternoon.

* Not in the normal sense of the word, but very good fast service to Liverpool Street, very large lifts and no issues getting on the "forbidden" Stansted Express trains even with a bike that is about 2.5m long!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #65 on: 16 February, 2018, 11:33:58 am »
Ahh, be good to see you there bhoot to witness at least some of my 12th BR of 12 consecutive months of the RRtY that I'm not doing.

p.s. the Witham Peloton is leaving at 6:30 and collecting members along the way.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #66 on: 17 February, 2018, 01:12:47 pm »
Looks like it should be a good day for it.  I'm DNS due to being unwell and going a bit stir crazy looking at the nice weather outside  :'(
Regards,

Joergen

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #67 on: 17 February, 2018, 02:31:06 pm »
Looks like it should be a good day for it.  I'm DNS due to being unwell and going a bit stir crazy looking at the nice weather outside  :'(

Aww.....I hope you recover soon.
I wouldn't worry about the weather though. It's bound to be soggy with wind - and if we're really lucky, ice to start too.
Huggy was supposed to order this for tomorrow but I think he either got the dates wrong or he incurred the wrath of one of the gods with a particularly sick sense of humour, at some point.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #68 on: 17 February, 2018, 03:35:25 pm »
I had a nice 60km Gritted route for the first part of ECE sorted... I was even contemplating driving and doing the 50km but not sure I've the energy at the moment... On the mend though so hopefully out Monday for some fresh air
Regards,

Joergen

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #69 on: 18 February, 2018, 08:09:24 am »
Promising sun piercing through the mists of Cheshunt... looking like a good day for it.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #70 on: 18 February, 2018, 05:27:28 pm »
That was a very nice day out, thanks Kieron and partner for the tlc. Somehow managed to arrive in very good time after a fast first ece leg from home (not our normal style, required a rather early wake up call).
After fuelling up with more tea and cake, we cycled off to Great Dunmow and then Harlow Town to complete our 200km, and it was a novelty to do it in daylight! Met lots of riders on the road and in the club hut, thanks for the company which as always enhanced the ride.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #71 on: 18 February, 2018, 05:40:29 pm »
Very enjoyable, many thanks to Victoria CC. The rain held off in the end. Just missed my once an hour train back from Elsenham so added a micro ECE via the Spoons in Bishop's Stortford.

Did anyone else sample the cake at Cosy Cafe?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #72 on: 19 February, 2018, 11:29:56 pm »
Hello All, thanks to a number of fellow cyclists who lent me their pumps. After going smoothly through the first loop, and enjoying lovely refreshments I punctured initially at about 60km. The gromet in my pump had perished, i borrowed a pump got going only to puncture again. It wasn't user incompetence , honestly. Borrowed another pump then went back to the Ut. Seemed daft to continue with no pump. Total distance was 79 km. So ok. The spirit of helpfulness really was appreciated. Thanks to the organizer and his helper. Next stop Horsepower 200 with 2 pumps. Was it wilkyboy I spoke to at the end?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #73 on: 19 February, 2018, 11:40:00 pm »
Hello All, thanks to a number of fellow cyclists who lent me their pumps. After going smoothly through the first loop, and enjoying lovely refreshments I punctured initially at about 60km. The gromet in my pump had perished, i borrowed a pump got going only to puncture again. It wasn't user incompetence , honestly. Borrowed another pump then went back to the Ut. Seemed daft to continue with no pump. Total distance was 79 km. So ok. The spirit of helpfulness really was appreciated. Thanks to the organizer and his helper. Next stop Horsepower 200 with 2 pumps. Was it wilkyboy I spoke to at the end?

Not me, I wasn't out yesterday.  (I would've lent you my pump, though, had I been  ;) )

« Reply #74 on: 21 February, 2018, 12:06:32 am »
A nice simple ride and superb spread at the HQ. Thanks to the Org.

Got up 45mins late and gave myself 50 minutes to get to the HQ - unlikely considering it's 22 miles. Got ther 15mins late which is quite good for me and luckily Kieron was still there so started Ok. A bit cold and foggy at the start although the ride down as far as Newport was in sunshine. Fog cleared quickly and the ride went well due to good wather and generally good road conditions. One area of flooding and a few patches of mud but generally not bad. Got back around by 1:30.  Even after a prolonged chat about Audax nostalgia managed to make it back to Cambridge via a 41 mile route to make up the ECE before dark for the first time this year